New Medicine.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hawke86

New
Reaction score
This new medicine I take for my asthma makes me constantly tired. I wonder how much longer will it make be tired. I'm having to drink coffee so I can stay awake. Has any of you taken medicine like this before? It does help my asthma but it makes me constantly tired. Other then that my seizures are about the same. I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Although I wouldn't discourage the Singulair if it's really helping your breathing. I knew of one situation where air conditioning was stopped and air flow practically stopped. People in the poor air circulation were sleepy due to lack of oxygen. Those with asthma noticed it first.

Do you have a good air filter? I run one all the time.

Hawke,

I don't know much about asthma meds., but I do know a lot about tiredness caused by medication. I hope it eases up for you. Could this possibly be a temporary side-effect...like the adjustment period with most epilepsy meds?
Sorry I can't be much help. But I'm hoping things get easier for you soon.

Take care. -Julie

Hmmmm....being sleepy is usually a sign of lack of oxygen....might want to have the doc check......

Definitely follow up with your doc if this becomes too bad.
I have been on Singulair with no problems. It really helped me through the allergy seasons. It generally helps with the upper airways and not the lungs (at least that is how it worked for me). So I doubt that it is interfering with Oxygen.

hi singulair is montelukast , a leukotriene inhibitor. It acts well in pts with long standing asthma. When you get an attack , the mast cells in your lungs release substances called leukotrienes which cause your airways to constrict. singulair will prevent these substances from working. However it is not of use in acute attacks so don't throw away your inhaler. The side effects you described are common with montelukast (Unusual weakness, dizziness, cough, headache, nausea, vomiting, trouble sleeping, or mouth pain...). If you feel the relief from asthma is not worth taking this drug , then talk to your doctor for alternatives.

sleepy

Although I wouldn't discourage the Singulair if it's really helping your breathing. I knew of one situation where air conditioning was stopped and air flow practically stopped. People in the poor air circulation were sleepy due to lack of oxygen. Those with asthma noticed it first.

Do you have a good air filter? I run one all the time.

We went thru our annual October cold spell, so I shut off my A/C. I get very sleepy. I did have the windows open for a while, but I still got sleepy. Do ceiling fans help, cuz I still took monster naps.

I get to talk

to my pulminologist soon. I'll see what he has to say.

Back
Top Bottom