Nocturnal to daytime TC seizures???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seetseet

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am hunting for some info/stories regarding turning from nocturnal TC seizures to now getting daytime ones please!!!!
I got my first TC seizure 6 years ago, one night approx 2 weeks after having my first child. I am assuming lack of sleep and a lot of work and stress brought it on. I had my second 6 months after that, after another stressful day (thats when i started taking my keppra. To cut a long story short I have had 2 seizures approx every 2 years (ALWAYS close to my wake-up time). And my neuro just ups my keppra amount.
I know stress and lack of sleep brings them on, and i have had a fair but thos last 6 months which is fair enough, because I have had at 4-6 since February.
But last week Tuesday night at 730pm a good 3 hours before my sleep time, with no warning at all I had a TC, i smashed my face (hehe pretty lucky and funny actually because my glasses broke and i split my eyebrow, black eye and all, Sita looked like a pub-brawler still does 😂) and then i had another about an hour and a half later in the car.

Has anyone heard of nocturnal epilepsy turning to daytime?
Will they JUST be daytime now?

Thanks ahead of time for any info at all!

Generally speaking, if a person has seizures only during sleep for several years, the chances of the seizures happening while awake is relatively low. However this doesn't mean daytime seizures won’t occur. In situations of extreme stress or sleep deprivation, medication changes or withdrawal, the risk of a seizure is increased, day OR night. Daytime seizures can also occur if someone with nocturnal epilepsy decides to take a nap, or even becomes excessively drowsy during the day.

I checked in the archives, and it looks like you were worried about this possibility a few years ago:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/nocturnal-changing-daytime-seizures-26161/

This is a bit opposite of you. My very first seizure was 14 years ago and I had it while I was asleep. I had to go to the hospital for about a month before I was able to go home, long story about that.

At first, as far as I know, I was only had seizures while I awake. My husband and I sleep in separate bedrooms though so I might have been having them in my sleep too and didn't know it.

A few years ago I know I started having them while I was asleep too. I'd get in bed at night then wake up on the couch in the living room in the morning and I know it was because I'd had a seizure while I was asleep. I usually take a nap in the afternoon and my husband would look over and see me having a seizure while I was asleep. There were even times when I was taking that nap I'd wake up in bed with the clothes on that I'd worn during the day.

Generally speaking, if a person has seizures only during sleep for several years, the chances of the seizures happening while awake is relatively low. However this doesn't mean daytime seizures won’t occur. In situations of extreme stress or sleep deprivation, medication changes or withdrawal, the risk of a seizure is increased, day OR night. Daytime seizures can also occur if someone with nocturnal epilepsy decides to take a nap, or even becomes excessively drowsy during the day.

I checked in the archives, and it looks like you were worried about this possibility a few years ago:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/nocturnal-changing-daytime-seizures-26161/
Thanks so much for reminding me and sharing the link to that post, I totally forgot about it, and i reread all the post there and a lot of them were very helpful. Hehe this epilepsy feels like a whole other bag of beans at the moment, pretty damn scary to be honest. Ahhhh well at least life is interesting right?

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk

This is a bit opposite of you. My very first seizure was 14 years ago and I had it while I was asleep. I had to go to the hospital for about a month before I was able to go home, long story about that.

At first, as far as I know, I was only had seizures while I awake. My husband and I sleep in separate bedrooms though so I might have been having them in my sleep too and didn't know it.

A few years ago I know I started having them while I was asleep too. I'd get in bed at night then wake up on the couch in the living room in the morning and I know it was because I'd had a seizure while I was asleep. I usually take a nap in the afternoon and my husband would look over and see me having a seizure while I was asleep. There were even times when I was taking that nap I'd wake up in bed with the clothes on that I'd worn during the day.
Hi Valeriedl, first off thanks for your reply. May I ask how come you had to stay in hospital for a month? What country are you in? I only stayed in hospital twice both for one night (well in theory a night and a half because they both happened towards the morning, so first time I they let me stay a plus night, second time again it happened in the early hours and they let me home that afternoon). They happened in Australia, and all the actual tests that followed happened during the day, and only took about 2 hours in total (which now looking back is weird, seeming as though they were talking about a possibility of sleep apnea) so no night time/sleep tests. What kind of tests did you have done? How long did they take to decide what kind of meds you need to be on?
Because I dont know how it will work here. Back in Australia, if I had a seizure, it was literally just call or see my neuro, no tests nothing and he'd just up my meds... is that the same there?

Hi Valeriedl, first off thanks for your reply. May I ask how come you had to stay in hospital for a month? What country are you in? I only stayed in hospital twice both for one night (well in theory a night and a half because they both happened towards the morning, so first time I they let me stay a plus night, second time again it happened in the early hours and they let me home that afternoon). They happened in Australia, and all the actual tests that followed happened during the day, and only took about 2 hours in total (which now looking back is weird, seeming as though they were talking about a possibility of sleep apnea) so no night time/sleep tests. What kind of tests did you have done? How long did they take to decide what kind of meds you need to be on?
Because I dont know how it will work here. Back in Australia, if I had a seizure, it was literally just call or see my neuro, no tests nothing and he'd just up my meds... is that the same there?

The first seizure I had was in 2003 and it wouldn't stop so I had to be put into a coma for about two weeks to calm my brain down (if that's the right way to describe it) enough before they were able to bring me out of it. I was still having seizures left and right and it took about two more weeks before they could find the right meds/dosages to take so I wouldn't be having them so often and was able to be released. I probably had almost every test out there but my memory pretty bad and I don't remember what they were.

I was still having seizures every few days though and they were pretty bad. I tried a lot of different meds/dosages but they either didn't help much or the side effects were so bad that I had to change them. It took about four years before they'd found meds that were working good and I wasn't having them as often, maybe twice a week, but they were very bad. My neuro suggested getting a VNS, vagus nerve simulator, to see if it would help so I did. It took a few years of playing around with the settings on that and figure out what meds/dosages to take before I was only having on average five a month, which is what I still have, and they aren't nearly as bad.

I see my neuro every four months but they told me that if anything changed, having more seizures or things that could possibly due to side effects of the meds for example, to call and let them know. Depending on how bad the things that were happening are my neuro will either call or see me to find out something that could be done help like change a med, dosage or change the settings on my VSN. I'm not sure if I'd had any tests during this time, like I said my memory's not that great, but I probably did.

I live in the US.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am hunting for some info/stories regarding turning from nocturnal TC seizures to now getting daytime ones please!!!!
I got my first TC seizure 6 years ago, one night approx 2 weeks after having my first child. I am assuming lack of sleep and a lot of work and stress brought it on. I had my second 6 months after that, after another stressful day (thats when i started taking my keppra. To cut a long story short I have had 2 seizures approx every 2 years (ALWAYS close to my wake-up time). And my neuro just ups my keppra amount.
I know stress and lack of sleep brings them on, and i have had a fair but thos last 6 months which is fair enough, because I have had at 4-6 since February.
But last week Tuesday night at 730pm a good 3 hours before my sleep time, with no warning at all I had a TC, i smashed my face (hehe pretty lucky and funny actually because my glasses broke and i split my eyebrow, black eye and all, Sita looked like a pub-brawler still does 😂) and then i had another about an hour and a half later in the car.

Has anyone heard of nocturnal epilepsy turning to daytime?
Will they JUST be daytime now?

Thanks ahead of time for any info at all!
I had nocturnal seizures from 1985 to 2006. Then they started being daytime. Now I only have them in the daytime and not at night. I glad I found this forum. I thought I was the only one that it happened to.

Hi KW -- welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home. :)

Hello, KW. Welcome to the group.
Seizure times/types can often change. I've had simple partials since childhood, & suddenly had 3 or 4 tonic-clonics in 1987. Then, I began having complex partials about a year after my older son's birth--in 2000. I often complained of "weird feelings in my head" when I was little, but until they caught one on an EEG in 1987, they didn't recognize them as seizures. I know that stress & tension were always a major factor in my simple partials. The complex partials, though, seem to occur without any provocation. I've tried all the AEDs out there, and for me, it's as if one will work for about 8-10 months, then my brain becomes "immune" to it, & the breakthrough seizures start again. I'm currently on 500MG Zonisamide & 200MG Xcopri, but still getting breakthroughs once in a while.

Hi
Yes my seizures were mostly nocturnal for many years. The daytime seizures started last year. I am finally recognizing an Aura. It helps but I’ve still fallen more than once.
Take care ✌️

Hello all. I've not been on here for some time. I love CWE. AND THE CONNECTIONS WE MAKE. I always learn so much on here.
I started having occasional nighttime seizures in the early 2000s. They turned into strong, daytime TCs around 2010. I continued to have both partials and TCs off/on in the day.
I thought I found the solution with a mix of. Depakote, vimpat, lamotragine and various cholesterol and blood pressure pills ( which seem to play a role. )
I now have breakthroughs. I went 6 months and thought I was better. Then three TCs on Friday was a wake-up call. It may be too soon but I felt that my life is too short to stay home.
But, I live near Seattle and flying home means flying to Maine. A big 3 hour time change. ( Often a trigger I think. )
The stress of seeing my mother and brother may be a huge trigger for me. I feel so guilty that I'm staying at my dad's (they live about 40 minutes apart) . Needless to say, I don't drive at all. But they will commute. And I don't know how to say, " look , seeing you is a major major stress on me and I'm not taking any chances, I'm a long way from home. " I feel like I have to say " I'm sorry that I have epilepsy. I have a TBI and acquired epilepsy from the injury. "
How can I feel so guilty about saying this to my brother and mother. ?? Regardless, I feel that FIRST I have me and monitoring my triggers. I'm 53 and I'm afraid to see my mother. It's for my health, this is medical.

Back
Top Bottom