Neurologist Appointment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
I rang and made an appointment with my neurologist today. They could get me in for EEG and consultation tomorrow but I said that I couldn't make tomorrow. Anyway, I ended up with an appointment for next Monday (7th February) at midday. I wanted to see if I could make it even just a little later and then I would only have to take a half day off work. With all the messing around going to work and then the doctors (and never knowing if the doctor will run to time anyway) just to get back to school (i'm a teacher) for a short period of time doesn't seem worth it so i've sent an email to my boss to request that I have a full day off. Hopefully it all works out.

the full day off sounds like a good idea. That way you can rest and not have to worry about getting to work. I hope all goes well!

I hope the appointment goes well. If you can, write down any questions you have for the neurologist (and don't hesitate to ask any others that might come up during the course of the appointment). And then write down the answers too. Even better if you can have someone with you to do the writing...

Here's some advice for when you go to the doctor (and yes, make it a full hour!)

Try keeping a seizure diary of your sleep patterns, what you eat and when, daily activities and stresses. Write down any recent life changes that could trigger seizure activity. Each time a seizure occurs, write down the time, the type of seizure it was and how long it lasted. All of this can help your doc can get a better idea of what’s going on with you.

Also, seek input from people who may observe your seizures — including family, friends and co-workers — so that you can record information you may not know.

Let your doc know how you’re responding to your current medications. Be sure to share your concerns about any side effects, drug reactions, behavior changes, physical changes, trouble sleeping, loss of memory, or even brain fog. Accurate reporting will help you and your doctor make decisions together about a treatment plan that works best for you if your meds aren't doing the job now.

Preparing a list of questions in advance will help you make the most of your time with your doctor. List your questions and the doctor’s answers from most important to least important in case time runs out.

Be persistent in asking your questions until you fully understand the explanation. If you don’t understand a diagnosis or treatment, ask more questions — take more notes.

Make sure you understand the script and whether name brand or generic will make a difference to your condition. And make sure you know exactly what the doctor wants you to do before you leave the office.

Ask about follow-up and get a contact number so if you happen to think of more questions, or forgot something the doctor told you, you can call the office immediately and request the information.

And good luck...

Thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated. I must say though i've been seeing the same neurologist for nearly 17 years and think he's awesome.
Anyway my direct supervisor (one of the Assistant Principals) emailed back to say that taking the day off was fine with her so now I just need to hear from the principal but he's pretty easy going and I don't expect any problem there. The main reason I had for not taking the appointment for today was that I couldn't give ample notice for having a day off.

Back
Top Bottom