Neuro not encouraging

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blessed

New
Reaction score
I had a visit with my neuro today to discuss the side effects of zonegran that have become too much to tolerate. He said, "Let's get off the zonegran". He wants to to put me on Depakote (I said I no because I did not want to get fat and bald) so he suggested Klonopin. When I told him I wanted off the meds altogether, he just informed me of the risks. I told him it was a risk to take medication too. I am so sick of the side effects!

Long story short, he's going to run an EEG next week and said I could start lowering my dose by 25mg. per week. Ultimately, I know it will be my decision and I will have to live with the consequences. My husband has offered to do all the driving for a while. I have 3 boys and I teach music and drama to children so I should be able to continue taking care of my family and keep my job. I plan on pursuing neurofeedback on the advice of Bernard as well.

I don't know if I will come off the meds totally or not. I need to pray about it a lot and trust God for guidance. I am scared after being on meds for 25 years.:cry: Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I make this difficult decison.

Be aware that most insurance companies don't cover neurofeedback for epilepsy. You might have better luck filing a claim for treating ADD/ADHD (if you have that problem).

At any rate, I hope you are able to give it a serious chance. It took a full 5-6 months before Stacy really started realizing the benefits of the training - and we almost quit 3-4 months into it.

Patience is everything with alternative meds wether its homeopathy,neurofeedback, herbs, acupuncture. So pace yourself.

Wishing you the best of luck

Riva

Zenogran was better for me than Depokate it made me loose my hair and I got fatter as I took it so good Luck.

I am on zonegran now and was on Depakote. Just keep focused on what you are heading for. And things eventually will go your way. Breathe , and meditate.

I was on Zonnegran and Topamax together once and slept all the time.
I lost 15 pounds.

Belinda

I am currently on Depakote ER and have neither become fat nor bald although I know it can happen. But truthfully, I've had no weight gain or hair loss so it isn't written in stone.

Your neuro may not have been encouraging, but I applaud you for deciding to go off the medication :clap: Pursuing biofeedback is a great idea. You may want to look into nutritional changes you can make during this time as well. I know many people have had great success combining nutrition and feedback :)

Back
Top Bottom