New on Tegretol worried E may progress

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vapour

New
Reaction score
its though my TLE could have started years ago...but thats another matter.

I did so well on lamictal but cannot afford to be on it, having stopped it twice since July has caused some real messes that as written in a previous post contributed to me ending up in the psych ward.

I have been started on tegretol about a week ago and Im on 600mg a day. I have been on klonopin (0.5 in the morning and 0.5 at night) the past few days, and been having seizures...becuase its hard for me to pick up my prescription sometimes (i will have it this afternoon but my neuro eventually wants me off it anyway)

So .. anyway.. Ive been having new symptoms.

Before having seizures the past 2 days Ive been aware of my behaviour and thought patterns since the psych told me the weird thoughts and behaviour are part of the TLE...so... here is what Ive noticed before a seizure lately.

I get freaked out and I start having thoughts that all people are statues because I cannot read their faces..and I get it repeating in my head and then i say it out-loud... :your all just statues (yes crazy and embarassing)
Then I will stretch out my arm and start moving my fingers kinda closing them in and out of my palm over and over nad over and over.

Because its been hard to control my seizures lately and Im noticing new symptoms crop up and worser auras I am scared of this "kindling" and scared Im going to have a big seizure (not happened yet..since I was a child)

It may just be panic mode when Im in an aura but there have been a couple of times where it feels like the inside of me is convulsing and that its going to start happening outside of me . .as in .. my actual body. Maybe Im just panicing and its just anxiety... but ... I have to pay attention to the auaras .. right ? WHenever i start nausea I come away from what im doing.. if I feel tingling.. I stop what im doing... if I begin to notice these strange thought patterns.. I stop what im doing and go to a quiet place with no stimulation..

Just scared I see neuro soon and will be going to a higher dose of tegretol hopefully that will be successful and get me off the klonopin and stop these things.

THe most annoying thing actually .. and I dont know if this is just seizure activity, aura.. or actual seizures .. are my thumbs twitching. Ill be laid down trying to rest cause I feel seizures coming on .. or in one.. and thumbs twitching sometimes keep me from sleeping...it makes me want to get up and not rest and keep my hands occupied..

and yeah .. the thumbs twitvhing thing... concerning.. because usually it only affects my right side.. but now ... ive been having twitches and jerks on the left as well.... (so freaking scared about that)

I think your body is trying to adjust to the meds -- how long before you're up to the full dose of Tegretol?

It doesn't sound like a very good match to me.
I am glad that you are seeing a neuro soon

My wife had quite a bit of twitching and muscle jerks when she was on Depakote. They started the first night she went up in dose as she was laying down for bed. They continued the entire 6 months that she on Depakote and even happened during the day at times near the end.

Since she's been off Depakote, I've noticed they have drastically decreased. So yes, it could certainly be a side effect.

On a lighter note, I was typing of "bit of twitching" up there and my mind got a little ahead of my fingers. Some how it combined the bit and twitching and I initially typed bitching. I quickly went back and changed it. Thought that was rather humorous.

Back
Top Bottom