Mood Swings - med withdrawal or new med?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sjconner

New
Reaction score
My neuro switched me from Topamax to Lamcital. I was taking 25mg twice a day of Topamax. I started 25mg once a day of Lamcital a week and a half ago (Mar 27) . I took my last Topamax dose on last Tuesday morning (Apr 2). I am supposed to increase my Lamcital to 25mg twice a day on this upcoming Wednesday (Apr 10).

Yesterday I started having terrible mood swings (really depressed to feeling about normal). When I go from depressed to normal, it is like someone flipped a switch. I've never felt this way before. Is this withdrawal from Topamax or starting the Lamcital? Will it get better when I increase my dosage on Wednesday?

Thanks

This is really a question to ask your doctor, and something you should definitely report.

What I can tell you is that you are on an really low dosage of lamictal at the moment, whereas your topamax was at a therepeutic dose. These are the possibilities I know of:
a) Your topamax was controlling your mood swings because it was at a therapeutic level. Now that you are no longer on a therapeutic level of anticonvulsants (which are mood stabilisers) your mood may have begun to swing and may stop once you reach the proper dose of lamictal.
b) You might be swinging as a result of coming off the Topamax, in which case you will normalise eventually.
c) You might be swinging as an initial response to the Lamictal, and that might stop once you're used to it or it may continue if lamictal is simply the wrong drug for you.
d) You might be swinging because you have begun to have epileptic activity as a result of the change over.

I found lamictal to be an excellent mood stabiliser but you really should report any reactions to your doc as soon as possible, because mood swings can have serious consequences. Depression can become a life threatening condition.

Thanks ...I feel better this afternoon. I plan on calling my neuro tomorrow. My husband hasn't known what to do with me lately. I had a crying jag meltdown yesterday. This morning was rough. Thankfully I haven't had too many swings back and forth but the difference between normal and depressed has been huge.

Hey sjconner, I'm doin the same switch. Going from 200 mg of topamax to lamictal (although the generic) and I'm so moody. Depressed but also irritable, and my mood is really all over the place. I wish I had an answer but I don't, hoping you get a good one from your doc since I don't see mine for four months! Can I please ask you to let me know what s/he says?

Mine wants me to switch from Topamax to Lamictal...I wonder what the big deal is? pharmaceutical companies must be pushing some incentive or something lol

Lol must be! I'm okay with it if it means my feet nod hands quit hurting though! Are you moody brandibrat?

I don't see my neuro again until the end of May. I am going to call his nurse tomorrow. So far they have been really, really good about returning calls and answering questions the same day.

My neuro switched me because the Topamax wasn't doing anything for my migraines or seizures. I am not missing the tingly/throbbing hands and soda pop is starting to taste like it is supposed to.

Well, if you ask my daughter she would tell you I'm always moody haha But I haven't switched yet. I'm still on 300mg of the Topamax. But, I see my neuro on Friday to go over the Ambulatory EEG. She gave me the choice to switch to the Lamictal last month but I was hesitant. The Topamax isn't controlling the Myoclonic seizures anymore so I may have to switch after going over the result on Friday.
Did you have the pins and needles in your hands and feet?

Sorry to hear your seizures aren't controlled :s

And yeah, I get the "tingling" (painful!) fingers and toes. Gets to my whole feet and even has spread to my knee a few times. Can't wait! And the pop thing! The first truly fizzy pop will be incredible!

(And, y'know... Hopefully actually controlling my seizures too lol)

I had tingly hands and sometimes my face would be a bit numb. The worst was being a space cadet.

Agreed. I felt so dumb so much of the time. I couldn't recall simple words. It's getting better but it's still rough. It's embarrassing at times!

My neuro was out today. I asked them to have him call me tomorrow ...

I spoke with the Neuro's nurse and saw my primary care doc. My primary care doc thinks the mood swings were from coming off the topamax.

I see my neurologist tomorrow afternoon. I have a feeling I'm going to be taken off the Topamax. My seizures are back full bore :( I'm having 25+ a day again and my brain hasn't slept all week from seizing all night. I feel like a zombie. I'm miserable :(

I hope it goes well for you. The mood swings finallly went away. They started about 4 days after I quit taking the topamax. They lasted about 4 days.

When Kaley went from name brand tegretol to generic she had some pretty bad mood swings. I ended up paying for name brand out of pocket because TRICARE at the time wouldn't pay for it until I threatened congressional complaint. :mrt:

Back
Top Bottom