Musical Ears

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm wondering, whilst listening to music in my head, if anyone has this? It's called musical ears. I have not been diagnosed yet. Still setting up appts., but I do have untreated sleep apnea.

Sometimes men are singing...all different types of music. Some I know...but mostly tunes that I don't know. It usually has a pipe organ type of sound. Although I do get other types of instruments. Sometimes I just get a announcer on a radio show doing weather or sounding like he's an auctioneer.

Anybody relate to this? And if you can, tell me what you hear and what your dr's have said about it. Thanks!

Hi GoldSeraph,

Music is very creative. Have you written down the sounds? Instead of trying to be diagnosed, just enjoy the music.

Have you been to Speber's Auditorium? There is fabulous music here at CWE.

Great idea...because most of them are lovely. I don't read or write music though :(

I don't know if you're aware of the wonderful neurologist, Oliver Sacks, but in his latest book, "Hallucinations", he has a chapter entitled, "Hearing Things". It's about this sort of thing, hearing things that aren't there. He also has a chapter about "The 'Sacred' Disease". That being epilepsy. It's a fascinating book. But then, all of his books have been.

Cint, I'll google it and check it out! Thanks so much for your input. I've selected a neurologist in my area that specializes in epilepsy. As luck would have it, there is a sleep center there too! I do notice that perhaps the music is a precursor a day or so before I'm about to have a nocturnal episode. I did have one yesterday...but it was very very mild. I only heard the metallic noise and some electrical sensation. Today the music is gone. I used to think this was all paranormal experiences....but now I'm swinging over to the medical side of these experiences.

I don't understand what Hallucinations and Hearing things have to do with hearing music.
Cint, you are talking about mental illness.

I listen to beautiful music and then I sing the same songs in my head. It calms me down and prevents seizures.

Music is very creative and good for us. GoldSeraph have you been to Speber's Auditorium.

Ruth, no....Are you speaking of Devorah Sperber? Where is the auditorium? I live in KY.

Hi GoldSeraph,

The auditorium that I am talking about is right here at CWE. Go to Epilepsy Forum, to Our House. Press on Speber's Auditorium.

I am sorry if I misspelled it, I do not know of Devorah Sperber.

I don't understand what Hallucinations and Hearing things have to do with hearing music.
Cint, you are talking about mental illness.

Ruth,
I'm not talking about mental illness, but hallucinations some people experience with neurological problems. Some of them are auditory hallucinations. I've had a couple of these right before going into a T/C seizure. I hear someone screaming my name before I seize, and it doesn't sound pleasant. It is said by several "authorities" that some people hear pleasant music as part of the seizure. Read some of Oliver Sacks' work and you will understand were I'm coming from.

You know Cint, I noticed something this morning. I wasn't having music yesterday....but as I laid down and woke up in between sleep cycles...I heard a quick *crackle*electric noise and immediately the music started...I thought whoa? I wonder if during the day the music isn't part of the cycle of some kind of seizure episode? Is it possible to not be able to feel the seizure other than the music? If it is, then this would explain why sometimes I hear the music and sometimes I don't for no apparent reason. Forgive me trying to figure it all out, as Ruth said I should just enjoy the music. I can't wait to call the neuro and make my appt. Thanks for all you do!

Hi Cint, I did not know that about epilepsy.

Hi GoldSeraph, no forgiveness needed, you go ahead and figure it out. Our brains are so complicated. Let me know what you find out.

You know Cint, I noticed something this morning. I wasn't having music yesterday....but as I laid down and woke up in between sleep cycles...I heard a quick *crackle*electric noise and immediately the music started...I thought whoa? I wonder if during the day the music isn't part of the cycle of some kind of seizure episode? Is it possible to not be able to feel the seizure other than the music? If it is, then this would explain why sometimes I hear the music and sometimes I don't for no apparent reason.

The music you're hearing off and on could possibly be an "aura" or a simple partial seizure. Often times people with temporal lobe epilepsy do have episodes of 'hearing or seeing things' right before a seizure. I've never heard music, but several times before a bad seizure I have "heard someone screaming my name". I was only hallucinating before the seizure.

For more info:http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_temporallobe

The features of seizures beginning in the temporal lobe can be extremely varied, but certain patterns are common. There may be a mixture of different feelings, emotions, thoughts, and experiences, which may be familiar or completely foreign. In some cases, a series of old memories resurfaces. In others, the person may feel as if everything—including home and family—appears strange. Hallucinations of voices, music, people, smells, or tastes may occur. These features are called “auras” or “warnings.” They may last for just a few seconds, or may continue as long as a minute or two.

Cint, you mean the word *aura* isn't necessarily a color? it can be music? And the music could actually be the simple part seizure itself? If this is true, then I am having way more than I thought I was having. I know bottom line, I will have to go back on that awful cpap machine...ugh. Regarding the screaming of your name, yes! I've had that too...and I'd ask my husband what he wanted...he, of course didn't know what the heck I was talking about. I've also often had loud knocks at my door, always three knocks.

Last edited:
GoldSeraph, I believe that they use music in Neurofeedback. Why don't you check that out. Bernard knows all about Neurofeedback.

Bernard started this forum out of love for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

Ruth, I hear music right now. But I am so tired as well. What should I ask Bernard? I don't think I'm understanding you. :( This is a wonderful forum...truly, it has helped me prepare myself for my first visits to the neurologist as well as my symptomology. Bless Bernard!

Ask Bernard about Neurofeedback and your musical ears. He is really for it!!

Have you listened to any of the music that I brought out from Speber's Auditorium? Speber died from epilepsy. He wanted the Auditorium to stay open. His real name was Spencer, he is in Riva's Memorial.

He had his own band. He played two requests that I asked him too. They are still there at the Auditorium. He is very popular here.

You probably do not understand me because I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago. If I do not make sense, I hope you will overlook it. That is why I am not in the Forum very often. I study my Bible everyday and do research on what I read. Go to http://www.jw.org

I hope you will look up the website.

In the Lounge Section, I put in "I Have Alzheimer's." Alzheimer's has more of a stigma than Epilepsy. There are only 4 medications for it.

Cint, you mean the word *aura* isn't necessarily a color? it can be music? And the music could actually be the simple part seizure itself? If this is true, then I am having way more than I thought I was having. I know bottom line, I will have to go back on that awful cpap machine...ugh. Regarding the screaming of your name, yes! I've had that too...and I'd ask my husband what he wanted...he, of course didn't know what the heck I was talking about. I've also often had loud knocks at my door, always three knocks.

An 'aura' isn't simply a color when it comes to epilepsy. It is actually a simple partial seizure. So since you're experiencing many more than you initially thought, contact your neuro. Have you had an EEG and an MRI?

An 'aura' isn't simply a color when it comes to epilepsy. It is actually a simple partial seizure. So since you're experiencing many more than you initially thought, contact your neuro. Have you had an EEG and an MRI?

Cint, :agree: when I have an 'aura' I have several simple partial seizures. I just black out for a few seconds. Then my husband and son get me to a chair or a couch to lie down. Then they give me a Lorazepam to stop and also to prevent a worse seizure.

Isn't a Video EEG more accurate? Sometimes, my regular EEG's come back normal because my seizures are under control. :e:

In epilepsy (as opposed to migraines), aura is a general term that used for simple partial seizures that generalize into complex partials or tonic-clonics. So an aura = a simple partial seizure, and it can show up as a wide variety of sensations:

Motor seizures:
Change in muscle activity/abnormal movements such as jerking of a finger or stiffening of part of the body. Movements may spread, either staying on one side of the body (opposite the affected area of the brain) or extending to both sides. Also can include weakness, which can even affect speech, and coordinated actions such as laughter or automatic hand movements.

Sensory seizures:
Changes in any one of the senses: People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles", numbness, or pain. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space. They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.

Autonomic seizures:
These cause changes in the part of the nervous system that automatically controls bodily functions. May include strange or unpleasant sensations in the stomach, chest, or head; changes in the heart rate or breathing; sweating; or goose bumps.

Psychic seizures:
These seizures change how people think, feel, or experience things: Problems with memory, garbled speech, an inability to find the right word, or trouble understanding spoken or written language. Sudden emotions like fear, depression, or happiness with no outside reason. Out-of-body sensations or feelings of déja vu ("I've been through this before") or jamais vu ("This is new to me"— even though the setting is really familiar).

from: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

Back
Top Bottom