The Neurologist From Hell

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
Yes, the neurologist from hell. Yesterday, I had an appointment with a new neurologist. Never ever did I think I’d be sobbing at the hands of a doctor. This letter I wrote to the Better Business Bureau says it all but not really because they don’t want to hear
&^&^&*(@!!!! - just dates, times and facts.

I left this doctor’s office feeling like a thing someone stomped on. While sobbing on the way home I thought how I needed to report him to an agency but was so burnt out and feeling lowly I didn’t think I had the strength to do the research and proceed. Hours, hours passed and I could not rid myself of the ugly. I felt I had been violated all over again.

Then by some miracle I came to life, fighting. Now, after having written this letter I’ve taken my power back. Here it goes and now I can rest well tonight.

Please! If anyone of you have suffered such an experience, take action. You will feel all the better for it. And you might help prevent this happening to someone else. Every little bit counts....

July 19, 2013

Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan New York
257 Park Avenue, New York 10010

To Whom it May Concern,

I am writing to report inept and highly inappropriate behavior of neurologist Dr. Norman Pslaster of South Shore Neurology located at 877 East Main Street, Riverhead New York.

On July 18th at 8:45am I had an appointment with Dr. Pslaster to establish myself as a new patient in order that I be treated for Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. (My former neurologist left practice without alerting his patients),

My objectives were to receive my anti-convulsive prescriptions and to get recommendations for imaging centers so I could provide Dr. Pslaster with updated MRI and EEG results.

Dr. Pslaster said that under no condition would he write out the two prescriptions for me. Please note that I provided him with the bottles. I stated that I saw no reason he couldn’t write out a prescription as a neurologist for a neurological condition. He ignored me.

He asked me to recount what my former neurologist had to say about my MRI results.I told him that he said that my left hippocampus was stunted 50% less than the right. That his first question to me was if I had ever suffered from early on abuse because this would account for the impediment.

At this point Dr. Pslaster said that the only way one can get Temporal Lobe Epilepsy is by physical brain trauma. When I told him that I had never heard of such a thing he began screaming at me asking me who did I think I was? Needless to say I was very unnerved. I calmly asked him to stop screaming at me. That I didn’t think it would benefit a patient in any way. He mumbled an apology.

He then asked me what my “so called” early on abuse was. I told him it was sexual, physical and emotional. He stood up and on his way out the door said that he didn’t want to hear about my “sex life”. This bought me to sobbing. I quickly composed myself because I needed to address my needing my medications upon his return.

When he returned to the office I stated my case telling him that if I were suddenly cut off from these medications the likely hood of me going into a seizure is almost certain, my body going into shock. He left the room and returned with the prescriptions and imaging referrals, shoving them “at me.”

I am aware that your organization cannot change his conduct but can warn other consumers of patient grievances against him.
I hope this can come to fruition as persons with neurological disorders are the most vulnerable of patients. I would not want for anyone to be subjected to such unprofessional and detrimental treatment as I had from this doctor.

Thank you in advance for reading and I am with hope that action will be taken.

Sincerely,

Laurie Palmer

Last edited:
....and disgraceful. I wonder what "his" issues are but I don't want to hear about his "sex life."

i'm with you girl :( had a new neuro treat me like:
a) i didn't my own feelings or anything about E
b) women were stupid and i should have brought my boyfriend

i walked out halfway through the consultation, tears flowing, and made it clear he wouldn't see me again. (((HUGS)))

Thank tons for the hugs! I'm needing them. This doctor was uncomfortable that I knew so much about Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. He actually said "You sound very congnizant to me" as if he expected me to be drooling at the mouth. Some doctors in this country just don't want educated patients. I'm so sorry you had to go though your own ordeal so ((HUGS))) right back atcha....

ohhhh yeah... anytime i said anything that made him realize i knew alot about E he made it clear the mtg would be easier if i let him do all the talking, that he'd 'let me know when he wanted me to answer him.'
see ya asshole.

Yep. This guy had rage in his eyes when I mentioned tonic-clonic seizures as opposed to the antiquated term Grand Mals.

Laurie,
That is shocking, I'm sorry about your bad experience with the new neurologist. He sounds like a total a**hole.

Thank you, CQ. "shock" is the opperative word. My head was spinning. My heart was pounding. It took all my will power to hold back from reaming into him in order to get those prescriptions.

But I got 'em! Here's to you doctor :pfft:

This guy had rage in his eyes when I mentioned tonic-clonic seizures as opposed to the antiquated term Grand Mals.

WHAT???!! Why the rage in his eyes if he's such an experienced dr.? Obviously doesn't know enough about E to make the correct diagnosis.

I'd be contacting not only the BBB, but the state's medical licensing board, too, and file a complaint against this loser. His behavior was totally uncalled for and should never be tolerated again. Sorry you had to experience this. But glad you wrote the letter!! Go girl!!!!!:clap::clap:

What???! That is horrible!!! I'm sorry he's such a jerk and treated you like he did. I agree with cint- about contacting everyone you can. He needs to lose his license.

**hugs**

Cint said:
I'd be contacting not only the BBB, but the state's medical licensing board, too,

Thanks, friend. That is something to look into.

And thank you CathyAnn. He is a jerk and would like to see him "practice" digging ditches to China. Thanks so much for the hugs.

Last edited:
Hi Cinnabar, I'm sorry you're going through this.
The doctor I had before my former doctor ended up to be really rude at our very last appointment. We had to wait between 30 to 60 minutes before seeing him, so if for example one appointment was scheduled for 4:30pm and we (my mother and I) arrived at the hospital at 4:20pm, we would be seen around 5:10pm instead of the planned 4:30pm. Because of the long waiting times, my sister complained to someone or that doctor. As we went in to his office, we talked to him about my seizures, medication, etc. Then, at the end, he told us that we would be discharged from his care. I don't think that was necessary as I still have epilepsy and my seizures were uncontrolled at the time, so I concluded that he discharged me because of the complaint.
I hope that you get another neurologist, or even better an epileptologist. :)

OMG !!!
WoW ,sorry you had to expieriance that.
Its those that treat the ones that need the care, should be held accountable.
He had no right to treat you that way. He took an Oath to others needs.
But some do slip thru the cracks.
Stand your ground !!!

What an arrogant man, to say the least! You have taken the right line of action, Laurie. My first neurologist was an arrogant man who dismissed all I could get in as 'anxiety' - take a sleeping pill he said!

I got a second opinion and thankfully I am pleased with her. The days of no information for the service user are over - the doctors should be pleased that we are now well informed.
((Hugs)) to to you Laurie :)

Lovespurple, Rich and Nicholas - Good news now! And old friend just came back into my life who has an excellent neurologist. I told her my story and she told me that I would be in good, safe expert hands. Thank so you all for all of your comfort...

And old friend just came back into my life who has an excellent neurologist. I told her my story and she told me that I would be in good, safe expert hands.

:ponder: Keeping my fingers crossed.

Changing doctors can be a blessing. My first was an epitologist. I suffered a seizure so severe that the plane I was on had to return to the gate. The next thing I remember was an ambulance and 2 sexy EMT's. They found my ICE on my cell and I have a hazy memory of my husband picking me up. On the way home, I went into a status epilepticus event and my husband turned into a hospital. After 2 days, I awoke to two neurologists who I later identified as Mutt, the skinny, and Jeff, so fat his arms hadn't touched his sides for years. One more night in the hospital and I was discharged. During this time, my husband called my epitologist several times, left messages with no response and when we got home, we called and left messages over a few days with no return calls. Finally I got an appointment. Our first question to the doctor was, "Why did you not return our calls?" The answer, "We received your messages, left messages, but you never called back." My husband sat quietly looking at his cell phone. His response, "Strange that Verizon for both our home and cell phones has no record of calls from your office." There was a hush. The doctor, as usual, upped the dose of medication and quickly left the room. After research and a recommendation, we found a level 4 neurologist with a specialty in epilepsy. Although my appointment could not be scheduled for three months, his first analysis was, "These two drugs conflict, one blocking the other. The epitologist was a student of mine and obviously wasn't listening." With help, I have gone from grand mal, tonic clonic to occasional mild nocturnal seizures. I have been blessed. Neurologists are rated with 4 being the highest rating. In our area Dallas, there are only two! Here's hoping you can be blessed, too.

An epileptologist IS someone who specializes in epilepsy. This is the only type of neuro I see because I have TC's as well as CPs and have gone status several times. I had an unsuccessful temporal lobectomy and now have the VNS, therefore only see a level 4 epileptologist at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. There are 2 level 4 docs at this hospital.

Go to this website for info on an epileptologist:
http://www.aesnet.org/find-a-dr/find-a-doctor-epilepsy-com

Last edited:
That is a horrible experience. Sorry you had to go through that.
I haven't had great luck with neuros, but nothing as bad as your experience. The pediatric neurologist who diagnosed my epilepsy didn't even suggest medication! I knew nothing about epilepsy, and neither did my parents, so we had no idea there even was medication for it. A number of years later I had a TC (previously they were simple partials) and then I got a new neurologist. That one was not very nice. When I told him that my seizures corresponded to my monthly cycle, he told me there was no way that they would and said it as if it were a totally stupid suggestion... a few months later my GP was the one who explained to me why it is definitely possible for seizures to be triggered by hormones. Anyway that same neuro totally yelled at me once because I hadn't been to his office in over 6 months. I called to refill my meds, and the pharmacy didn't receive a reply to their faxes to his office, so I called and spoke to the doctor and he was super rude to me and said he would absolutely not refill my prescription because it had been over 6 months since I'd had an appointment. I was never told he wanted to see me in 6 months, so I never scheduled an appointment. I think he agreed to do one more refill because I was almost totally out, but I changed neuros right after that. My next (and current) neuro is very nice, but there have been a number of times that I mentioned something to him, and he'd be like, "Oh yeah, you can try that." Like it was something obvious that he didn't think of and I was the one who had to suggest it.
A few years later he sent me for a second opinion with an epileptologist at Yale (her name was Dr. Susan Spencer and supposedly was very well-known. Then she died unexpectedly about a year later and they gave me another epileptologist at Yale). Dr. Spencer suggested that I have a 5-day-long EEG, where they discovered my seizures coming from the left side of my frontal lobe, and she prescribed Lamictal (in addition to Tegretol and Keppra, which I was already taking) which has helped a great deal. Anyway, I felt like the epileptologists really knew what they were talking about and they were very nice doctors, but Yale is about an hour away from me, and once I got the second opinion from the doctors there, my neuro seemed to have a better idea of how to treat me, so I just stuck with my current neuro even if I sometimes have to suggest stuff he didn't think about. haha.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom