Mutilating myself in my sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kirsten

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I just started Neurontin and for the past few days I haven't woken up with post ictal headaches or wrecked teeth, which is good. But for a while now I've been waking up with huge pieces of my skin completely gauged out. In the past, I've scratched myself during seizures but they were long, minor scratches that seemed to fit what I might do during a tonic clonic. Now, there are deep holes in my skin. I initially suspected maybe I was getting eaten by some sort of bug but this morning I woke up to find two fingernail shaped wounds that are impossible to mistake. It's also telling that there aren't any scratches in places I can't reach, or that are far from my hands. Some of these gauges, like the one on my forehead, are going to leave horrible scars. I don't get what's going on and with so many extra scratches every single night, I'm beginning to look like a total mess. What on earth is going on? Have any of you had something similar happen? Any of you had friends see you do something similar when you were having a seizure of any kind?

I have never had this happen from a seizure but I have had it happen a long, long while back when I was very sick from bipolar depression that I would scratch myself. Because of that I cut my nails to the quick so I wouldn't be able to when I got upset. Maybe that would help your situation so you would be able to gauge yourself during the night. I hope the the best for you!!! :)

Yes, I guess practical solutions are best at the moment. I think I'll wear gloves, though. Not the nails :noevil:

Neurontin can sometimes cause dry skin issues (including eczema or psoriasis), so maybe applying a moisturizer before you go to bed would help too. If it's a side effect, hope it's a temporary one!

Okay, for now I will give cortezone cream a try as well and take myself to the GP on monday, see what he thinks. Some of these lesions look like the mild psoriasis pics on google but some really look like gashes.

Sorry to sound grim, i get this and like the responses both. I HATE cutting my nails short (it feels like a de-clawed cat somehow unnatural) but i have had to. I also found that putting moisturizing cream makes a huge difference. i was clawing at my legs to the point of blood before.

Okay, so gloves, cortisone cream AND moisturiser lol. One has to help, all might be better.

I've never gauged my skin out like that but I did used to scratch myself in my sleep.
I used to often wake up & find big scratches on my face & on my arms which werent there the night before.

My friends & I used to joke about the scratches I'd have on my face & they used to ask me how could I scratch myself so bad if I don't have any fingernails (I bite my nails so they are really short).
I don't think my scratching was seizure or medication related but more that I am a restless sleeper & toss & turn alot.

Reading this thread has just made me realise that I haven't scratched myself in my sleep for months.

I've had issues with my skin since I was little, before I had epilepsy. This runs in my family. So I know that epilepsy or any type of med that I'm on isn't causing it. It happens on my face, arms and legs mostly.

My dermatologist has prescribed things depending on how bad it is but suggests using Lubriderm for dry skin, which gets very itchy. I've scratched it sometimes do bad that I've rubbed the skin off leaving it bloody at times. If I put it on a lot, especially when I get out of the shower and before I go to bed, it helps a ton.

Back
Top Bottom