Mobile Phones and Epilepsy - an article...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cell phone batteries

Is it the cell phone batteries causing the problems or the radiation of the signal? We all know how many lives are saved by cell phones every day, so I hope that the engineers can come up with a way to make them useful and not harmful. I would hate to think of my daughter having a seizure and me not having anyway to get help quickly.

There was a story on CNN about this very topic. The docs say it is the radiation from the signal that's the problem, and to never hold the phone to your ear. Use an earpiece. Interesting... most cell phones in their phamplet/directions say to hold the phone at least an inch from your ear. I didn't know that.

Even though studies say there is no problem, most of the studies were funded by cell phone companies. In the CNN TV story neurosurgeons and neurologists swore there is more brain tumors now, located near where people hold their cell phones. The neurosurgeons use an earpiece now. So does Dr. Sanjay Gupta (spelling?) who covered the story. He didn't use an earpiece until he covered the story.

I tried to find a full video of the coverage, but this is all I could find:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/28/45/
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/30/ac360-preview-gupta-digs-into-cell-phone-safety/

Last edited:
Sorry Endless

The most recent wave of media connecting cell phones with cancer is that the studies were done re. cancer not epilepsy and that this most recent study took old data & rearranged it until they found a way that it might possibly imply that cell phones may have carcinogenic properties.
After reviewing dozens of published studies on the matter, the International Agency for Research on Cancer placed cellphone radiation in the category of 2B: "possibly carcinogenic."

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20110531/cellphones-electromagnetic-radiation/

There really is nothing new and I feel that most the media is over dramatizing the issue.

My ex-husband, a heavy cell phone user, was diagnosed with a brain tumor several years ago...an oligodendroglioma. And yes, it was on the side of his head against which he'd hold his cell phone...so I'm not as quick to dismiss the studies against the safety of cell phones. Plus, I was using a cordless phone myself (and heavily) when my health first began to decline with these seizures. And on top of that, a cell phone tower was erected on a water tower up the street from me, less than a block away.

Truthfully, it scares me how quick people are to dismiss any studies that link this technology to illness? Is it because cell phones are convenient and we don't want to go back to the 'stone-age' of corded phones? We always seem to claim we need them for 'emergencies', but probably less than 1/10th of 1% of calls made are true emergencies.

I really think it's important for us to get our priorities straight here. If this technology is doing harm, we need to remove it, and now. And if we take the approach that we'll wait for 100 more years of studies and 'absolute proof', the technology, if it is doing harm (and I believe it is!) will continue to do harm for those 100 years. And how many lives will be lost as a result?

Read this...an excellent article...

Attitudes to the Health Dangers of Non-Thermal EMFs:
http://08189099965995884056-a-g.goo...27a90df488/20080117_bevington_emfs.pdf?part=2

Last edited:
Whether carcinogenic or not, it has been demonstrated that they have an affect on the brain - increasing excitability near the hippocampus. Could there be some sort of kindling effect over time? Who knows. There is a lot we still don't understand about the long term effect this artificial excitability may have on brain function or brain health.

"Has not been demonstated as carcinogenic" does not equal "safe". And if you google the Frieberger Appeal, there are quite a number of researchers/physicians out there who do believe there is already enough evidence out there linking this technology to a variety of health problems, both carcinogenic and otherwise. And the ones still claiming it is safe happen to have been hired by the cell phone industry to boot.

Why are you willing to believe the researchers who claim this technology is safe over those who claim it isn't safe, especially when those still claiming it is safe were hired by industry? And aren't there labels on cell phones warning you to hold it an inch a way from your head? Why?

Back
Top Bottom