Missed a dose (not feeling so well)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MrE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So the other day I forgot to take my Depakote...I took it about 9 hours late but that seemed to trigger seizure activity...right after I took it I started feeling dizzy and twitchy and had a hard time breathing...my breathing was funky and irregular...like I couldn't breathe consistently and I would like exhale randomly or something weird like that...like I was trying to hyperventilate or something...can't explain...but I felt like that was triggering anxiety and then I started feeling like I gonna have to run to the bathroom to either puke or crap...I was trying to fall asleep but nope...wasn't happening...I was just too jerky and twitchy and couldn't breathe right...

Well if you guys aren't familiar with my diagnosis then here they are...from what I can remember...

Neurological Diagnosis:

-Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy (with partial complex symptoms)
-3x4cm (golf ball sized) Arachnoid Cyst in Right Temporal Lobe

Mental Diagnosis:

-Bipolar 1
-Intermittent Explosive Disorder
-Schizotypal Personality Disorder

So I just got back from the stores with my wife and I walked into a grocery store and right into FLUORESCANT LIGHT HELL...though that didn't kick in till about halfway through the store so I had my wife next to me holding my arm cuz I thought I was gonna fall down or something...felt like I was walking on a boat...those darn fluorescent lights always make me sick...I hate them!!! and especially since my dumb self forgot take my meds the other night it was that much worse...I had to quickly get out of there and sit in the car while my wife checked out...

I notice most of the time I have a hard time breathing...it's like a mix of epilepsy/anxiety...my perception is distorted...I don't know what anyone is saying or doing...I can't think...nothing makes sense...I'm feeling dizzy and lightheaded and the lights are too bright...sounds are distant and muffled or just sound like echoing farts to me...then I feel like I'm falling into some sort of psychotic break from "reality" and into schizophrenic maelstrom...feeling paranoid and having all these bizarre feelings and sensations and then I enter this "dream world" where I feel like I'm asleep and can't stop staring into space...yet somehow I am aware...it's like I am having multiple types of seizures in some sort of cyclical pattern...

Well my sleep patterns are getting weirder and weirder...so I shouldn't be surprised...I'm just a little worried if I am going to have a full blown jerk in a fetal position with my eyes rolling in the back of my head type seizure...

My wife says to take an extra Depakote...what do you guys think...I should probably call my neurologist huh? (ummm yeah :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Do NOT take an extra dose of Depakote right now. Especially if its not to long before your next dose (I don't know if you take 2 daily). With my meds (bipolar1 as well as E) and I did take Depakote in the past for bipolar, I was taking it 2 xs daily. I was told if I missed morning dose to take as soon as possible as long as it was still several hours before the night dose, then take it too. So I never took morning dose if I was more than3-4 hours late, personally. That's the way both my psych told me over the years.

If you have already taken it to close to your night dose I would skip it then take your morning and do as usual. I know you don't want a seizure but you really DONT want a overdose of Depakote either.

Call your nuerologist if you can. It would be best to get it from him! :hi5:

Well I take 2 then 3x500mg (alternating back and forth from day to day) at night time (usually around 9pm) but I took it at 5 am when I remembered...it was a 2 day but I decided to take 3 instead....did the same today...wonder if this is what is making me feel out of it...

I called my neuro (which is a her btw) and left a message...I'll probably just skip this next dose and start taking it at night again...well see what my neuro says

All of the meds I'm on I take at 7am and 7pm. If I missed taking my meds (even if it's just one pill) on time, depending on when I realized I didn't take it, I'll either take it or just let it go until the next time I take it. If I see that I didn't take it within a few hours, no longer than 5, I'll take them. But if it's been longer than that I'll just wait and take only the meds that I take in the pm. I never double the dose.

Thanks guys! :)

Yeah I just freak out when I can't remember if I took my Depakote or not...and so I usually take it as soon as I remember...even if it's past the threshold of timing...I know I shouldn't do that but like I said...I freak out worrying that I'm gonna have a seizure...I tend to freak out and worry a lot which I know is unhealthy but hey it's part of my "diagnosis" and yes I'm seeing a counselor...I have to cuz if I don't my "episodes" will start up again...

but anyway my wife just found this sweet little stray kitten...it's fluffy with grey and black stripes and it's two back paws are white like it's wearing white boots...so cute! :D

We want to keep it but our other kitty doesn't seem to happy...I hope she gets over it...if not I don't know :|

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :)

Yeah I just freak out when I can't remember if I took my Depakote or not...and so I usually take it as soon as I remember...even if it's past the threshold of timing...I know I shouldn't do that but like I said...I freak out worrying that I'm gonna have a seizure...I tend to freak out and worry a lot which I know is unhealthy but hey it's part of my "diagnosis" and yes I'm seeing a counselor...I have to cuz if I don't my "episodes" will start up again...

but anyway my wife just found this sweet little stray kitten...it's fluffy with grey and black stripes and it's two back paws are white like it's wearing white boots...so cute! :D

We want to keep it but our other kitty doesn't seem to happy...I hope she gets over it...if not I don't know :|

Why don't you buy a med pack. You can get them at Walmart and they come in different sizes so that people who take tons of meds a day (like me) can fit a days worth in each specified day. You can get a week pack that has AM and PM slots and just count all your meds for the week in each slot. Then you will know wether or not you remembered to take your meds that morning. Its a tremendous help! They even have 4slot ones for people who take meds 4 times daily a week.

The kitten sounds adoreable. If your cat is older it will take less time for them to bond but you might need several days still. One way for them to sniff each other without one getting killed is to put the kitten in the bathroom (or another room ) and let them sniff each other under the door to begin with. This is how they begin to know one another (you probably knew that). Good luck. I hope it goes well! :banana:

Why don't you buy a med pack. You can get them at Walmart and they come in different sizes so that people who take tons of meds a day (like me) can fit a days worth in each specified day. You can get a week pack that has AM and PM slots and just count all your meds for the week in each slot. Then you will know wether or not you remembered to take your meds that morning. Its a tremendous help! They even have 4slot ones for people who take meds 4 times daily a week.

The kitten sounds adoreable. If your cat is older it will take less time for them to bond but you might need several days still. One way for them to sniff each other without one getting killed is to put the kitten in the bathroom (or another room ) and let them sniff each other under the door to begin with. This is how they begin to know one another (you probably knew that). Good luck. I hope it goes well! :banana:

Nah I don't need a med pack...I don't take tons of meds a day...just Depakote once a day...I just need to remember to take my Depakote at the same time plain and simple...the only problem I'm having is getting to bed at a consistent hour...which is because of my unpredictable mania...but there's no excuse...I could simply set an alarm to go off at the same time everyday...until I'm reconditioned to subconsciously remember and no longer need it...I've also been working out a lot lately which I know has had some impact on how I sleep...but anyway yeah...it's 10 in the morning...I'll take my Depakote at 9 as usual and try to cut back on the exercise a while...grrr

And as far as the kitties go...they are both really sweet...I don't think there will be any "killing" going on...my cat I already have was just "vibrating" and hissing but she's just being jealous and needs to knock it off :p

I'm sure they will be good friends soon. :)

Actually I'm not so sure about that lol...unfortunately my cat who is a Burmese (black with greenish yellow eyes) takes after her "daddy" who is dark and moody (and who also wears black all the time lol were "goth")...yes me...though it is not an "evil" type of dark and moody...just more complex and sensitive I guess...in reality we are both very sweet and friendly creatures...were just not that social...with anyone...were picky and specific...yeah I've come to the conclusion she is my "familiar"...were both water signs too...she's a Pisces...I'm a Scorpio...but my wife is a Leo :D (not sure what the new kitty is though)

Last edited:
My daughter was goth all thru Junior high and high school. She doesn't dress that way much anymore but now her girlfriend (her partner) Has tattooed her arms up and down so she has to show them. Chest and back too. Oh ya, ankles and some on right thigh. She looks nothing like what I gave birth too. :) Forgot to mention all the piercings. lol She's 22.

Hah cool...I was sort of joking more or less...I mean I do love black and I have my share of tattoos/piercings but nothing "drastic"...I just express myself how I like (I'm an artist...well "musician")...I use to dress more extreme but I was also single at the time...now that I'm married I dress differently...more "casual" I guess...started wearing more colors (pants/shorts) but yeah most of my shirts are either band shirts (which are all black lol) or just plain black shirts (it's probably because of my OCD and the fact that black is my favorite "color")...but I also have my share of "geek" shirts...like star wars and anime or whatever...yeah I have a "geek bone " 8)

I'm 30 but seriously time is an illusion...you are as old you feel :D

Age is an illusion. My daughter has always been drastic but she inherited it. lol My son is the same way! :) They are not "wild " though so it doesn't really bother me.

Yeah well I was a "metalhead" back then...now I'm more of an "electrohead"...I still love and listen to many types of rock/metal...just most of my time is spent listening to variations of electronic music (and/or making it)...but yeah...

I use to drink and "do drugs"...but that was only for a short period of time and it wasn't heavily...a phase...it's called being a stupid kid lol...but I never went to parties or anything like that...I still don't and probably never will...crowds just isn't my thing...never was...it's just too much stimulation for me...I get irritated and paranoid and have panic/rage attacks...to be honest I don't think it's a "mental illness"...just my "personality" I guess...it's not my fault the world misunderstands me or can't accept me for who I am...besides the only person you really need is yourself (you know what I mean ;))

If I forgot a dose , I'd take it as soon as I remembered if it was with in 2 hrs of when I usually took it, other than that I waited till the next dose.

I have an alarm set for all the times that I take my meds. The alarm for my am meds is set on my alarm clock. My afternoon and evening dosages I have alarms set on my cell phone. If I don't do this I won't wake up or will loose track of time forget to take them on time.

Our first cats, when I was still living at home, were all strays. The mommy cat came to the house and we started feeding her. She ended up having kittens and they all got brought into the house after that.

When I moved out I got two cats of my own at the humane society. I had to put one down a few years ago and got another one. My cat at home didn't like it at first, and the new cat was pretty afraid of him. He'd hiss at her and she hid from him. I had to feed them in different rooms because they didn't want to be in the same room together.

It took about a month before they got to be ok with each other. As time went by you would have never known they had fought at all.

It's pretty funny now because the new cat, who is a good bit younger than my other cat, likes to play hide and seek with him - her version though. She will hide behind a door, under something or in the hall and wait for him to walk by. When he does she jumps out and gets him, it's pretty funny to watch.

The only thing they really fight over now is me. Both of them want to sit or lay on me but doesn't want the other one to be there too!

Well I've gotten back on track with my meds...and I'm sleeping at night now! HOORAY!!! :)

Yeah I know it's better to sleep at night...when it's dark...cuz there is less noise and well...less light lol...and your quality of sleep is better...I usually sleep around 12 hours...that's the norm for me...if I wake up feeling weak or I can't stop yawning...I know I haven't gotten quality sleep...or that I've had seizure activity in my sleep or too many emotionally charged dreams or mind altering nightmares...

but yeah I just need to stay consistent with this "schedule" and remembering to take my meds is EASY AS PINEAPPLE :D

Our first cats, when I was still living at home, were all strays. The mommy cat came to the house and we started feeding her. She ended up having kittens and they all got brought into the house after that.

When I moved out I got two cats of my own at the humane society. I had to put one down a few years ago and got another one. My cat at home didn't like it at first, and the new cat was pretty afraid of him. He'd hiss at her and she hid from him. I had to feed them in different rooms because they didn't want to be in the same room together.

It took about a month before they got to be ok with each other. As time went by you would have never known they had fought at all.

It's pretty funny now because the new cat, who is a good bit younger than my other cat, likes to play hide and seek with him - her version though. She will hide behind a door, under something or in the hall and wait for him to walk by. When he does she jumps out and gets him, it's pretty funny to watch.

The only thing they really fight over now is me. Both of them want to sit or lay on me but doesn't want the other one to be there too!

Kitties...what will you do with them? I know!...SQUEEZE THEM! :D

I think my kitties would squeeze me way before I got the chance to squeeze them! I'll yell at them but they look at me with that 'I'm sorry mommy' look. One will get up on one side of me and the other cat will get on the other side of me and rub me all over and give me kisses I get squeezed to death!

The older one usually knows when I have a seizure and will get on top of me. He won't let me up until he feels it's ok and his mommy's back to normal. I'm going to loose it when he goes!

Back
Top Bottom