No zzzzz's

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I tend to forget safety is an issue for most. I haven't had the luxury for many, many years, so I just have to go with what I have and try to forget what I 'should' have. I'd certainly never have the risk of burns. I keep my geyser setting quite cool. I take shallow baths. I couldn't use a helmet because I need to wash my hair. Getting in and out of the bath is always a worry, though. I'm very lucky I've never had a tonic clonic in the bathroom.

All great ideas! Well, last night I slept through for the first time in I don't know how long but I think it was due to pure exhaustion. Nevertheless, I was soooo grateful! This morning I took half my regular dose of my anti-depressant per doctor's orders. She said this might help me sleep. Will keep you all posted. Fingers crossed....

Just stopped in reading about all this, with the Zonisemide (generic Zonegran), I had a really rough time sleeping, so my physician prescribed Cymbalta 60 mg which has been able to help me sleep at night. Some nights tho, I do tend to stay up all night, without any reason why?
I'm curious as to why I do this? Would appreciate any advice.
Terri

I have been on Cymbalta for years. It never helped me sleep even in the beginning when I was only on 60mgs. I have been on 120mgs now for a few years. Its a great antidepressant! Most AD's don't help with sleep though. If its a GP who RXed them to you then I would question him/her RXing any psych meds. I know some do but its just not their expertise. I would only get them from a psychiatrist. :)

Hi Penny, yes it was my general practitioner who prescribed it. It has done ok so far, I mean I was on Trazadone for close to a year then my body just quit liking it. I was on it to help with the side effect of the Zonisemide. It seems to me that there always some sort of side effects with any of these Epilepsy meds doesn't it? Can't win for losing I suppose!

As an anti depressant my psych and nuero said Cymbalta was good as far as not causing problems with epilepsy. A lot do. I was on trazadone for sleep for a couple years and my body kept getting used to the dose I was on. I went from 200mgs starting dose up to 600mgs for quite a while before I quit. That is not a fun med to weine off of either.
You are right as far as always side effects. You have to take time to get used to them (usually around 4-6 weeks) or just keep pushing thru. I'm glad you are doing well on the Cymbalta. Hope it stays that way for you! Its one of the better AD's I've been on. Fewer side effects than several (at least that I remember). :)

Hi, Penny. I'm not on Cymbalta but my doctor has been trying me on different meds. She recently put me on an anti-depressant which she said should help me sleep through the night. It's Doxepin which is an older drug but was contraindicated for me. It kept me up all night. Normally, I would have been depressed and a nervous wreck the next morning but I was remarkably calm and for the first time in I don't know when without depression. Now, I will be taking it in the morning. I took it this morning. Feel good but for some reason not as great as yesterday morning. So nothing new for sleep last night however I took my daytime Clonopin with my Lamictal and Restoril. Woke up only three times and can live with this for now. The thing is that my Dr. is so damn conservative I really can't on her to give me what other doctor's will dispense. And dosages of what she has given me are very low. Because I have Bi-Polar disorder I can understand her keeping dosages low when it comes to anti-depressants for fear that I would go into mania. She's new to me so I really have to develop more of a relationship with her so she can get to know me. I'm hoping to see her weekly for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom