My Personal N=1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

When the air and water are about the same temp which is also about the same temp as the surface of your skin and you are floating drifting along it's like you can't really tell where the water stops and the air starts. Or where you start and the outside world stops. Kind of like crawling back into a giant amniotic sac.

My Hawaiian healer is the most gentle sweet human being I have ever met. He spent childhood here on Molokai but then spent most of his life elsewhere, Honolullu and the mainland. He was in the military and has been to university (the only way to pay for college for a lot of young Hawaiians is to join the navy unfortunately).

I'm just saying this because I want you to know that he is not some shaman in a hut with chicken bones around his neck. He has a computer and a cell phone. He shares a house with a cousin who is widowed at the age of 70 (my healer is 60), so the two old bachelors are helping each other out.

Also my healer is not totally closed to the ideas of western medicine. He recently(less than a year ago) had open heart surgery to repair a congenital deformity in one of his heart valves. He understands that no amount of coconut oil and turmeric is going to fix something like that.

Now that he is recuperating and getting back to healthy again, he is transitioning off of the cumadin (a.k.a. rat poison) that the VA had him on for a blood thinner. He is now on a combination of krill oil and turmeric.
(Side note. VA health care, at least out here in the Pacific is piss poor. That is not the way we should be treating people who put their lives on the line for their country.)

So, since he moved back here to Molokai, he has established a practice as the local "medicine man". The native born Hawaiians listen to his advice more than white coated MDs even though they are often both telling people the same things like cut back on the sugar, get some more exercise, lose the booze, etc.

His way of looking at the body is very holistic and functional. Everything is connected. When patterns of tension or old injuries get established, they create blockages where the energy doesn't flow right.
One doesn't have to believe in the woo-sci of "seeing auras" and such to understand that there is a physiological basis for this "flow" model. Blood flows, lymphatic fluid flows, nerve impulses flow.

He generally starts at the top of the body with the patient sitting down on a padded bench. He works on "opening up" the top of the head and then works on the arms. Any work he does later in the central part of the body will release tensions and such that will need a way to get out. Getting the head and arms ready for this provides an unblocked exit.

He has got the most amazing combination of strong yet gentle hands. He works over all my cranial sutures and it feels like my brain suddenly has more room to breathe. He says I tend to carry my tensions in my neck and shoulders so he gives these a thorough going over too.

Then he transfers me to a massage table lying face up. Most "Swedish" style massage is done with the person face down but this is different.
First he works on the legs, making sure they are aligned with one another and that my pelvis is lined up right too.

So there are elements of what we would think of as massage but also what we would call chiropractic care as well, just not the heavy bone crunching kind.

When the legs are all straightened out he moves on to the torso which for me is a massive tangle of scar tissue. Gently but persistently he is breaking down those blockages and restoring normal blood flow, nerve impulses, etc. Areas of my body that have been dead to me for 8 years are coming back to life.

He does work on the spine but he does it by moving organs aside and manipulating things from the front. He works his way all along the vagus nerve from the head down. I wonder if some of why a VNS works could be replicated with this kind of work instead of wires and magnets and invasive surgery that doesn't always work.

There are a lot of people here on Molokai who are hurting financially particularly the native born folks. Well off mainlanders like me help to pay the cost since he never turns down a patient in need even if they can't pay. A lot of the local folk pay him in barter like bringing produce from their gardens or some fish they caught or venison they hunted. Or an older patient will send a grandson over to do a day of yard work or fix his roof or whatever needs doing.

One of the things that I think is really cool about this community is that the MDs with white coats are not closed off to traditional healing. They know that the two can work together. They let my healer come in to a patient's room after surgery and find that his treatments allow the patient to go home much sooner with much less heavy meds.

One of the often repeated objections to "alternative " practitioners is that they are dangerous because they get people to "fire their doctors". Nothing could be further from the truth in this case. He gets people to listen to their doctors. Diabetes is a huge problem here. Standing there with his long hair in a knot at the back of his head and telling the kupuna (elders) that they need to get back to the way their grandparents ate (cut out the Spam and sodas) it gets through better than it would from a haole doctor.

And before anybody's imaginations get out of control. When he is working on me, I am wearing a one piece bathing suit and his cousin is wandering by now and then and saying hello (also a really sweet guy).

If I didn't rein in my own imagination, it would be very easy to develop a crush on him. This is what psychiatrists call transference. I recognize it intellectually even as I'm feeling it. But I think I need a healer more than I need a boyfriend.

Besides he has a long term girlfriend but they are doing the long distance thing because she got offered her dream job in Florida. It was supposed to be temporary but is becoming more permanent all the time. I try to stay out of his personal life (this is what I've heard from a few of his cousins) but it seems like he is in one of those situations where everyone knows the relationship is over except him.

So we shall see what happens there.

Thanks, AlohaBird. Sounds like an old fashioned odyssey -- exotic and cosy and possible romance ...sounds so nice on so many levels. You just be ready for Mondays every week!

Hehheehh. Yes.

My favorite day of the week. I also sleep really well on Monday nights.

Just by the way -- when I log onto the forum and look for AlohaBird, I always look for you in the lower right hand corner of the screen.It is as if I really expect you to pop out of the screen. Who knows what to make of it, but it is so strange and it happens over and over. Possibly it is a side effect hohoho!

Ah, Bidwell. One of these days you are going to have to come out to my little island paradise and see it for yourself. I will get you an appointment with my healer and then we can go soak our old bones in the warm sea.

This idea simply cracks me up!!!!!But it DOES sound nice. I am sitting here laughing away!

:)
you go girls.....
its called nurturing one self..

We all need it sometimes to recharge and clean those cobwebs of our body and mind.

If my dog can sense seizures, perhaps it is possible that some extremely sensitive and well trained individuals can sense "energy flow" in another person.

Before I knew I had MMD2, and before my seizures were really bad, I met an "intuitive" healer, who was into all kinds of alternative therapies. She said to me that my electrical field was all messed up. I had just finished my daily walk of about 1.5 to 2 miles, and was having slight seizures when I was talking to her. I had never met anyone like her.

In the months following my diagnosis, I could sense some people's electrical field, which sometimes actually gave me seizures. I was most sensitive when I was very weak, which continues to be true to the present day. What was particularly interesting to me was that I was most sensitive to blood relatives. I suspected this had something to do with similar body chemistry. It gave new meaning to the phrase "opposites attract." That senstivity has for the most part subsided.

A person's personal space is actually an electrical field emitted by an individual. The healthier the individual, the greater and stronger the electrical field. A normal persons field is about 60 hertz. The chronically ill person's field can be as low as 30 hertz. I suppose my field is near 30.

I noticed an earlier response in this thread to various aisles in supermarkets that caused people problems. I need to avoid the coffee aisles, as well as perfume aisles, as both have given me seizures. One of my neighbors has scented candles burning regularly, and it gave me problems.

AlohaBird, I do believe in alternative therapies, not just dietary ones. One of my customers strongly advocated acupuncture, and used it herself. I do believe it helps "Chi" or energy flow, which is probably what you felt had been "trapped." I think that manipulation or stimulation at specific points on the body can release energy, which I think in reality is the blood flow. Chiropractic manipulation and physical therapy are subsequently effective in restoring proper blood flow. The life is in the blood.

In the olden days, epilepsy was treated by drilling a hole in someone's skull, and mental illness (which I prefer to call neurotransmission imbalances) was treated with shock therapy. Shock therapy has made something of a comeback as it is better understood these days. I suppose they are using considerably smaller voltages.

When I have blood drawn, I will have a seizure, as the release of blood changes my body chemistry enough to provoke one. This has happened the last four years. I alert the lab personnel that this happens, and recommend that someone hold my arm until the needle is extracted. It is difficult for the lab people to watch, but I always tell them what to expect and that everything will be alright.

There are neurojunctions along the axons in the body and the electrical signals can jump one faulty neurojunction, but not many. There are nodes in the body along the axons known as nodes of Ranvier where there is a gap in the myeling sheath. These gaps in the myelin sheath expose the nerves to the external environment. It is my guess that acupuncture works in particular upon these nodes to restore electrical impulses along the axons.

Michael: Have you ever investigated an Ozone Box? And your last paragraph about the myelin sheath and the gaps that expose the nerves to the external environment -- I bet you are right about that being the way acupuncture works -- and it is mapped out. But why do you think that you could sense people's electric fields there for a while and now cannot or do not?

Hi Michael,
I was just talking about your case with my healer yesterday. Seriously. He finds it very interesting. If you ever get out to Hawaii, he would love to meet you.

Acupuncture does work but, IMO, not for the reasons advertised. Sticking needles in a person causes a release of endorphins similar to what avid marathoners call "runner's high". Any stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system does this.

But there have been double blind placebo controlled studies where people were given real acupuncture by a trained practitioner and the control group was told this was a trained practitioner who looked and sounded learned but actually was putting the needles in totally randomly. Same results. So sticking needles in works but it doesn't matter where.

I think "Chi" is as good a word as any to describe life as it flows. I think the physical manipulations of my muscles and connective tissues that my healer does restores the flow of chi.

The way he puts it is, "I'm not 'healing' anything. I'm just allowing you to get out of your own way long enough so that you can heal yourself".

Bidwell,

No, I have not heard of an ozone box. I do drink ozonated water though.

My ability to detect people's electrical fields was due primarily to the weakness of my own electrical field, as well as the hyperexcitability of my own field, due to there being incessant electrical activity in my muscles. The genetic part of the code that tells my muscles to relax is elongated, so my muscles never fully relax. I am still trying to get a better understanding of it all. People's electrical fields were simulating the electrical signals that normally come from my brain.

Michael -- You keep putting it in the past tense. Do you mean that in times past you could detect people's electrical fields because of the weakness of your own but now you are stronger and you can no longer detect other people's electrical fields?
Your description of not being able to fully relax without a touch and go struggle sticks with me. In trying to grasp what you mean I keep referring back to that. I wish you could meet AlohaBird's healer, too.

AlohaBird,

I am inclined to think that both of us are right. Endorphins provoke chemical changes. Chemical changes involve electrical changes. An ion in movement produces a current.

AlohaBird,

I am inclined to think that both of us are right. Endorphins provoke chemical changes. Chemical changes involve electrical changes. An ion in movement produces a current.
Quite possibly true. That's an interesting way to look at it. I'll ask my healer if that makes sense to him.

Michael -- You keep putting it in the past tense. Do you mean that in times past you could detect people's electrical fields because of the weakness of your own but now you are stronger and you can no longer detect other people's electrical fields?

Yes, that is what I think. I have focused dietarily upon cations, positively charged ions, because these cations are used endlessly by my muscles in producing movement. There is a difference in the polarity of extracellular fluid, and intracellular fluid. Movement is produced by exceeding the resting threshold, at which point the ion channels open, changing the intracellular polarity during the duration of the movement. The intracelluar fluid depolarizes, as a result of the influx of the extracellular fluid. It repolarizes once the movement of the muscles ends, or at least it should, in a normal muscle cell.

According to modern medicine, MMD2 is perpetually progressive, and can't be cured.

Contrary to modern medicine, I am stronger physically today than I was a year ago in some ways. There are still far too many unanswered questions, though.

The curious thing about my maladies is that I have experienced the theoretical in reality.

The rising and setting of the sun is not a double blind placebo controlled reality. It cannot be recreated in a laboratory. We have learned about the sun by studying it and understanding it. The mechanisms at work in life are so much more complex that I ever imagined. Just because we don't understand how something works does not mean it does not work. It simply means we don't understand how it works.

The way he puts it is, "I'm not 'healing' anything. I'm just allowing you to get out of your own way long enough so that you can heal yourself".

I have heard that before; I think it is true. It also represents an attitude where the healer is a partner, which is the way it should be. That in and of itself can facilitate healing.

Indeed. The human body has amazing powers to heal itself even when all the doctors say it is impossible/

I cured my father's diabetes just by diet and exercise when he had been told it would be a lifelong progressive condition in which the best that could be hoped for was "managing the symptoms".

The docs just stood there with their gums flapping.

Carving up Bambi is Hard Work!

A friend of mine bagged a deer and I have spent all afternoon getting it sliced up for freezing. I'm not even halfway done and I had to sit down and take a break.

I don't think people realize how much of their work is done for them in the modern age when a pre-sliced steak comes wrapped on a styrofoam tray.

And don't worry, I don't really eat baby deer. The kind we have here in the islands just look like Bambi because they keep their spots for their whole life. It's a species called Axis Deer.
They are massively overpopulated because this ecosystem has no apex predators to keep them in check other than humans. You don't need a hunting license or a "tag" or anything. It's considered a public service if you go out and shoot one.

Very tasty meat. Very lean and dark red almost purple. I have never researched it but I would venture to guess that they are very high in iron given the color. Probably the B vitamins too.

Back to work!

Back
Top Bottom