My gut feeling is screaming at me re: my sons newly diagnosed epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

soehls

New
Reaction score
My 11 yo son, who also has Autism, was diagnosed with Epilepsy a few days ago. I have soooo many questions and concerns. Im overwhelmed and a little scared, and a lot worried. Here is what one doc told me about the EEG report...
-He had two seizures during the test...once with the flashing lights and the other happened when they had him breathe fast for a minute or so. The doc said they saw activity in the front, left side of the brain. But my sons pediatrician who we talked to today said his whole brain lit up, not one part. My question is, what type of seizure is it? He didnt feel anything during the seizures with the EEG. Does that mean he could be having a lot more than he isnt aware of?
-We took him in because he has been telling us he has spells where he feels dizzy and it "feels like I am walking in a dream" His legs also get weak and he falls down occasionally. This has been happening for about 2 mo. now and instead of happening 1x a week like before it is 3 x a day on average. When he was 8 yo he had an incident where he was in the yard riding his bike, then came in the house crying and bloddy from scratches on his body and legs. He said he woke up on the ground and he didnt remember anything. He had an EEG a week or so later, they saw nothing. I am 100% convinced it was a seizure. He did not have any vomiting or wet his pants, so the doc said it wasnt a seizure.
Also, off and on he has these times where his upper body, or more often, his arm, jerks up/out. Not a little jerk, a big one. He says he cant stop it, his body/arm just does it. It is not rhythmic though, so the doc feels it is not seizure related. He talks during these episodes and is coherent, though his eyes look spacey, like he isnt all there. These episodes happen maybe 2 times a month.
We had a long talk with out pediatrician, who I dearly love and trust. He tried to reassure me and my husband (my hubby is reassured) He said it is nothing to worry about, they arent bad seizures. He wont have brain damage from them, and it is very, very unlikely he will have a grand-mal seizure. I have 6 kids, I know when to worry and whn not to worry over little things. Everyone seems to tell me its no big deal. Any seizure is NOT normal, :mad:
My gut feeling has never steered me wrong. Every one told me when my 4th child, my now 11 yo son, was younger and I was worried about Autism that he was fine, he was my first boy, they are different etc. I finally ignored them all and had him evaluated by a neurologist who specialized in Autism, and he said he is Autistic. Same thing with my now 6 yo DS, I told my old ped. to shove it when he dismissed my feeling that my DS, who was 1 at the time, was also Autistic. He was officially diagnosed at age 3. So I trust my gut feelings, and I just cant shake the feeling that there is more to this. I dont know what, but I cant just dismiss it.
What can I ask my ped to do as far as more tests? We have an appt with a pediatric neurologist but the first opening is Aug. 27th. That is a whole month away. Do we just have to watch him and hope nothing more develops? What about taking a proactive approach? What are your thoughts? ANY thoughts welcome, even the ones that tell me to stop freaking out and take a deep breath lol :embarrassed:

First off, Welcome to CWE! :)

I know its alot to take in, but try to relax and keep calm. I know my parents went through the same thing when I was a infant and started having seizures. They found out I had epilepsy at the age of 18 months old. One thing I would recommend is to for sure go to the pediatric neurologist. Thats where my parents started at, and we found the best of all pedatric neuros! :) I saw him up to the age of 19 years old! He was a fantastic doctor! It sounds like he is having seizures where he is going unconsious. There are alot of different types of seizures out there, but for me, as I was growing up, I had alot of complex partial seizures, where you are semi consious to fully unconsious, and grand mal seizures, where I cant recall anything, and wake up feeling tired, sore, etc. I am now having simple partial seizures, where Im fully aware of whats going on during the seizure, but just cant stop it. My epilepsy is located in the left temporal lobe area. Ive had alot of MRIs which come back normal, but on my EEGs, they come back with seizure activity showing up. Ive been taking anti seizure medications since being dx'd with epilepsy as a infant.

One thing I would suggest is to try to keep track of all the "seizures" your child is having. By keeping a journal or notebook of the times this happens, it can help the doctors out alot.

Im a mother of three little boys and I can only imagine what you must be going through. If there is any questions you have, we are all here to help! :)

Kristin, thank you so much for your understanding, and for reminding me to keep calm. Hard for us parents to do isn't it? I cannot even imagine how your poor parents felt having a toddler with Epilepsy. But you were so blessed to have found such a wonderful neurologist! I hope we are as fortunate. There are very few neuros in our area, esp. ones who specialize in pediatrics. We have to drive 50 miles one way, but it is worth it for sure. He comes highly recommended by our current ped. and I am very anxious for our first appt. Thanks again for the encouragement (((hugs)))

It is a very scary time at the beginning! and yes ur right sezures arnt normal! are they going to put him on meds? you should keep a diary of how many times he has these.... or complains of any odd feelings! if you are really worried keep going back and dont be afraid to ask the questions you need to!

Hi soehls, welcome to CWE!

It does son like your son is having a variety of partial seizures. They are called partial seizures because they don't spread to the extent that person loses full consciousness. Simple partial seizures http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_partial_seizure can take the form of unusual sensations (like nausea or fear or a phantom smell). Complex partials http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_partial_seizure can include impaired awareness -- you are consciousness but not entirely in control). There are also myoclonic seizures http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus where the body jerks in uncontrollable ways. Despite what the doc says, it doesn't have to be "rhythmic" for it to be a seizure.

It sounds like your neurologist and your pediatrician may be interpreting your son's EEG differently. Regardless, the fact that it showed seizure activity of any kind definitely indicative that something is going on. The fact that his episodes are increasing in frequency means that it's important to get them under control to prevent them from continuing to progress.

It's great that you will be seeing a pediatric neurologist. He should be able to give you answers and recommend treatment. In the meantime there are good tips about being proactive here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/ If you can keep a seizure/symptom diary, you may be able to identify things that trigger your son. Based on the EEG, he may be sensitive to flashing or fluorescent lights, as well as hyperventilation. You may find other triggers as well -- they can be things like food sensitivities (gluten, MSG, aspartame, caffeine), metabolic issues (low blood sugar, nutritional deficiencies, dehydration), as well as emotional or environmental stresses.

You should write down any and all questions to have handy for the neurologist when you see him in August. And write down the answers too. Don't leave his office unless you feel clear on everything, and know how to get in touch with him if more questions arise. And I hope you feel free to keep asking questions here -- CWE members are a great resource in that regard.

Best,
Nakamova

Nakamova, thank you for the links. For some reason I have a real need to know what type of seizures he is having. I guess the more you know the better you feel, at least in my case anyway. Maybe if I understand more i wont worry as much. You wound think with 6 kids I would be used to kids illnesses but it never gets any easier when your child is having problems.
Hand of Blood-thank you for the encouragement to keep going back and asking questions.

I guess the more you know the better you feel

I totally agree with that statement! Even though my meds have my seizures under control, I still have to cope with their side effects as well as the effects of an epileptic brain. I've had epilepsy for so long I never knew what was normal and what wasn't. And not everyone has the same problems.

All the people here at CWE helped me to better understand what was going on with my brain and that some "issues" I have are a direct result of the way my poor brain works. Knowing that, I'm no longer so hard on myself (I used to think I was stupid and just somehow fooling everyone else). Now I am much more open with people about the fact that my epilepsy is the reason that, for instance, I come to a full halt mid-sentence and can't remember what I was talking about. I realize I just need to relax (definitely don't stress about it) and often my brain will find the track it was on.

Do keep searching out the answers. Not only will it help you, the information and understanding will be invaluable to your son.

Enjoy the moment!

At the time I was dx;d with epilepsy, we lived in western nebraska. We ended up going to a childrens hospital in the scottspluff area, and then once we moved east, in central nebraska, we found the pediatric neurologist in Omaha, Ne. Which was 3 hours away. It was worth the drive though. he was a great dr. Then once we moved closer, and moved about an hour from omaha, he then moves to Kansas City Missouri! :lol:I thought it was going to be so nice to live closer and not have such a long drive to see him. But the closer we got, the further away he got. All in all though he was the best doctor ever! I saw he retired a few years after I last saw him. Must have been about 8 years ago now. Im sure you will find a great pediatric neuro! Hang in there!

Kristin, thanks for the encouragement. Seems there are very few ped. neuros in this area, so we feel fortuate to get in so soon. You sure had to chase your doctor around a lot ;)

Back
Top Bottom