New to Keppra. Give me the low-down please!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been on ever-increasing doses of Tegretol for 7 years now but for the past year or so it's not been doing its job properly so today my neuro introduced Keppra. Being a newbie to Keppra I read the info the pharmacist gave me but I'm looking for info from experienced users so I know what to expect and look out for. Any low down would be appreciated. I'm currently on 1200mg of Tegretol CR being reduced to 800mg next week and further reduced in 3 months and this new dose of 500mg of Keppra (250mg 2xday) for 3 months to see if it helps and/or needs increasing.

been on keppra for a long time it can be effective but also dangerous mean by that is it can cause outbursts of anger sometimes for no reason.and makes me dizzy and higher the increase worst it gets for me.on 3000mgs daily had my way i wouldnt be on it but drs rules.any questions just ask me been on it for over 5yrs

Keppra affects everyone differently at different doses. Starting out at 500mg quite common and you will feel sleepy all the time. As your dose gets gets higher, the moodier and agitated you will get.

Some helpful tips:

cut down or eliminate caffeinated drinks.

Stay well hydrated.

don't over exert yourself.

As always, don't operate dangerous equipment until you are used to the meds.

I'm quite terrified by this aggression everyone says you can get. To read the "official" stats it's *only* 5-10% but that's still high enough for my liking!
Does anyone here also take an anti-depressant with Keppra? I take fluoxetine (Lovan/Prozac).... that's going to help.... right???!!! Everyone has me freaked out! Lol

i take keppra with tegretol and well.... i got a feeling they dont work so well together for me.... they do great for controlling sezures but the side effects r terrible! i already had bad side effects with tegretol and being on keppra made them 100% worse! im coming off both soon hopefully

it may be fine for you! i didnt notice anything till bout 6 months in!

I take 2,000 mgs of Keppra daily as well as fluoxetine. (also 600mgs of Carbatrol). I have not had any rage or anger issues. Try not to freak out. Everyone's system is different with the medications that we take. Just give it a try. You may have some dizziness at first, but that will pass. Let me know how you are doing!

Huskymom that's a bit more relieving! I mean if 1 in 10 people have problems with it then someone has to be among the other 9, right! By sheer determination that will be me. I've decided!
Thanks for your contributions everyone, I appreciate them :)

Yes, stay positive about the Keppra. Many people do very well on it.

(And if you do start to notice moodiness, ask your doc about adding a B6 supplement -- it can help.)

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra (have been taking it for 12 years now) along with 200 mgs. of Topomax (which is also used as a mood stabilizer) and 200 mgs. of Zoloft. I've not noticed any more anxiety, depression while taking Keppra as compared with some of the other AED's. IMO, TLE is the cause of it all.

The rage occurs for me but the term rage is a little off. I just have a shorter fuse on occasion but it is not a 'rage'.

I am on Celexa with my Keppra. Just a low dose - 20 mg a day. And I'm 2000 mg of Keppra a day (1000 am and 1000 pm). The combination seems to be working pretty well together... Moods were definitely the worst thing about the Keppra once my body adjusted, and the Celexa has helped with that a lot (I thought I forgot to refill the Celexa one weekend and went without and it and it wasn't pretty). Keppra is the only one I've had real experience with, so I can't really compare it to other stuff. Actually I JUST started taking Lamictal last week, but it's still at a very low dose.

I didn't have the rage when I was on Keppra, it effected me differently, I cried all the time, was scared to be alone, I was VERY senitive to movement of any kind. Having said all this, I think I'm the only one that it had this type of effect on.

You will only know but taking it yourself, since we all react diff. to diff. medic.

I added Keppra XR to my 400 mg 2 x daily of tegretol yesterday. I am on 500 mg 2x daily then on Sunday increase to 1000 mg 2x daily with a followup in 3 weeks. I am also scares about side effects.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Im on 3000mgs of Keppra XR daily. For me, it works wonders. If the Kepprage does bother you, you can try taking a vitamin b-12. I was told by my dr that it works. :)

I am already on a long list of vitamins including oral and injectable B-12, vitamin D, CoQ10, Calcium and Magnesium. I have been taking them a while. The CoQ10 does amazing things for reducing soreness- recommended by my pain dr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I advise extreme caution
I had the bad effect with it and nothing has been the same since

I've been on ever-increasing doses of Tegretol for 7 years now but for the past year or so it's not been doing its job properly so today my neuro introduced Keppra. Being a newbie to Keppra I read the info the pharmacist gave me but I'm looking for info from experienced users so I know what to expect and look out for. Any low down would be appreciated. I'm currently on 1200mg of Tegretol CR being reduced to 800mg next week and further reduced in 3 months and this new dose of 500mg of Keppra (250mg 2xday) for 3 months to see if it helps and/or needs increasing.

I take Vitamin D 2,000 units twice daily. My doctor tested my Vitamin D levels along with lots of other tests and it was 5.9, normal is 30 to 100, YIKES. He's gonna test it again in December.

Been living with seizures since i was 7--I am now 38, 39 in sept...my seizures have always occured at night....never during the day...and even without meds they occur on a regular around once every 3-4 months, but when they do....WOW...i was taking depakote for the longest time....and hadnt had a neurologist for a really long time....well I recently got back on track and my Doc started me on Keppra, last night was my 1st dose of 500 mg....and it knocked me for a loop!!.....had me VERY drowsy, and kinda goofy...1--500mg tablet at night for 7 days....then up my dose to 1000mg...once in morning --once at night....lol.....i am hoping my system adjust accordingly because WOW!!...stuff can be strong!..and I will keep you posted with any weird side effects....anyway..I take vitamins on a regular with B-complex..Im not really worried about the mood changes...Ive went through early menapause, so Im sure that it cant be worse than that....LOL....Im glad to be a part of these forums and I hope that I can seek out answers as well as answer a few for those of you out there that have questions about this mysterious disorder....Live Well to the rest of you and let nothing hold you back from functioning normally everyday..its your right....and its your life....LIVE IT!!

Reading the side effects like you have will assist you in recognizing if they are happening to you. Keppra made me moody (not rageful but close), made my skin feel weird all over and I didn't want anyone touching me, made me have more seizures, hallucinate, become afraid to leave the house, feel really weird mentally, and have head aches with every dose. Kinda yucky for me. The moodiness made me yell at the kids... that's completely unacceptable in my book as they did nothing wrong. I could control it about 85% of the time, but if I was tired it got the best of me. B complex and b6 helped sightly. I consider it the biggest mistake of my life, I quit taking it and haven't been the same. I was on the generic. I would say brand name only for keppra. I guess its worth mentioning, none of these things are normal for me. Not one. I stopped keppra and all of them went away after about two weeks to a month, except the increase in seizures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom