Myoclonic jerks returning. Meds losing effectiveness ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

corsch

New
Reaction score
I was dxed with JME in December of 2010, I was put on generic keppra 1000mg twice a day but got bumped up to 1250 about a year ago. Since then the myoclonic jerks have been popping up throughout the day when I get really stressed out or overwhelmed with what I'm doing. I started a new job and I haven't really been getting quite enough sleep or eating correctly. I know I've lost weight due to it. Could that be the problem? I know sleep is a huge factor but even when I'm caught up on sleep, I'll still get them.

Has anyone else had any experience with their medicine losing effectiveness after a while? Also, I don't know if this helps but I've been getting headaches during the day. I usually don't get headaches.

Last edited:
I was on Keppra for a long time and after a while I was having trouble with simple partials. Now I'm on Keppra and Vimpat. Our bodies change over time. You may need more Keppra or any one of many more options. My doctor increased me to 2000 mg of Keppra before adding Vimpat.

Our bodies reactions to the medicines is constantly changing.

No idea if the headaches have anything to do with it. I never had a problem with headaches, but I'm not the type to get headaches often.

Sleep was a huge problem with simple partials until we got the correct dosage of Vimpat.

I hope this answers some questions. Best of luck.

I was on Keppra for a long time and after a while I was having trouble with simple partials. Now I'm on Keppra and Vimpat. Our bodies change over time. You may need more Keppra or any one of many more options. My doctor increased me to 2000 mg of Keppra before adding Vimpat.

Our bodies reactions to the medicines is constantly changing.

No idea if the headaches have anything to do with it. I never had a problem with headaches, but I'm not the type to get headaches often.

Sleep was a huge problem with simple partials until we got the correct dosage of Vimpat.

I hope this answers some questions. Best of luck.
I know my threshold goes way down with lack of sleep so I'm hoping it's just a combination of diet and not getting enough sleep. I don't want to go to the neuro because that costs too much money so i'm just going to give it some time. The thing thats bizarre to me is that even if I take more medicine they still pop up.

It may be a situation where another medication should be added.

It may be a situation where another medication should be added.

I hope that isn't the case but we'll see. I'm gonna give it a week and see if it doesn't get better with my diet/sleep. If it doesn't then off to the doc I go.

Cheers for a fellow Missourian! I'm over in Columbia

Ah Back 40 land! I visit rather often.

I week should be a good amount of time to observe your symptoms. If you're forgetful, take notes. Diet doesn't really effect me.

Cheers! Oh yea, High Five! (apparently the high five may be our official state greeting)

Ah Back 40 land! I visit rather often.

I week should be a good amount of time to observe your symptoms. If you're forgetful, take notes. Diet doesn't really effect me.

Cheers! Oh yea, High Five! (apparently the high five may be our official state greeting)
I'm not too forgetful especially since they happen only at stressful points and if I keep my stress down then it's okay. I'm going to keep track of what I eat and how much sleep I get so i can take that to the doc. I appreciate the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom