Is it my only trigger?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

corsch

New
Reaction score
In my introduction thread (Foyer) Rae thinks I have myoclonic seizures thats what I'm suffering to when i say "episode". Anyway, to my question...

I've been doing some lurking around the forums and I came across a post and the user said one of their triggers is low blood sugar. So I started thinking "When do most of my episodes happen?" and I concluded that they are usually happening when I'm extremely hungry or tired most of the time I'm both. Could I only actually have 2 triggers? I've played games sense my first bad seizure and haven't been effected. then again, it wasn't the same game (Forza 3) that I played as I refuse to play that game

If I remember correctly. The other day when I had an episode in my both my math and biology class. I only had some chicken at lunch (1150) and thats after bio, I also didn't have anything to eat for breakfast other than a water or something the episode in my math class happened at around 230.

You can have 1, 2, 3 or more triggers that are responsible for all your seizures. You can have a baseline amount of seizures that happen no matter what you do, and then have more seizures on top of that caused by your triggers.

Everybody is an individual. By keeping a seizure journal you'll get to know what triggers you have, and what's just normal random variation. Then you can control the things you can, and have your doc adjust meds to handle the rest.

I'm trying to figure out seizure triggers and patterns, too. I started using seizure tracker and found out my peaks are at 2-7 in the afternoon, and 2-7 in the middle of the night. (Nocturnal seizures - ugh!) The middle of the night ones don't follow the typical pattern for mesial temporal lobe epilepsy, so I'm wondering what's up? Maybe those are the hours when the blood levels of my meds are the lowest??? That would definitely be a trigger. It's not blood sugar for me because I make sure I eat healthy snacks so that stays pretty constant. Hmmmm....

You can have 1, 2, 3 or more triggers that are responsible for all your seizures. You can have a baseline amount of seizures that happen no matter what you do, and then have more seizures on top of that caused by your triggers.

Everybody is an individual. By keeping a seizure journal you'll get to know what triggers you have, and what's just normal random variation. Then you can control the things you can, and have your doc adjust meds to handle the rest.

I'm trying to figure out seizure triggers and patterns, too. I started using seizure tracker and found out my peaks are at 2-7 in the afternoon, and 2-7 in the middle of the night. (Nocturnal seizures - ugh!) The middle of the night ones don't follow the typical pattern for mesial temporal lobe epilepsy, so I'm wondering what's up? Maybe those are the hours when the blood levels of my meds are the lowest??? That would definitely be a trigger. It's not blood sugar for me because I make sure I eat healthy snacks so that stays pretty constant. Hmmmm....
I don't want to put the carriage before the horse but I think that those are my triggers. I usually eat all three meals with healthy snacks in-between. Mine usually happen when I skip a meal or don't have a full meal and usually only happen if I'm trying to multi task or something that requires more attention to detail. I'll keep using seizure tracker to see if I have other triggers. I'm just new to this whole thing :paperbag:. Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty new to it, too. Still trying to figure out a lot of stuff.

Reading posts by people whose diagnosis was 20 years ago, most of them continue to have to redefine triggers, seizures, meds, as their seizures and their bodies change. I think we are starting a process that is life-long. :)

Reading posts by people whose diagnosis was 20 years ago, most of them continue to have to redefine triggers, seizures, meds, as their seizures and their bodies change. I think we are starting a process that is life-long. :)

I suppose. It'll be interesting. I hope I can get in to see a neurologist (if my parents let me) and see whats goin' on up there, Just to get some clarification of sorts.

Yet many of those people have been on meds for that amount of time too, and meds can actually cause seizures, and change brain function. Each med that my daughter was on had its own seizure side effects. Since she has been med free, watching her nutritional intake, balancing it over the course of the day, she has never had those same unusual seizures.

It is an endless question, IMO

I am one of those that was diagnosed more than 20 years ago, and yes as time goes on and circumstances change, it has been a life long process for me.

Originally Posted by RobinN
Yet many of those people have been on meds for that amount of time too, and meds can actually cause seizures, and change brain function. Each med that my daughter was on had its own seizure side effects. Since she has been med free, watching her nutritional intake, balancing it over the course of the day, she has never had those same unusual seizures.

It is an endless question, IMO

Brain function changes over time regardless if one takes medication or not, due to life circumstances, illness, growing, hormones, etc. I don't have the same type of seizures as I was having when I was in my 20's, now that I am older, due to hormonal changes. And depending on the type of seizures one has, being med-free could cause serious injury from the seizure.

Back
Top Bottom