My artwork in review

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Very nice! I took painting lessons once. My mother's idea. She wanted me to be a well rounded person....so I took violin lessons, piano lesson, voice lessons, crochet lessons, sketching lessons, painting lessons, and lessons in ceramics. I never did have the patience for painting and drawing. I truly admire your talent.

I don't know any fancy art lingo, but here's my review:

I really like your paintings! I especially like the landscapes (I'm partial to landscapes), but the still lifes (still lives?) are neat too - so detailed. My favorite is the first landscape with the tree and mountains. The red in the foreground really grabs my eye.

My sister is also an artist trying to make a go at it in Columbus, OH. Her art is definitely more dark and sinister (and strange). I think she must have issues from her childhood that she is trying to work out (ha ha!). You might be interested to contrast your work with hers. She recently participated in a show where each participant was given the same toy rabbit and asked to interpret it however they wanted. Here's the gallery's site:

http://rivetart.com/rt?go=5&root=shows/2008&suffix=jsp

Her name is Sharon Bell, on the right hand side towards the bottom.

Just goes to show that art is very subjective, and there's something for everyone!

Art Work Review Observations

My artwork was reviewed recently.
So far I like the second review better than the first, but I think a third one is coming. Sometimes what happens with these guys, is that they get tongue tied with art-speak. He is generous to do this, and obviously has a love of art.

Here are the links:
http://artandcritique.com/2008/05/12/robin-neudorfer-landscapes-and-the-simple-average/
http://artandcritique.com/2008/05/15/robin-neudorfer-still-life/
I am more of an illustrator. Pencil, ink and water color are my mediums but after seeing your work I dare to call myself an artist.

Your artwork in the first link reminded of Edward Hopper - especially the overpass. The first review was chalky (messy) written on a single board eg (plane) until all you could see/read was a reviewer obsessed with white (vanilla) repetition. It should be erased! My abbreivated take:Your pillow piece in the second review left me wondering why no mention was made of the the symbolizm of what appeard to be a glass apple edging the "perfect" slept on pillow. An apple is a powerful symbolizm in dreams denoting spiritual and emotional liberation. You may have had your very own! Your second link of paintings were all very pschologically deep while the first, again like Edward Hopper, whispered a haunting stillness. Your range impresses me so. Always - Laurie :rose:

Last edited:
I'm sure the critic knows what s/he's talking about, but the reviews are all Greek to me. All I know is that when I look at the paintings, I find them interesting. I don't try to analyze art consciously though. I prefer to enjoy the visceral reaction.

Great work Robin.

I really like your landscapes of the ocean :).

Is there any thing in particular that you like to use when you do a peice of art work (eg-pencil, paint or charcoal) ?

The art critics reviews didn't make much sense to me but I hope in the end they were giving you a good review lol.

Robin,

Your work is beautiful! You are so talented. What a gift. I would love to be able to paint. It would seem to me to be very relaxing. I actually took alot of art classes in school..but more art history. I like to sketch, but I am not that great. I am always amazed at people with such a true gift..singing, art, sports... I wonder why certain people are so gifted. You know, like when a child is just so talented. Are you familiar with Akiane's art? I think it is beautiful. I am just so amazed that she has such a gift and was so young when she started. I did win a few awards when I was young at the art festival in Florida. I guess I can say I am an amazing cook! Ha! Oh, and decorator, Mom,wife and friend. :)) I love to sing..but I know it's not good.It just makes me happy!
Have a great weekend!
Michelle : )

Skillfer - I think your mother was wise not to limit you to one thing. Showing how many creative options are available allowed you, I am sure, to find hobbies that are not only useful, but a pleasure to engage in. Thank you.

LynnW - I appreciate that you shared your sisters work. At first I had trouble finding hers, but I found some under 2/08. She does have a more graphic style. Since that is my background, I have worked very hard to move away from it. I also don't understand the spelling of Still Life, but it is always referred in the plural with an F, and I have yet to take up the task to find out why.

cinnabar - Long ago I use to think that illustration was going to be my direction, but once I found my artist voice, I realized that I needed to tell my stories in a different way. So I have worked very hard to move away from my more graphic / industrial background. Surely hasn't been easy.

I appreciate your comparison of my work. I do like Hopper a lot.
My landscapes typically are different from my other work since they are done Plein Air ... outside, in the moment, on location. The others have had much more time and thought regarding composition, and lighting. Almost two different worlds but the same hand.

Bernard - my eyes usually glaze over while reading a review. I too go straight for the work. My goal was for my art to make people stop for a moment, so I appreciate your "interesting".

CQ - Thank you. I enjoy painting at the ocean, though it is a challenge, to capture the view in an hour or two. I hope to get to the coast more often soon. I can't say that there is any one medium that I like more. I do need to switch it around often though. I have been working in oil for the past two years. I have also reintroduced myself to charcoal (pencil) which I think is such a lovely, simple, organic medium.

Michelle - Your comment was very much appreciated. Even though I had been in art/ design most of my life, I just learned to paint in oil two years ago. It has taken a lot of patience and dedication to get it to the point I have. So the fact that you like to sketch is a great starting point.
You might check out:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/my-artwork-review-3227/www.dannygregory.com
There is also a yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/everydaymatters/join
where people share their sketches and drawings. I met quite a lot of people through this group.

It is hard being a mom and spreading yourself so thin each day. I finally had to take a class that helped me to realize my strengths and weakneses. That class was a true turning point in my life. I found my passion and never looked back.
I like to sketch, but I am not that great.
I love to sing..but I know it's not good
I am an amazing cook! Ha!
Be careful of this kind of self-talk. It will pull you down each time. Danny's site just might inspire you, especially after you find out why he began his journey into Everyday Matters

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey again!

Maybe I'll take a class sometime when I actually have more spare time.Who knows. I am happy doing what I'm doing right now. Everyone has their own gifts. I feel very blessed with the gifts I do have and who I am as a person. I am still amazed with God-given talents! If you haven't seen Akiane's work check it out..really beautiful!

Ok - sorry if I sounded pushy, I just know I use to say I had no time. Then I began carrying around a sketchbook, and in my brief waiting moments, even in the ER, I would sketch. One day I noticed the sketchbook was filled. I then said I could not start a website because I had nothing to put on it. I began painting one morning a week. Before I knew it I had plenty to put on a website. It is amazing how little babysteps moves you forward.

I do know of Akianes's work, but thanks for reminding me.

Robin.....one word, WOW :tup:

Are the still-lifes actuall drawn, or photographed ? <scratching head>.....as they are soooo detailed, I find it hard to believe that someone would actually go to so much detail with a pencil/brush :ponder: .....whatever way though, they are fantastic

Robin,
No need to apologize. I just know I enjoy it more for just fun..and I think I enjoy other things more right now. My sister should really start painting again. She used to and it was beautiful. She is my eldest sister. She became a nurse and hasn't painted in a while. I am going to remind her..maybe she will again. I know what you mean about putting things off though. .sometimes just go for it. It sounds like you truly enjoy yourself. That's wonderful. And as far as singing..I truly do not carry a tune!!!! But I still love to sing anyways. We have fun with karaoke.

Very enjoyable

Robin,

It the first set, I like the tree trunks. You painted them without adding all the flowers and greenery that I felt would have taken away from the trees. The dark ground left the focus on the trees.

I was really amazed by the black and whites. Great detail, especially throwing in the non-perfect wrinkles instead of a broad smooth surface. Very talented. Thanks for sharing it.

My daughter with the animation degree amazes me like this as well. We visited the site of where flight 93 crashed on 9/11 when she was a senior in high school. I was so moved, then noticed she had returned to the car. I went to check to see if it had been too much for her, instead she was sketching her feelings out to leave at the memorial.

My accountant mind just doesn't work like that.

Thank you TT... the Still Life's are all drawn. There are many, many hours in a drawing like that. I am that crazy...or passionate about my work to do such detail. These are charcoal on a very beautiful paper.

BuckeyeFan - I am always fascinated later, about what catches my eye when out painting plein air. That particular piece was one that I did very early on when learning the art of painting on site. The other two a very dear collector bought.
I understand your daughter's feelings. Sometimes words can't express it. I am very grateful that I was given the gift to express it in another way.
I tend to get bored with numbers...

Last edited:
Robin,
My mother called herself a "commercial artist," but that was gazillions of years ago. She would be considered a graphic artist in our day and time as she drew fashions for advertising departments for newspapers (yes, decades ago!). Many of her friends that she worked with were also fine artists. So I grew up taking music (flute and piano) lessons, having the fun of being around her artist friends, having an Aunt who was a librarian and being exposed to literature and poetry and drama, and really not caring much for math and science or any of those "left-brained" things.
As for the individual who wrote the critiques of your art work, I think this person used too many words to say too little of value. I have not had any of my music compositions critiqued (nine of them have been performed), but I did write classical music reviews for the St. Louis Post newspaper in the early to mid 1990's. The full-time critic who hired me was fanatical about grammar, but my intent in writing "criticism" was to provide 1) constructive criticism if necessary, 2) information about the music, the composer, the difficulty for the performer or ensemble if the performance was excellent, and 3) keep it short and to the point.
I learned later that sentences, phrases, or quotes from three of my reviews were used by the musicians or ensembles for their publicity. I think that indicates the quality of the reviews.
renee97

Robin,
I forgot to mention something. I liked your paintings and still lifes. I would not go to the extreme of saying "Yes, quit your day job NOW," but I do think the work you are doing is very good. Continue on.

More on RobinN's Artwork...plus

Could you elaborate on the "plein Air" process? Is there etomology for Plein? Sounds like a French word. In your second work do you use photographs?
My Grandfather was a Photo Realist back in the 30's and his work was displayed on about forty Saturday Evening Post's Covers. Also Collier's. Talent usually skip a generation and I guess, like him, I enjoy working from photgraphs. Also, what is your medium for your landscapes? Someday, I would like to explore acrylics. For now I'm busy writing my memoir - what a life to be told! Words together, is like painting in many ways.
Always - Laurie :rose:

Thank you TT... the Still Life's are all drawn. There are many, many hours in a drawing like that. I am that crazy...or passionate about my work to do such detail. These are charcoal on a very beautiful paper.

<jaw just dropped>.....well, that's amazing - you have a fantastic gift Robin, I hope you're making loads of money out it :clap:

Hi Laurie -
You are right
En plein air is a French expression which means "in the open air", and is particularly used to describe the act of painting outdoors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_plein_air

In the second set of pictures I worked from life. I set up the still life, then I do a few thumbnails to find the best view. I tone the paper with charcoal and then with a kneaded eraser I pick out the lights, and it all begins to unfold. Occasionally I have worked from photos but I don't enjoy it as much as becoming a part of the landscape the still life has to offer.

Robin,
I forgot to mention something. I liked your paintings and still lifes. I would not go to the extreme of saying "Yes, quit your day job NOW," but I do think the work you are doing is very good. Continue on.

I don't work right now, so that I can take care of Rebecca when it is needed.
However, since beginning this journey I have set myself goals. I told myself by the beginning of 2007 I would have a website. I did, and did it myself, with the help of the wizards at the apple store. By mid January 2007 I was able to announce this accomplishment and I sold 7 pieces. I told myself by the end of 2007 I would have been in an exhibition. I was in 3. For 2008, I said I would continue promoting myself and I have been in 6 more exhibitions, and won two monetary awards.

Personally this has been the best assurance that I am where I need to be. For the moment I am taking care of some family needs, and my studio work is on hold, but I continue to be recognized for my gifts. I have another review coming out in Artist's Magazine soon. I owe much of my perseverance to two mentors:
www.michaelnewberry.com
http://tonylunacreative.com/index.php

I believe I am moving in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom