My turn for a groan......and a question :

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
I've gone 3 weeks and 1 day seizure free (hoorah), which so far this year is the longest.

Well, last night in bed I had that "feeling" in my head that something was gonna happen, but nope - nadda (hoorah)

Again, sat at this computer at 4 today (strange time for someone who have's night-time seizures) I had another "feeling", this time off which I felt my heart rate speed up slightly, but was still in complete control of what I was doing.

Now the question is......would you consider the above to be seizures, and would you report them ? (I'm kinda hoping you're gonna say no so that I can continue going for my record "non-seizure activity period" :D )

....and you know what else ? I blame this site for helping me remain seizure-free for such a good period. I'm sure it has something to do with having such fun people (and understanding off course) who share the same 'problem'. I love you all :hi5:

Top marks to c-w-e :rock:

Most people would classify those feelings/premonitions/etc. as an aura. Depending upon what is really happening when you notice it, it may be a form of a mild seizure.

Whether it is a seizure or not, though, you should tell your neuro about them and anything else that you consider related to your seizure activity or control. If s/he doesn't know what's happening with you, s/he is pretty much handicapped trying to help you.

Time to start a Seizure Diary if you haven't already. Write these 'episodes' in your diary and share them with you're Neuro every time you have an appointment. This could make a difference in the way you are treated as far as meds go or other treatment options by your Dr.

I agree - you need to keep a Seizure/Aura
diary, journal, log.

I do - on my computer. In fact, they NOW
have new 2008 calenders that comes with
CD's (no spyware) from BORDERS (a bookstore)
and you can document appointments, log in
info in there, etc, right smack on your computer,
and print it out later!

Most people would classify those feelings/premonitions/etc. as an aura. Depending upon what is really happening when you notice it, it may be a form of a mild seizure.

Whether it is a seizure or not, though, you should tell your neuro about them and anything else that you consider related to your seizure activity or control. If s/he doesn't know what's happening with you, s/he is pretty much handicapped trying to help you.

Bummer !....I thought you were gonna say that. Oh well, Today's a new day....

....<note to self : day one again!>

I personally wouldn't mark that as a seizure on Rebecca's calendar. However, her seizures have been of a typical variety, with a few oddball incidents here and there. I color code her calendar. Though if she mentioned it to me I would write it down, just as I do any infractions of her diet, or body aches etc. I agree your doctor should know about it.

You might just have special powers.

Perhaps auras are very good things to have happen. I wish my daughter had some kind of warning. She would be able to sit down and be more prepared. Instead she comes crashing down, and occasionally has hit quite hard.

Perhaps when you have these premonitions you can learn to turn the brain activity around. I am reading Epilepsy A New Approach by Adrienne Richard and Joel Reiter M.D. It is about doing just this. You might check it out.

Perhaps auras are very good things to have happen. I wish my daughter had some kind of warning. She would be able to sit down and be more prepared. Instead she comes crashing down, and occasionally has hit quite hard.

Perhaps when you have these premonitions you can learn to turn the brain activity around. I am reading Epilepsy A New Approach by Adrienne Richard and Joel Reiter M.D. It is about doing just this. You might check it out.

Interesting. I have attempted visioning a different place or picutre when I have these aura's as I'm sure that I get some kinda "link" to whatever I'm thinking / looking at to the sz. But it really is hard to steer my brain onto another subject, once it's targeted onto the visual link.

I really do feel as though I'm one off the lucky ones, especially when I read about people such as your Daughter not getting any warnings.....that must be real difficult for her.

My aura's usually have a taste link too - it's like the same 'sensation' as licking the bottom off a battery.....so I get a couple of different warning signs before each sz. This way I'm also able to make my way to a more private area to have the sz, especially if I'm in the office.....it's alot more private and easier for me if I make my way to the loo, and take a seat (for instance).

I've just been keeping track of my actual seizures so far. Since the beginning of October I've had 4 (had another one last night :() and noticed that they are almost coming 2 weeks apart. Before that, the last bad ones were in Feb and April. I do have alot of auras though. It never occured to me to jot those down, they happen so much. I am trying to get my dr. to see me on a sliding scale since I am currently w/o insurance to see why my seizure have gotten worse, so far no luck. I don't think the 200mg a day of Topamax is working anymore.

It sounds like what they call an aura. I have the feeling like a seizure is about to starte but doesn't go all the way.

Auras drive me up the wall!

I can have tons of auras - and not a single
seizure. And yet, get one frigging aura and
get smacked with a seizure. But there's a
flip-side to this ....

But after so many years, I finally learned,
those piles of auras throughout the day if
they're not tightly knitted; I'm usually on
the safe side but it'll annoy the heck out
of me. However, those that are smacking
me in clusters is a real warning sign that
a seizure is GOING to come. And usually