Are my hallucinations related to seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alexboone

New
Reaction score
Ever since I was in about 7th grade (I'm in 11th now), I've had these weird hallucinations. They only last about five seconds, and are both audio and visual. It's like a flash/burst of a scene. They're very complex- they involve people, places, things. I don't know any of the people and haven't been to any of the places. After it's over, I usually forget the majority of it within seconds. Like I said, they're very short, and leave me feeling dazed and drained afterwards. They give me headaches everytime, and sometimes make me feel like I'm going to throw up. They happen about every two weeks. On the days that they happen, I have 4-7 hallucinations. After they're over, I usually can't respond very well to people and forget things I'm told for a few minutes. They leave me feeling sick all day. I was wondering if they're somehow related to seizures? When I have a "hallucination" is it really a seizure? Oh, I forgot to mention, sometimes certain things "trigger" these hallucinations. Like, someone will say a certain word and I'll suddenly have a hallucination completely unrelated to the word. Or, I'll walk into a certain place, and then have a hallucination. Sometimes, though, they just randomly happen. What do you think could be wrong? Thanks for the help.

Have you seen a dr to see if you might have epilepsy?

Sometimes before a seizure I'll feel wierd. The room might not look right or I don't seem like I'm in the right place and I have a hard time concentrating on something.

If I don't black out during a seizure I'll be very confused about what's going on. I can't talk right and don't understand what's going on around me. I was on the phone with my grandma once druing a seizure. She kept telling me to get my husband and put him on the phone because I was having a seizure but it just didn't register. My grandpap came running in (they live next door) and got my husband to tell him I was having a seizure. They got me to sit down until I came out of it.

For a while after the seizure I'm still confused about what's going on and don't react to things. I usually won't remember anything that happened too.

Well, my personal thought is that they could be. By the way you describe it, it sounds like a simple-partial seizure which affects the visual/auditory sections of your brain.

The difference between a seizure hallucination, and a schizophrenic hallucination is that the seizure can leave the person exhausted or in some other way affected.

A schizophrenic hallucination just happens, because the brain is wired for it to happen, whereas the seizure is the exact opposite. There are no pathways hard-wired to cause a hallucination so it tends to be random.

A schizophrenic who hallucinates a person/animal will often name them because the hallucination is the same each time, whereas with a seizure it's randomly generated depending on what parts are affected...

Though it's impossible to know exactly what is happening without proper testing. :)

I could be seizures sounds like partials to me. I have audio and visiaul sometimes. I hear voices and see things sometime hours before I have a TC. It also could be the medication. I would tell your Dr. so they can look into it.

Before I was on medicine I was getting those almost exactly as you describe... I still get partials, but not the WHOLE thing like what you are getting (I'd get the image/sound almost like I was in a dream, then nausea/funny feeling in my stomach/unable to respond well/etc.). I didn't know I had epilepsy at the time, though I suspected something was not right because I DID have a tonic-clonic seizure once before I started getting those hallucination experiences. Eventually I had another tonic-clonic seizure after this going on for awhile. You should get it checked out because epilepsy is progressive if not treated. As in, it will probably get worse without any type of medication/intervention of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom