Mysoline/Primidone- delay in brand name

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alivenwell

Veteran
Reaction score
Note, there has been a temporary delay in production of Mysoline.

Rumors are flying around that the company is changing the appearance of the medication.

Generic brands are the only choice for a while.

I called Valeant and they have no specific time-frame.
Most wholesale distributors have nothing in stock.

Interesting - it only applied to

Temporary change to Mysoline® (primidone, USP) 250 mg tablets

But the link there on the
TEMPORARY CHANGE doesn't work
and resulted a failure.

It's not a RUMOR - it's a FACT:

www.valeant.com

Yeah, I actually had the guts to call their phone number and verified it with two different people. One person said the appearance will change. The other person on a different day said different machinery and possibly a different location will be involved.

It sounds like FDA approval is involved because the appearance is changing (different dyes, ...?). Supposedly, they will still use the same inert ingredients and same active ingredients in the filler of the medication. Maybe generics are safer until they get this straight.

I've had a perfect record with brand name only. This just really gets me totally frustrated beyond description.

Whoah! They actually got their act together for a change and actually, finally put some stuff in their link.
Check this out:
http://valeant.com/mysoline/index.jspf

The inert ingredients are also listed here as well. I never get their boxes like this to see everything, but here it is if anybody wants to see it. I don't know who or what 'Watson' is but they're involved in the 'new' Mysoline with the 'new' fillers.

Let's all call Valeant..he he. It's toll free!

Oh, and by the way, this all started on June 13, 2008--Friday the 13th!
Any takers?! I thought I'd post this in case anybody is switching back to the 'new' brand name. It gives you a chance to review inert ingredients.

NEW, improved and white tablet:
'Colloidal Silicone Dioxide, Docusate Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Celluose, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Starch Glycolate and Stearic Acid.'

OLD, yellow tablet:
'Microcrystalline Celluose,NF; Lactose, USP; Metholcelluose, USP; Sodium Starch Glycolate, NF; Talc, USP; Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, NF; Magnesium Stearate, NF; Water, USP, Purified'

I see some totally new ingredients, and some ingredients removed altogether. Hopefully they're not too significant.

Just in case they take this link off their site, here's the info:

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Mysoline® (primidone) 250 mg Change in Tablet Design

How is the “new” Mysoline 250 mg tablet different from the previous yellow-square tablet?
The new Mysoline 250 mg tablet is a round-white tablet that contains the same 250 mg of active ingredient (primidone) as the previous tablet version and is considered bioequivalent to the previous tablet version. The two tablets do differ slightly in their inactive ingredients. The lists of ingredients of both tablet versions are shown below:

“New” White-Round Tablet
Yellow-Square Tablet

Why did Valeant change the tablet design of Mysoline 250 mg tablets?
Valeant does not directly manufacture all of its pharmaceutical products – our previous manufacturing site was unable to continue to manufacture Mysoline 250 mg tablets so Valeant needed to qualify another manufacturing site to continue to produce the product. This new site (Watson) and version of the product has now been FDA approved, and the new Mysoline 250 mg tablet is considered bioequivalent to the previous version.

Will the previously available yellow-square Mysoline 250 mg tablet ever be available again?
Valeant is currently working to qualify an additional manufacturing site that will have the capability to produce Mysoline 250 mg tablets using the previous formulation and tablet design. We are working to validate this site and manufacturing process with FDA as quickly as possible, but are unable to provide a firm date as to when this will take place. If you would like to be notified if and when the yellow-square version of Mysoline 250mg tablets becomes available, please contact our Customer Service Team at 800-556-1937 to have your name and contact information added to our notification list.

When will this new Mysoline 250 mg tablet be available?
Valeant received FDA approval to market this new tablet design on June 13th, 2008 and we began shipping quantities of the product out to wholesalers on Monday, June 16th. We expect that Mysoline 250 mg tablets should be available through your local pharmacy just as quickly as your pharmacy can order it from their wholesaler or distributor.

How will my insurance coverage be affected?
This new tablet design has maintained the same NDC number as the previous Mysoline 250 mg tablet 100 count bottle, so your insurance coverage should not change from what it was previous to this change in tablet design.

To help patients without insurance coverage that may have difficulty affording their medication, Valeant has lowered the qualification criteria for our Mysoline Patient Assistance Program (PAP) to 300% of Federal Poverty Level (previously 200%). In order to access this Patient Assistance Program through Rx Hope, patients may visit http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...rimidone-delay-brand-name-2917/www.rxhope.com and under the “Patients and Caregivers” section, click on “Search for Programs”. They can then select by medication or by company to view the PAP information and download an application. They can also inquire through our call center by calling 1-800-511-2120 between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm EST

Are there any other options if I do not wish to utilize the new Mysoline 250 mg tablets?
There are multiple manufacturers on the market for generic primidone 250mg tablets. Additionally, the current manufacturing changes affect the Mysoline 250 mg tablets only, and inventory of Mysoline 50 mg tablets from our previous manufacturing site is readily available, and unaffected by the changes outlined above. As is customary, when any changes occur with anticonvulsant therapy, we suggest that patients receive additional counseling from their physician.
For full Mysoline prescribing information, please click here.

Last edited:
Is anybody receiving brand name Mysoline in its older square appearance? I was curious if the manufacturer decided to create the older pill again; or whether a warehouse had an overstock of this med.

Back
Top Bottom