Myoclonic jerks and your treatment?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Can you please say which kind of treatment are you using for the myoclonic jerks and also the dosage of the drug?

Ive been having simple partial seizures, where Ive had jerking movements on my right side of my body with stiffening. Im aware during the seizures, and not unconsious. But the dr kept me on keppra xr, at 3000mgs daily.

Hey,

I take 200mg per day of Lamictal, the research I've done and the info from my neuro is that Lamictal both boosts the effects of Sodium Valproate, AND controls the jerks associated with JME. It is supposedly better for myoclonics than tonic clonics.

Ive been having simple partial seizures, where Ive had jerking movements on my right side of my body with stiffening. Im aware during the seizures, and not unconsious. But the dr kept me on keppra xr, at 3000mgs daily.

Wait you do have jerks while being on 3000mg of keppra xr?

I think i saw a post where you said you are able to drive.

Hey,

I take 200mg per day of Lamictal, the research I've done and the info from my neuro is that Lamictal both boosts the effects of Sodium Valproate, AND controls the jerks associated with JME. It is supposedly better for myoclonics than tonic clonics.

Well sodium valporate din't do much,lamictal made it worse and unfortenetly din't help me.

Did it controll your jerks completley?

Nah didn't control them completely - but now when I have them, it is a lot less severe than it was years ago, and mainly just my right index finger. Sometimes it feels like my face has little twitches, but again - less severe...

Wait you do have jerks while being on 3000mg of keppra xr?

I think i saw a post where you said you are able to drive.

I was taken completely off my Keppra XR 3000mgs and Carbatrol ER 1200mgs the day I was admited for my VEEG. The following day, day 2 in the hosptial, is when I started having seizures. It involved the tingling sesations, feeling of fear, confusion. stiffening, and jerking on my right side of my body. My head would turn to the right as all of this was taking place. The seizures lasted between 1-2 minutes each. I was put back on the Keppra XR the night before I was released, but I kept having the seizures til my Keppra XR was at the level it needed to be in my body. Once it reached its level, the seizures stopped.

I waited awhile afterwords to drive, but yes, Im now able to drive again.

Tnx for the info.Keppra does help me and it controll my myoclonic seuziers mostly but i can't stand being with a stuffy nose and muscle pain any longer.I wish there would be a new drug which is effective for myoclonic jerks...

Back
Top Bottom