New to Keppra. Give me the low-down please!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am currently almost fully weaned off of Keppra after 6 months on it.
I found that it caused me to experience insomnia and new and different seizures.
I cannot say it was a bad experience although it may have worsened my seizures by increasing the quantity of the seizures and strength but it is so hard to pinpoint the "why" when it comes to seizures for there seems to be many factors involved.
I do know that every time I had to decrease my dose my body did not like it.
There was always lethargy and increased seizures for 2 days or so after each decrease.
My mood has improved...my depression has decreased.

I did not experience the "rage" but it did cause moodiness.

It does work wonders for some though.

hey riffraffmama. i take fluoxetine 60mg a day and was on 1500mg keppra a day now coming off it partly due to a severe depression episode. but to ease your mind 500 a day should be okay, anyone i know on 1000mg or under doesnt seem to have any problems on it and my neuro nurse tells me once you go over 1000mg a day it can have mood effects but a good tip is to take vitamin b6, its negates some of the side effects,i started taking it about amonth ago and it did help, i still take now though im coming off keppra, down to 500 a day on monday, i cannot wait. but do see how it suits you. good luck with it

started me on Keppra, last night was my 1st dose of 500 mg....and it knocked me for a loop!!.....had me VERY drowsy, and kinda goofy...
I'm so glad it wasn't just me it made loopy! I had the giggles and stuff like I'd had a few drinks!

I was on Keppra 3000mg for about 5 months together with Lamictal. It didn't do anything for me. No seizure control or side effects but I was 13 or 14 at the time. So my neuro took me off of Keppra. My doc gave it to me saying it's a new medication that has very few side effects. The only side effect she mentioned was anger problems; but I didn't have the side effect. I remember my dad calculating the price of one tablet and coming up with $30 just for one tablet! I don't think generic was available at the time.

I'm so glad it wasn't just me it made loopy! I had the giggles and stuff like I'd had a few drinks!
lol.....s'what I was tellin my mom who has been a nurse for close to 40 years now....felt like I had a couple of Daquiri's....lol---she assured me along with my doc that it will eventually level off......day 2----so far so good...not as bad today I thought.....and no weird side affects---YET....lol........will post if I do...hang in there!!....it gets better!

I have been on keppra xr 20oomg a day (1000 in AM and 1000 in pm). I have not experienced any of the "Keprage" that people have spoken about. However, when I first started taking it, I did notice that my short-term memory was a bit to be desired. It was almost like my mind was cloudly, if you will. I did have a lack of interest to do more than what was expected of me. For the most pat though, it was the first medication I tried and it kept me seizure free until 18 months later when I started not to be so compliant with my doses and also drank a glass of wine (My neuro believes that my seizures are connected to randomly alcohol use). I am not a drinker, maybe glass of wine couple times per year. Both times I have had seizures were when I drank some form of alcohol even though it was only a glass. However since August of 2010 I have not had any seizures. I work in the behavioral health field and spoke to a psychiatrist today about seizure medications and mood stabilizers, Keppra specifically. He did tell me that if Keppra works good for you and you do not have adverse side effects, it is one of the best medications for seizures. I never knew about the "keprage" until today when I was looking up long-term effects of keppra. In my experience, it has been a god-sent.

day 4 of keppra....going great.....no drowsiness....no moodiness.......doing pretty good!!!!

My mom has been on Keppra for a couple of months now.

I am not sure why, but she had been off seizure meds for some years. I think because she went through menopause and her neurologist decided she didn't need it.

Anyway, she started having auras around the beginning of July and went to see her general practitioner. She lives in another state now, so different docs. The doc prescribed Keppra and said it is her favorite drug for seizures.

So far my mom has only had sleepy side effects. She seems calmer than before she went on it. She is on an Antidepressent too.

Ive been on Keprra now about 5 years. I take the Brand cause my dr told me to he does not like the generic Keppra. At first at was very hard going off the Carbatrol (tegretol) and being on Keppra. I too started on 500 mg and now I am on 1500mg of Keppra. I take it for simple partial sleep seizures.

I also take 50 mg (small dose) of Zoloft I think it helps to take the edge off a little of the Keppra. I also take B6, Coenzyme q10, Magensium and Calcium.

It took me a month to get used to the Keppra. You need to give your body time. It did stop the seizures for me it was just that it made me a moody. But the 50 mg of Zoloft really helped.:e:

I am now on 2500mg of Keppra (the generic version) a day. When i first started the Keppra it was 1000mg and i was VERY tired for the first week or so on it. Then I had another seizure (possibly from body getting used to seizure, possibly from eye strain since my job is extremely visually/eye oriented). I upped to 2000 then to 2500. been on it for 3 or 4 months and so far so good. I also take 20mg of fluoxetine for anxiety issues

It took me a month to get used tom the Keppra. I was tired and getting migraines and I was very nervous. But once it kicked in along with the Zoloft 50 mg and the Calcium and Magnesium and B6 I am much better except for the sleeping issues.

Back
Top Bottom