Muscle spasm response (carry-over from 'I don't understand how I got epilepsy"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sbncmo

New
Reaction score
Endless,

In the other thread you asked about my muscle spasms. I thought I'd start a new post since this differs from the original post.:)

When I had what my doctor thought were muscle spasms, I would become rigid & had a sensation that my entire body would explode. Sometimes my body would contract into a semi-fetal position, but mostly I would just be laying flat on the bed, sometimes with my arms kind of beating the bed. Thankfully they have always been when I was sitting down or laying down, so I've never fallen because of them. They are quite painful. And it is really a weird feeling, felling like my entire body would explode.:blowup2:

I suffer from a lot of muscle spasms too, but none of them are like this. I found out they are tonic seizures. I don't think my family doctor even knew about my history of epilepsy. Maybe if she did, she would have suspected seizures then instead of muscle spasms. She put me on muscle relaxers, but they didn't stop the sensation. But I think she did suspect something else was wrong because after a month she sent me to the neuro that I am currently seeing.

Basically he blew me off at that time. He wanted to run a nerve conduction test on me. I told him that I'd had 3 of them done before & I wouldn't have had that many done if the medical staff had not called them by 3 different names. Normally nerve conduction tests are not painful. (My brother had one & it didn't bother him at all.) But I have 3 muscle diseases & being stuck with the needle/probe cause severe pain & it was extremely noisy (I found out later that when there is noise it is indicating something wrong with the muscles). I would come out curled up in a ball, needing help to walk out, crying like a baby. Anyway, since I refused to have another nerve conduction test, he said he couldn't do anything for me & sent me away.:mad:

When I developed simple partial sensory seizures a year later, my doctor was sure it was seizures & sent me back to the same neuro. Again he started to blow me off, saying if I wasn't losing consciousness, I wasn't having seizures. By that time, I remembered my previous neuro/psych diagnosing me with a seizure disorder (he ran 2-3 eeg's over a 12 year period & each showed continuing seizures), even though I didn't understand what it meant. So this neuro decided to run the eeg & found multiple seizures & his atttude changed, so things are better between us.

I guess, in short, I don't know whether you muscle spasms would be seizure related or not, but if the ep med works, take it!:tup:

I hope this helps. I'd be curious to know if anyone else feels like their body will explode. Like I said, it's a very strange & painful sensation.

Shelia

Back
Top Bottom