nervous and edgy before seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

arnie

New
Reaction score
I have noticed over the past few years that often, in the days before I have a cluster of my complex partials I will start to feel sort of nervous and edgy. Of course, there are things in daily life that can cause that, but I've noticed that it does seem to follow a pattern of sorts. Things that might not ordinarily bother me seem to get to me, and there is just sort of a formless unease, almost a dread. There are times during these days when listening to music (which I ordinarily love) will really grate on my nerves and I have to turn it off. I've tried to track it some in relation to other things in my life, such as diet or unusual stresses, but I can't put a finger on anything specific. I'm writing about it now because I'm feeling that edginess. We will see what the next few days bring. Does anyone else have anything like that?

This describes perfectly what I go through. My seizures are nocturnal, and this happens to me before a bad seizure. Usually starting in the late afternoon and lasting through to bed time I'll start to feel edgy and nervous (exact words I've used), and sometimes also overly concerned with things going wrong (I think the "sense of doom" thing people describe having is stronger than what I have, but kind of like that). Those are all very contrary to my usual personality, even if I've had a trying day. I love to watch certain shows in the evening, or catch up on email, or play computer/video games, and I'll find myself become so oddly irritated with things about them. Little things not going 100% right (eg. papers falling off the table, realizing I forgot to wash the dinner dishes - which takes all of 5 min, big deal) can make the edginess and dread worse. The odd part is, I never think to myself at the time "oh no I'm feeling this way so I'm going to have a bad night". It is only in hindsight the next morning that I'll make the connection.
Like you I've tried to find other things to blame the mood change on, but I can get this way even after what has been a good day. I think this only happens prior to a bad seizure night for me, and not prior to a night where I might just wake to auras or something. I must admit I'm kind of glad to know I'm not the only one that gets this!!

Last edited:
I really like hearing what you had to say, even though I'm sorry you have to go through it. Sounds in every way like what I experience. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

I've tried to track it some in relation to other things in my life, such as diet or unusual stresses, but I can't put a finger on anything specific. I'm writing about it now because I'm feeling that edginess. We will see what the next few days bring. Does anyone else have anything like that?

Arnie

I also have been keeping a diary of my day. With all things that set me off. Two days ago I had to take my wife to the hospital for blood work. (she drove :) We were their over 3 hours. The wait time was longer than usual. During this time I had two or three auras lasting 5 or 6 seconds but nothing unusual I have them all day long now. It was not until I got home I started to get edgy and the aura (smell) was more frequent and stronger smelling. Everyone so far I hear says it smells like burnt tires. Mine is more of a chemical cleaner smell. I took my meds and a nighttime advil and headed off to bed. I had enough and did not want to vent at my wife.

Next week I am going cold turkey off of coffee. To see if this has any change to my disfunction. Which will be hard, ive drank coffee for over 35 yrs...
As you say Arnie there seems to be no ryme or reason ???!!!

I've had a several times where I've been off coffee for a few weeks and it didn't seem to make any difference at all, so I went back to it. I like coffee. I also like wine occasionally, but I don't drink very much. One time I went for over 3 years with no alcohol and that made no difference in my seizures, so I decided to start having some wine again. Epilepsy is pretty unpredictable. :(

Arnie

I also have been keeping a diary of my day. With all things that set me off. Two days ago I had to take my wife to the hospital for blood work. (she drove :) We were their over 3 hours. The wait time was longer than usual. During this time I had two or three auras lasting 5 or 6 seconds but nothing unusual I have them all day long now. It was not until I got home I started to get edgy and the aura (smell) was more frequent and stronger smelling. Everyone so far I hear says it smells like burnt tires. Mine is more of a chemical cleaner smell. I took my meds and a nighttime advil and headed off to bed. I had enough and did not want to vent at my wife.
No, it's not just burning tires. I have never smelled that. I smell something like buring cigarettes, burning incense, burning ammonia or a sickly sweet smell. The worst are the burning ammonia and the sickly sweet smell. During the burning ammonia smells my throat burns too. Thankfully all the phantom odors have stopped since I have been on Lamictial.

Thanks MAB. I am looking forward to Lamictial and no phantom smells. Its good to know that it is just not burning tires.

I understand what you mean. I also feel anxious as well. Like when I get auras I feel this unease and when that happens I start to think about it more, and when I think about it more I end up having a seizure :(

Back
Top Bottom