Myoclonic Jerks?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Malla

New
Reaction score
Hi all... last few days I have experienced jerks. Coming after seizures and happening independent of seizures. (Inbetween seizures) Sorry I am a little foggy today, been a very hard seizure day....:(

Anyways I made it to the grocery store, and I looked like somone with Tourette. My left shoulder and arm has been jerking since this morning, and at the store my neck and face muscles on the same side kept jerking together with the arm.

Inbetween I can see the jerks repeating a pattern, but mostly they just jerk. Sometimes so hard my arm flies op to my face. (Especially active if I lay down on my bed just resting). Last night my left arm kept stretching itself and releasing, stretching and releasing.....

I am thinking Lyrica side effects... haha, atleast I am HOPING it's just a side effect.

Anyone experience this? TY all. Hugs Malla

Hi Malla --

Twitching and jerking can be Lyrica side effects, but they can also be seizures in and of themselves. Keep track of these symptoms -- if they are continue or get worse, let the doctor know. In the meantime, consider taking a magnesium supplement, as that can sometimes help with muscle spasms or twitches.

Thank you Nakamova, I have added magnesium to my "remember list". My memory is so bad lately.... I am having between 20-30 small seizures every day. Jerks, headaches, tingles, burning sensations on my body... First time I was on Lyrica I had no sideffects, but I have just heigtened dose so I can not rule it out. I finally managed to get my seizures under control couple of hours ago - and the jerks are gone for now. For how long I dont know.

I need to get up on my dosis quickly as I cant belive this to be healthy. I think my poor medication is the reason why I am getting worse. Went to see my doc today and he is as bad as any other.... completely indifferent:(

However he did agree to send me to Denmarks Epilepsy Hospital (Filadelphia). I am expecting to have to wait for a couple of weeks until I am admitted, but I will have to try to manage as best I can.

Thank God I have my fiance. He's been like a mom/dad/brother/sister/boyfriend/servant/masseuse to me during the past 10 months:)

Big hugs and thank yous, Malla

Last edited:
That's great that you've gotten referral to an Epilepsy Hospital. You might want to prepare a detailed record of your symptom and mediation history (if you haven't already) so though docs there can quickly get a handle on what you've been going through. And have a list of questions ready too. It never hurts to be over-prepared for a doctor's visit!

Yes Nakamova, I have started filming my seizures, I am writing a diary and trying to keep records as best I can. It helps me get an overview of what's going on too. I've been struggling so hard to cope for so long now, when he said he'd refer me, I didn't even react... I just said "thank you". LOL..... I've developed a "they won't help me anyway" attitude. That I need to try turn for a more positive one. And I'm terribly scared of being alone. But I just have to be strong. Gawd I never in my life knew a seizure disorder could be so difficult. I really feel for all of you out there. God bless you.... Hugs Malla

I get myoclonic jerks in response to fatigue and low blood sugar. Started to get them during a business meeting the other day, so got out a bag of nibbles (my 'first aid kit') and headed them off at the pass.

One of mine is just as you describe: my left hand flies up and hits me in the face. Another is my left leg jerking (foot flies outwards, or knee jerks upward); also my head flies around to the left shoulder sometimes.

I think some foods trigger mine as well, but I eat very few artificial foodstuffs already. Yellow food colouring (annato) is a bad one for me, and sends me into the jerks.

As part of keeping a diary, it might be worth noting what you eat, how tired you were at the time, and if you could do anything to stop them. For me, I can usually eat something sugary to stop them (real sugar, not aspartame, which also sets me off).

Good luck!

twitching/jerking movements especially in the arms and neck could be seizures, im not sure about the side effects of lyrica, i know about the jerks as i had those as seizures for over 10years (along with eyelid fluttering) before i was diagnosed with epilepsy after i had a grand mal seizure, id get it checked if it doesnt come under symptoms of lyrica. xxx

Back
Top Bottom