My mother is scaring me!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
We went over to my parents house with the kids for dinner tonight. After we were done eating, my mom and I were talking about calling the nurse tomorrow to inform them on the time I was taken off my meds, and went for the 11 days without a seizure. At the time, i wasnt on Keppra, but she tells me its best if they do know I went that long without having a seizure for when I get my VEEG done.

I told her I would call the nurse tomorrow to tell her and also ask them if they have my records from my pediatrition neuro. I know we had all of my records from them forwarded to the first dr I saw, which he resigned, and I am now seeing his partner. So I would think they would just hand my file over to him? But I want to make sure just incase they dont have them.

Im telling my mom I will do all of this and she explains to me that if they do take me off my medication for the VEEG, she said she's afraid I will have seizures that wont stop! Thats the last thing I want to hear out of my mother's mouth!

I want to get the VEEG done, but I dont want to picture myself having seizures non stop! Ive never had a VEEG done before, and I dont know if they would want me to come in on all my medications, or wean me off before I come in. But she doesnt have to scare the crap out of me!

Now all I can picture in my mind is me having seizures non stop!

First, relax. They will bring you in on full meds and try to capture a seizure with you meds. Then slowly wean you. If you have a seizure they will help it stop and then more than likely put you back up to dose and send you home after the first one.

I know I need to relax. Ive tried not to think about it that much with the busy days Ive had around here. I wish the nurse or dr would have given me more details as to what I should epect. All they said was that I would be there for a week, and the nurse said I could bring my lap top, and if I wanted, I could have someone stay with me. If I didnt have anyone to stay, they have their nurses there. Ive heard all sorts of stories of people having them done. Some say they are there for a short period of time after getting a seizure or two, others say they have a few seizures, but their drs still keep them for the length of time they said they would. The thought of being in a bed for a week sounds depressing. I cant see myself having a seizure if Im up and doing something. Oh well. I guess we'll see how things go when it all takes place. I just need to tell my mom to stop talking about it and let it go. Maybe I will hear more within two weeks before I go in. the nurse said their office or the insurance company will be contacting me after they recieve authorization and pre certification papers.

Okay. Deeeep breath...

They won't let you have seizures non-stop. They'd medicate you way before it got to even near that point.

Gr33nrose had her meds withdrawn in advance, and so did I, but that's not always the way it happens. Just as often they withdraw the meds in the hospital.

Nurses will always be very nearby. No worries. You need any little thing and they are there pronto. Also, there is a computer that analyzes your brainwaves. Every time the computer thinks you are having a seizure the nurse runs in and asks if you are okay. It's hardly ever a seizure, and after awhile I wished they'd just quit that!

About being in bed for a long period. That was hard for me. If I had it to do over again I'd get some of those exercise bands and a book on isometrics and exercise in bed. Because they won't let you out of bed to do it.

Yep. My mom drives me nuts, too. Maybe they are secretly sisters?

Hang in there. It's gonna be okay. And before you know it it'll be done.

Okay. Deeeep breath...

They won't let you have seizures non-stop. They'd medicate you way before it got to even near that point.

Gr33nrose had her meds withdrawn in advance, and so did I, but that's not always the way it happens. Just as often they withdraw the meds in the hospital.

Nurses will always be very nearby. No worries. You need any little thing and they are there pronto. Also, there is a computer that analyzes your brainwaves. Every time the computer thinks you are having a seizure the nurse runs in and asks if you are okay. It's hardly ever a seizure, and after awhile I wished they'd just quit that!

About being in bed for a long period. That was hard for me. If I had it to do over again I'd get some of those exercise bands and a book on isometrics and exercise in bed. Because they won't let you out of bed to do it.

Yep. My mom drives me nuts, too. Maybe they are secretly sisters?

Hang in there. It's gonna be okay. And before you know it it'll be done.

Thanks! When it comes to moms, I think they are all secretly sisters! :roflmao: I know my mom means well, and she's trying to prepare me, but she doesnt do it in a good way!

I'd like to hear more positive things, rather than negative. My goal for the next month is just try to relax and whatever comes, will be. I told my mom if she would like to be there, thats up to her. Im not going to push her to do anything she doesnt want to do. She has seen me have all my seizures. My husband, well.... he hasnt seen me have one yet. Whenever I have had one, he's not around to see it. Last time I had one, he was at work and I was home with the kids. It took me awhile to realize what had happened, and since his work has very tight security, and at times I can hardly reach him, I call my mom. She tells me over and over again, she would rather be called since she can just come on over anytime, rather than call my husband at work and get him in a panic. With his job, he cant leave til they get a replacement, which god only knows how long that would take.

She told me tonight before leaving that if they do decided to wean me off my meds before i go in, i cant go no where! :roflmao: I told her that I wont be driving, thats for sure. But she makes it sound like I cant even step foot outside!

Oh, lord. That's the reality show from hell. "Locked Up With My Mother."

:roflmao:

Not to disparage mothers. Without them, none of us would be here. And they do a lot for us. But really, do they have to drive us all nuts?

Oh, lord. That's the reality show from hell. "Locked Up With My Mother."

Not to disparage mothers. Without them, none of us would be here. And they do a lot for us. But really, do they have to drive us all nuts?

I know what youre saying! I love my mother with everything inside of me! She has been here for me through out my whole life, having to deal with Epilepsy and the whole roller coaster of it all. Im so thankful to have her here during all of this, and the rest of my life.

There's just something she likes to set straight on the table and not "sugar coat it". Me being a mother myself, I dont know if I could actually come out and tell my child that kind of stuff. I would be more apt to say something like, "Oh things will be ok.... We'll just check it out with the Dr and go from there".

I think driving us nuts is part of what a mother is suppose to do! :roflmao:

When they do video eeg's they are normally watching very closely just in case something like that happens. The last time I had a video eeg when I had a bad seizure they were in there ASAP and gave me ativan to put me out, stopped the seizure immediately. It was a funny site when they let me see the video, I told the nurse I loved her after they gave me the ativan, then I passed right out. It was a little rough to see exactly how my seizures looked, but now I know how I act during my seizures. There isn't really anything to worry about, other than being stuck in a room. Was real rough since I am a smoker.

When they do video eeg's they are normally watching very closely just in case something like that happens. The last time I had a video eeg when I had a bad seizure they were in there ASAP and gave me ativan to put me out, stopped the seizure immediately. It was a funny site when they let me see the video, I told the nurse I loved her after they gave me the ativan, then I passed right out. It was a little rough to see exactly how my seizures looked, but now I know how I act during my seizures. There isn't really anything to worry about, other than being stuck in a room. Was real rough since I am a smoker.

There is apart of me that would like to see how I am during a seizure. My husband and I were talking about that earlier tonight. I recall sometimes right before I have a seizure what I feel like, but other than that, I have no clue what I do... Besides what others have told me what I do. It would be kind of neat, and I guess freaky in ways to see myself on a video having a seizure.

At first, to me, it was a little upsetting, but it was easy to get over. I guess it is just a little shocking to see it at first.

OK...with all this talk about video EEGs it gets me wondering...

my son had a 48 hour one, at home, a few weeks back. Near the end, just about the time my son was to finish up, my brother and his wife came over and had a big argument. My son was on the screen, but their voices were in the background. Does the video EEG also record sound??? (Embarrassed for them if it does:paperbag:!!!)

I have no idea! But that would def be embarrassing if it was recorded!

UGH!
My hubby was home when they came by, they started their "scene" a few minutes before I returned home from the grocery store...I realized that my son was still recording and thought enough to disconnect the video portion...

I did not tell them that they might be on the video. I figured it would create more stress.

Back
Top Bottom