New to Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bunchiema

New
Reaction score
My cousin, 27 years old, was diagnosed a few weeks ago with adult onset epilepsy. The siezures were bad but are improving. My biggest question(please forgive me) is if adults with epilepsy can ever be independent and live on their own?
Her mother is convinced she's debilitated forever. I feel the prognosis is better. I suspect it may be the pituitary tumor (100% operable) and stress causing the siezures. Her mother thinks it's not and that this is terminal. We have very different opinions. We are moving her out of mom's and into mine this weekend.
I don't want this to disable her. She's strong and independent. Not to mention stubborn as hell.
Do people with epilepsy live on their own? Is it possible to be safe without someone following you around and checking on you every 5 minutes? (instruction from the mom)
Any feedback is welcome.

I've had seizures all my life & have lived the majority of my adult life alone with no problems.

Hey there, I have seizures and am on 200mg of lamotrigine daily to control them. I have 4 and 5 year old boys and we are together alone a lot of the time as my partner has to work nights on his rota. It is totally possible to be independent. Social services are not concerned about this and my ability to be independent, even when I was having one a week. I wouldn't have a bath alone, however, but other than that, things are as normal as they can be around here. Can't blame her mother for worrying, she is probably just scared, but I really wouldn't worry too much about what she is saying.

My cousin, 27 years old, was diagnosed a few weeks ago with adult onset epilepsy. The siezures were bad but are improving. My biggest question(please forgive me) is if adults with epilepsy can ever be independent and live on their own?
Her mother is convinced she's debilitated forever. I feel the prognosis is better. I suspect it may be the pituitary tumor (100% operable) and stress causing the siezures. Her mother thinks it's not and that this is terminal. We have very different opinions. We are moving her out of mom's and into mine this weekend.
I don't want this to disable her. She's strong and independent. Not to mention stubborn as hell.
Do people with epilepsy live on their own? Is it possible to be safe without someone following you around and checking on you every 5 minutes? (instruction from the mom)
Any feedback is welcome.

I was diagnosed at age 38 and have always lived on my own. It definitely takes some adjusting. The worst adjustment for me was having to deal with people (my mom mainly) like what your cousin's mother sounds like.
The seizures themselves are scary enough without having hyper-reactive nutjobs around to have to deal with. What your cousin's mother needs to figure out is that now your cousin still reserves the right to not answer the phone. Your cousin still has the right to have bad moods and a bad day without it meaning she is has gone into a psychotic seizure. Your cousin still has the right to be independent (though this can take some adjustments, not driving for example).

Having people around me reminding me continually that I'm in a compromised state and babying me is about the worst thing that happens to me now, aside from the seizures, when I really do need babying.

It sounds like your cousin's mom needs to do some research into what seizures look like, the phases of tonic-clonic seizures, and the times when it is best to interact with someone having a seizure.

DO NOT try to grapple with and restrain someone having a seizure - for one example.
DO NOT get in their face and start screaming in panic - for another example.

there are videos on YouTube of people going through tonic-clonic seizures and some of them show people interacting with them.
I would emphasize leaving the person alone.

As long as there is no immediate danger (near fire, kicking babies, etc.) it is best to just monitor the person during the seizure to be sure it doesn't last more than a few minutes, and then make them comfortable by putting a pillow under their head.

Even if they're in a public place it is best to let the seizure come to a complete end and then let them lay there for a while to let their body rest it off.

I've had seizures where within a couple minutes I've been able to walk on my own, some where I've slept for many hours afterward.

This message board has been of great assistance to me - whether ranting or learning new info.
I'd recommend you direct your cousin here or to a similar board where she can get some info and feel not so bizarre, because times for me have been scary, just coping with the idea of not feeling in control of oneself anymore. But that's not the case at all - it's just that I happen to control a social situation every now and then without even knowing! And then the big blue people (i.e. paramedics) come every so often and I magically wind up in an ER somewhere.

She ought to get a medical alert bracelet. I just ordered another one after I had my first seizure solo in public. It was like losing my virginity all over again - on a train full of strangers! Whee!

Hi bunchiema,

Many, many folks with epilepsy are able to live independent lives. I happen to be one of them. I've lived completely on my own since my diagnosis 12 years ago at age 35. Everyone’s epilepsy is unique and may impact their lives in different and unpredictable ways. It's probably too soon for you and your cousin to have a good sense of what the impact on her life will be, but generally speaking, there's nothing in an epilepsy diagnosis per se that rules out living independently. Keep in mind that epilepsy is not a degenerative disease with gradual loss of function. It's more along the lines of something like asthma: It needs to be taken seriously and managed (usually with medication), but it doesn't necessarily require someone to wrap themselves in bubble-wrap and hope for the best.

I suggest that at some point you and your cousin and her mother should put together a list of questions to be discussed with the neurologist. The doctor should be able to give an approximate sense of what to expect and what lifestyle changes (if any) are worth considering.

Best,
Nakamova

We are getting her a medical alert bracelet and just had the ER visit despite my best effort to let her ride it out in public. I have showed her this site and the posts. I'll just wait for her to sign up.
Thank you everyone for the posts and future posts. Incredibly helpful and informative.

Hi bunchiema,

I started taking seizures again in 2002 (after being 22 years seizure free) & at the time I was already living on my own. I continued to live on my own with no problems as I felt living on my own helped me keep my independance. My parents never suggested me going to live back with them because they knew I would hate it plus didn't want to take what independance I had away. My parents live 30 mins away but I speak to my Mum every day. I have some great neighbours who live in the same block of units as me, there is 1 old lady in particular (she's 81) who is fantastic & has always there if I need her ( I call her my adopted Nanna lol).

A Medic Alert bracelet is a good idea, I've had one since 2002 & always wear it. My seizures are pretty much under control at the moment but I still wear the bracelet.

Back
Top Bottom