my son Deja vu

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angel

New
Reaction score
This morning my 13 year old and I were waiting for the buss.. when my 12 year old left the car my son brandon says mom I been having Deja Vu a lot....

he told me when he went to a visit to a horse ranch with the school he had it almost all day:(

i asked him about how many times does he think he had it that day... he said 5 or 6 times and has been having it off and on ever since..... Ive noticed him blinking some times like over blinking for a few minutes.. ive never really said anything about it.... I called the school this morning and asked if they could kinda keep an eye on him for me.... funny i had to go into detail about deja vu and sps... then cps ...... I'm trying hard not to over react...... I just need to keep a watch on him from now on... see what happens..... IM DEPRESSED AND STRESSED I DONT WANT my children not one of them to have to go through this... I hope e isn't what is happening with my son:(

maybe its just hormones.....

also my son who is 17 has been telling me about somethings hes having:(

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks !

I'll be saying a prayer for you and your boys tonight Angel. I hope it's not what we're thinking

How distressing Angel.
Don't get yourself too discouraged just yet. It might be hormonal.
I remember having more of that type of episode at that age. Can't say I have since.
Hope you all get a break soon.

TeeTee's and Robin , thank you for prayers I prayed about it today also:)

Ive been talking to the school teachers they say they havent noticed anything.... which is good..( they had a lot of questions though ... they dont seem to understand... partial seizures... they seem to know about gm's though)

I talked to my husband about what brandon had said....he then told me about two days ago brandon while in the car driving to the store brandon said dad i think im having deja vu and that brandon looked kinda weird....

Ive had a chance to calm down ..... got a bad headache took a nap... had a conference with teacher's

Ive TOLD MY HUSBAND!! CRACKING THE WHIP!!! nicely of course that we are going to be changing our diets period!!! back to they way we use to eat except for the wheat and dairy and no sugar...... its going to be an adjustment for hubby im sure he has problems with his liver.... and stomach so it will help him also..... brandon has been drinking caffeine which i dont like at all, he sneaks it....

Brandon and steven both were lactose intolerant as babies....

I pray for all the people on this forum and everyone children and adults a like parents having to watch their children suffer that we can all find some answers (((((HEALING))))...

ill have to talk to brandon more about it when he gets home.... I sure hope its just hormonal..... can we start a list of foods so we can have some ideas like rice flower goats milk ummm a list of no no's and okay's.... no corn no soy what about nut's? oatmeal? cereal choices? stuff like that? maybe veggies to stay away from in more detail... because i really have some idea but not enough info on the diets.... even though ive read through them food dyes a big no no..... sugar what about Stevia ? some kinda discussion on ideas for feeding our kids nutritious non allergic foods...

if we could start a list of good foods it would be helpful to a lot of us who have e so we could adjust our foods to individual diets weather it be veggie or what ever... kids like sweet stuff so thats a hard one too.....

angel

Last edited:
This has been written on many of the sites Angel.
You might start with: http://www.dogtorj.com/
Check out the: Foods to Enjoy, Foods to Avoid section on Dogtor J's site.

http://pecanbread.com/index2.html
http://breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
http://www.celiac.com/
http://gfkitchen.server101.com/
http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs06.htm
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/10/peach-coffee-cake.html

You can do searches based on gluten free or any combination of words that you can think of. There are many blogs out now and even restaurants that are carrying gluten free menus. PF Changs is one of them. There are great books on the subject, already written, you just need to make the commitment. I know this is the hardest part, at least it was for me, but looking at what we could eat vs. what we couldn't eat really helped.

Angel?

Are your boys in school right? If they are, it
could have been the chemicals they used at
nights when cleaning the schools. Or even
worse, when all the dust settles. (I'm allergic
to dust, that's why I have to dust a lot, other-
wise ... I'll be sneezing my head off (pardon the
pun) and same with my son too and it also causes
us to blink our eyes far more than usual making it
hard to tell if it's Absence or if it's an allergic
reaction...

Wait a couple of days, if it goes away, it was
probably from the school.

There's another way of knowing the difference
especially with the upcoming Holidays when they
are at home and not in school, and seeing if
there's a difference.

=============================

HERE'S SOME GOOD AND
NOT SO GOOD TIDBITS:

Carpets are now made of tons of man-made
materials these days; and if you ever decide
to carpet your home - you CAN request the
place you order the carpet from to AIR THE
CARPET OUT! (We did - 1 week - back room
having them Airing it out, otherwise, it would
trip migraines / seizures on both Steve and I,
before they came to deliver it and we installed
it - made a big difference!)

Today's Commercial Buildings (INCLUDING the
Schools) carpeting are GLUED on. Many times
they're done as the last thing before they open!
This can be a major problem for those with health
issues from Asthma to Epilepsy to all kinds of
allergies. You almost want to go in with a Charcoal
Filtered Gas Mask! (not a joke folks!) Because they
do NOT open doors to air it out and it stays closed
it takes MONTHS for the fumes and smell to go
away... how lovely - NOT!

People can have deja vu for many reasons, not just with seizures. A lot of gifted people have them, so maybe your son is a sensitive soul. Keep an eye on it for sure, but don't be overly worried either. Are you feeling any better yet?

That is good to know Zoe, being that I am a sensitive type. I use to enjoy the feeling. Better yet I looked forward to them happening.

That is good to know Zoe, being that I am a sensitive type. I use to enjoy the feeling. Better yet I looked forward to them happening.

Right on Robin, me too! When I first saw your picture, I thought I'd seen you before, looked so familiar... :)

Robin, Thank you for the links they are awesome im going to be spending most my day trying to put together a list of foods we all can eat... when I can get to town ill stop by Barnes & Noble book store and see if i can find any recipe books.. actually I'm pretty sure i can order one online and go pick it up at the store" thanks for giving me some ideas its really been helpful:)

Brain,

you could be right as they were at a horse ranch and its dusty maybe he didn't eat enough that day also the schools here have closed once to my knowledge because septic leak caused bacteria in the schools drinking water ... Soo who knows....one of my friends cleans the schools she said they do use some pretty strong chemicals..... my youngest has childhood asthma so i try my best to keep the house dust free and pet hair free....brandons eyes, Im not sure nerves maybe causing blinking it last about one or two min's then it goes away... hes been having it off and on for a while... I just need to keep watching him..... Im thinking because of what brandon and I talked about its from those stupid energy drinks apparently hes been drinking quite a few at school....

Zoe,

my doctor told me the same thing that many people have deja vu every once in a while but not everyday for long periods of time.... I talked to brandon after school... he said that hes been drinking the energy drinks a lot... well, I think (hoping, id rather it be from energy drinks than e... sounds bad I know but thats how i feel) thinking, caffeine withdrawals ....he says he's been having headaches ... Ive noticed he's been moody ..... I told him about how i feel when i have deja vu and he says his isn't like mine.... I had him take a multi vit and told him to start drinking more water if i find out hes been drinking anymore caffeine drinks hes going to lose his pc for a few...

yesterday when he first told me i over reacted i guess, shock, worry, anger then headache went to bed...

I think hes ok im just going to have to keep an eye on him.... I really think its a good idea to change our diets too just to be on the safe side..... after we stopped eating organic ive noticed the kids are more hyper and it just not been the same around here it's expensive but its worth it in the long run...

Im feeling better, i still have something like bladder spasms and sometimes cramping like ache back (kidneys) its not as bad as it was though....still taking 100mg macrodantin 4 times a day i think i have 4 or 5 days to finish it then ill be taking the macrobid until they can take a look at my bladder and stuff.... I keep waking up at 3:00am though and fall asleep at 7:30pm sometimes 8 pm i need to try and fix my sleep schedule..

thank you guys for sharing your feeling on the matter with me it helps a lot to have people to talk to who understand...

angel

i just found this link and thought it might be intresting to parents who are trying to keep their teens ,kids away from this stuff

http://www.theacorn.com/news/2007/1115/Front_Page/003.html

That energy drink your teen is so fond of may contain a potent mix of alcohol and caffeine. Using names such as Tilt, Rockstar 21, Liquid Core, Sparks and Joose, the colorful cans sold in grocery, convenience and liquor stores are marketed to children and young adults.

Although it is illegal for minors to purchase the drinks, cashiers are sometimes confused because the alcoholic and nonalcoholic packaging is so similar and the labels are hard to read, according to Chris Albrecht, district administrator for the California Alcohol Beverage Control office in Ventura County. It is a growing problem and a law enforcement challenge, said Albrecht, who does not consider any drink containing alcohol to be an "energy drink."

BOOZE OR NO BOOZE?--The popular energy drinks appear similar in packaging, but the Rockstar 21, Sparks and Tilt brands each contain alcohol. Read all labels carefully, officials warn

Last edited:
look if its any help i doubt those deja vus would happen in isolation i am almost sure that other symptoms would have raised their heads before they happened for instance fainting or a dreaded sense of 'knowing' perhaps his eyes would roll and he would look terrified. please consult an expert who can put your mind at rest before terrifing(SP?) yourself sometimes you know its something very simple but as a parent myself I understand your fears. But I repeat I am convinced those symptoms would not appear in isolation from other symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom