my first secondary generalized seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rory

New
Reaction score
had my first secondary generalized seizure yesterday, ive never had one before to my knowledge..
i was out gardening in the sun with my dad for a couple of hours and had some bad simple partials in a row, but then had to get ready for a party in a friends so went to shower and shave etc, felt an urge to vomit and the next thing i know i wake up on the bathroom floor with my dad standing over me. dont remember much after for a bit, i was totally out of it, i kept saying i had to fix the shower and asking what happened to me.
so i went to the doc and he thinks it was a collection of things led to it. i hadnt eaten all day cause i was going to a bbq party and was gonna stuff my face there, i was out in the sun for ages, im on antibiotics and steroids for a throat thing and im weaning off keppra onto trileptal. it was all a bit mad. i hit my head off something when i fell so its the day after i feel like ive been beaten and my head is killing me still.
just wanted to share and ask is this normal, ive been told to contact my epilepsy nurse tomorrow and fill her in. im not too put out by the whole situation and i would have thought i would be but it still seems unreal. i dont know really. any words of wisdom???????????????????

The confusion and muscle soreness can hang around for a few days afterwards but it goes eventually. Rest lots and you'll feel better :) good luck :)

Hello Rory,

"some bad simple partials in a row" is this usual for you?

If your blood sugar gets too low it can make you more susceptible to a seizure....defo talk to your epilepsy nurse and there is a lot of information on CWE about stomach (gut) to seizure link that’s well worth reading up on.

You do remember throwing up? Potentially your body warning you of the seizure. My Son says he feels the seizure start in his stomach (brief euphoric feeling that turns nasty fast), his warning (aura) hits so fast more often than not he does not have the time to recognize the warning plus has nocturnal (waking up seizures) with of course no warnings.

Glad though that you are not feeling overly put out, you were at home so in safe zone and when my Son (he is 26) has T/C at home, he has quick recovery, I think due to being in safe zone...outside of house, recovery takes longer for him.

My Son always has a healthy (organic) protein bar on hand and has learnt to not to go long stretches without food...

Sorry to hear of your 1st generalized seizure...I pray it will be the last.

Would this also he considered a tonic clonic? And are you saying you have never had one before?

hi guys, yeah my first tonic clonic, i have been warned about the eating thing, i used to get bad simple partials in quick succession before i was put on meds, since they started changing my meds ive been having breakthough seizures. i dont think i vomited but i cant be sure. the simple partials were quite bad i just thought they were breakthough seizures not an aura. the doc said it will hopefully just be a one off which i am hoping too, a lot of factors converging is a bad thing.
I have been trying to look after myself since my diagnosis but i will just have to step it up a little i think, eating and not getting dehydrated being a big thing.
i had also had some alcohol the night before and Im not really a drinker anymore so i will be more careful with this too.

glad to hear you are aware Rory,

look forward to hearing from you again and hopefully its to tell us its all back under control :) take great care of yourself....and all the best with the med change....

I'm pleased you are okay. Unfortunately we cannot predict these things. I'd be tempted to wash my hair then put on a cycle helmet in the shower - sounds daft but hitting your head could result in a lot worse injuries.
:)

Yea, don't drink - the medication rewires it's network and alcohol plays havoc with this.
:)

I was also getting the type of auras you described - bad and in succession. I hadn't had any like what I used to get for awhile, but I had a few of them last week, and it freaked me out because I also have secondary generalized seizures. I've only had two TC seizures, and they were both before medication, but with the partials I had last week I was a bit concerned that something worse was coming...

I'm glad you are okay though :) Hopefully if yours are like mine, you won't have anymore TC seizures!

Rory, it does sound like a lot of potential stressors were dogging you (antibiotics AND steroids AND drug changes AND heat AND low blood sugar), so you were extra vulnerable to whatever pushed you over the edge. One of things that's hard to remember -- but really important to keep in mind -- is that your seizure threshold is lower now, and things that used to be no problem for your brain (like a drink of alcohol, or missing a meal) might be a problem now.

I really hope it's just a one-off, and that you feel better today.

i feel good today thanks, my epilepsy nurse stressed the not missing meals thing, i know that myself, i just dont think sometimes, and dont notice ive not eaten. I thought i had gotten used to handling epilepsy but it seems i have not, i was thinking today i wish i had never gotten my diagnosis but i doubt that would have been a good thing either. finally finished coming off keppra yesterday so today is a good day all in all...........

Back
Top Bottom