In need of a little advice.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BRTN

New
Reaction score
Hi all

I suffer from nocturnal epilepsy and recently it has been very controlled.

I have recently moved away to start a new job (I'm completely new to the area and away from family friends etc) and the past few evenings I have not been sleeping well (one of the main symptoms I recognise when I have had a seizure during the night). Usually when this happens it is tolerable, however sometimes it completely wipes me out.

I am starting my new job tomorrow, but today I feel awful and pretty much bed-bound. I believe I suffered from a number of seizures during the night - I feel extremely weak, sick and get waves of being very emotional.

Is there any explanation for this? I realise that I am out of my usual routine, however I do not feel particularly stressed about starting my new job. I am, though, worried that I will not be well enough to go to work on my first day and give an extremely bad first impression as my employer does not currently know about my epilepsy.

Has anyone suffered from anything similar to this, or have any advice for me to limit the chances of me being unwell tomorrow?

Thanks

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that could be at play here but I will share one thing that I have learned is helping me, as I have a similar situation to you (and this may not be applicable to your situation but here goes)--I'm finding if I'm not paying attention to my nutrition and hydration enough my sleep and seizure stability really suffer. I'm on meds for both seizures and blood pressure that deplete potassium, magnesium and B vitamins as well as fluids, and an imbalance in any of those can affect sleep which can also have an affect on seizures. I wasn't sleeping at all and started drinking a lot, eating very very well and supplementing, and I'm finally sleeping well and finally not having simple partials and that constant feeling I'm having subclinicals, which kill my sleep. Again, I don't know if it will help you but eating good potassium/magnesium/calcium rich foods and being very well hydrated today can't hurt. Most of our meds have an affect there.

I probably haven't been paying a great amount of attention to my nutrition, so will definitely bear this in mind. Thank you.

If that's the case, calcium and magnesium might really help you tonight if taken before bed (B vitamins should not be taken before bed though as they can be too stimulating).

Hi BRTN --

I agree with lindsay that a magnesium supplement before bedtime can help. (And calcium can help too, though that nutrient is easier to get through your diet than some others). I recommend the magnesium taurate form of magnesium, since it's easily absorbed and the taurine also plays a role in soothing the brain.

Also, if you don't already, try not to use your computers/TV/phone within 2 hours of bedtime. Those bluescreens can interfere with your brain's melatonin production and mess with your ability to sleep.

One more thing -- I don't know if this is relevant to you, but hormonal changes can also be seizure triggers and can also contribute to feelings of fatigue.

Is there any explanation for this? I realise that I am out of my usual routine, however I do not feel particularly stressed about starting my new job. I am, though, worried that I will not be well enough to go to work on my first day and give an extremely bad first impression as my employer does not currently know about my epilepsy.

Even though you don't think your stressed you might be. If I'm stressed or worried about something I do tend to have seizures. I try to calm myself down as best as I can but sometimes it's easier said than done.

Good luck with your new job!

Back
Top Bottom