nocturnal seizures, neurofeedback, seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Im not a sleep when it feels like im falling.... its happend when i just go to bed its nothing like dreaming...

love angel

on the other hand the feeling of dying and suffocation happens while im sleeping and not being able to wake move....

love angel

Suffocation

To dream that you feel suffocated, signifies that you are feeling smothered by some situation or relationship. It also forewarns that your current love relationship will end in an extremely bitter break up. :eek::giveup:

I have noticed in the past two weeks my hands are sweating... chest pain muscle cramps in my leg waking me up in the morning... my seizure's might be higher because of infection bladder... i feel like i have another uti.... coffee i need to quit im working on that one... Ive had problems with panic anxiety attacks in the past. I cant do the breathing or mediation in my sleep its when I'm half asleep or half awake... does seem to only happen when I'm stressed out.... its not sleep apnea... or Narcolepsy .... ill try changing my diet and see what happens... I have had problems with slightly low potassium levels.....

Stop drinking caffeine, it's very hard on the bladder and kidneys especially with a UTI, it just irratates it more.
To help with the leg cramps at night, eat 4-6 TUMS with calcium. The calcium stops leg cramps.
Maybe speak to your doctor about these feelings? It sounds very much stress related.

Im not a sleep when it feels like im falling.... its happend when i just go to bed its nothing like dreaming...

love angel

I can't remember whether MINE used to happen during sleep or not. I DO remember that at first I didn't like them, but when I got used to them I quite liked the feeling of "free-falling" (so to speak)

Stop drinking caffeine, it's very hard on the bladder and kidneys especially with a UTI, it just irratates it more.
To help with the leg cramps at night, eat 4-6 TUMS with calcium. The calcium stops leg cramps.
Maybe speak to your doctor about these feelings? It sounds very much stress related.

he already knows about my stresses I pretty much tell him everything...OR he just figures it out all by himself lol but this new stuff with the sleep thing im going to be telling him about because its bothering me... "just a little" I was told to drink lots of orange juice and bananas calsium tabs are not that good for my kidneys(VUR)...kidney stones and bladder stones...

love angel

Ive gone from 1 pot a day (and two mocha frappes a day) to only three cups and no frappes... still trying to get to one cup then ill try decaf.....

today ive had two cups.... lots of water

Caffeine depletes your body of magnesium, and I just read that magnesium helps with the leg cramps. My mom use to give my grandmother calcium when actually it might have been better to give her magnesium. I think it is that you need the magnesium so that the calcium will be absorbed better. Since calcium tends to remain in our body and magnesium is eliminated, it seems more logical that we are deficient of magnesium. I do believe they are both needed, and yet I do believe I read that it is best to take them at separate times.
You might check the links we have going on magnesium.

Last edited:
Caffeine depletes your body of magnesium, and I just read that magnesium helps with the leg cramps. My mom use to give my grandmother calcium when actually it might have been better to give her magnesium. I think it is that you need the magnesium so that the calcium will be absorbed better. Since calcium tends to remain in our body and magnesium is eliminated, it seems more logical that we are deficient of magnesium. I do believe they are both needed, and yet I do believe I read that it is best to take them at separate times.
You might check the links we have going on magnesium.

I will thanks Robin,

tonight im having a stone moving .... all i can say is it hasnt passed ( thank god for pain killers...) i was kinda worried about magnesium supplements possibility causing stones ..... thats why i want to talk to the urologist first... i agree though that i may need to take it id rather take the ionic kind you talk about... sounds like it would be better for me to take in that form...

good night guys & girls...

ps brain hope all went well today?

love angel

I will thanks Robin,

tonight im having a stone moving .... all i can say is it hasnt passed ( thank god for pain killers...) i was kinda worried about magnesium supplements possibility causing stones ..... thats why i want to talk to the urologist first... i agree though that i may need to take it id rather take the ionic kind you talk about... sounds like it would be better for me to take in that form...

good night guys & girls...

ps brain hope all went well today?

love angel

Hi Angel,
I hope you passed the stone without too much pain. I had one once-ouch!!! Anyway, caffeine can do things that can lower your seizure threshold in several ways; upsetting your electrolyte balance, depleting you of minerals, increasing your heart rate and respiration, disturbing your sleep patterns, just for starters. So why drink something that can ensure that you have uncontrollable seizures?
And giving up caffeine was really difficult for me but did help in bringing my seizures under control. It's tough kiddo, but it can be done. These articles may interest you. If you decide to go off caffeine, do so very slowly, to minimize withdrawals, which include headaches.

The hidden dangers of caffeine: How coffee causes exhaustion ...Insulin is then released, and blood sugar drops below normal—a common seizure trigger for people with epilepsy. Caffeine can also constrict blood vessels in ...
http://www.newstarget.com/012352.html

epilepsymatters.com - Home of the Canadian Epilepsy AllianceNevertheless, blood sugar level should be steady and moderate for people with epilepsy. Sweets, caffeine and alcohol all cause blood sugar levels to ...
http://www.epilepsymatters.com/english/lwenutrition.html

i'm almost quit .... ive had half cup of coffee today with about a gallon of water .... at this point i have to take macrodantin for 10 days just went through 12 days of cipro.. didnt help much i guess...
after the 10 days of macrodantin just started it yesterday... i have to go back on macrobid for a long while..... so coffee which is my chocolat is nolonger going to be part of my life .... ive gone 4 years or so with out Cystitis or pyelonephritis.....

I really am consurned about the e meds messing with my kidneys and bladder...

tomorrow no coffee for me...right now coffee is like drinking acid to me... i have pain meds anyways so if i get a headach ill just go to bed or take a pill.....

Hang in there Angel
Can you treat yourself to fresh squeezed OJ? Perhaps that is too high in sugar... not sure what diet you are following.

Hang in there Angel
Can you treat yourself to fresh squeezed OJ? Perhaps that is too high in sugar... not sure what diet you are following.

yeah, i have to watch the sugar right now too ... not really following diet... well, i kinda am just eating some veggies and organic veggie broth.... mostly cant seem to stomach to much right now... Ive been having dreams of German chocolate cake with cream filling tho......

i think oj with no sugar ill try that sounds good... cranberry juice no sugar added i know i can have that.... solid foods tho dont really sound good right now...
yes, im hanging in there trying too... it makes me mad when i have to deal with my kidneys... but may be thats what keeps me going ;)

Hi Angel,
Check out the link below. Cranberry juice and extract is what I used that helped get my chronic UTIs to go away. I just get the supplements and take them daily now. The sugar free cranberry juice is best for your urninary tract I believe. Hope you mend quick!

Cranberry Juice Will Prevent or Help Treat Cystitis - Cranberry ...A. Drinking cranberry juice is a useful home remedy for preventing bladder infections, also known as urinary tract infections or cystitis, in women. ...
http://www.nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/f/cranberryjuice.htm

Hi Angel,
Check out the link below. Cranberry juice and extract is what I used that helped get my chronic UTIs to go away. I just get the supplements and take them daily now. The sugar free cranberry juice is best for your urninary tract I believe. Hope you mend quick!

Cranberry Juice Will Prevent or Help Treat Cystitis - Cranberry ...A. Drinking cranberry juice is a useful home remedy for preventing bladder infections, also known as urinary tract infections or cystitis, in women. ...
http://www.nutrition.about.com/od/dietsformedicaldisorders/f/cranberryjuice.htm

thats a good idea, I've seen the cranberry pills at bi mart I think ill pick some up.... id rather take cranberry pills... the drink is very sour blah....the stone thats in my bladder is what the doctor says is causing cystitis... but the doctor wrote me a note for who ever and told me to call him when i can get some help with medical ins.... he wants to do a cystoscopy but wont until i have money...... may be i should change urologist...

You could mix the juice with OJ. Then you would know the ingredients are going where they are intended. What about fresh cranberry for the upcoming Turkey Day? Try some different recipes. You might find one that you like.

Sorry to hear about the insurance issues. That can be a real pain.
Perhaps do a search, their might be a way to dissolve the problem without surgery.

Perhaps do a search, their might be a way to dissolve the problem without surgery.

That may be right on Robin, as the cysts come with the infection. Taking care of one may allow the other to heal as well. Angel, maybe try a search on cystitis and cranberry extract and see if it turns up anything useful. Are you feeling any better?

yesterday I mixed organic oj with cranberry juice... its pretty good actually... was able to drink about two 6 oz glasses...(I also ate some chicken breast which didnt upset my stomach)

I'm not sure but ive been doing searchs this morning and found stones that cause infection as these are called Struvite stones.... which is what i think the stones are... #1 I found out in the er when i first went about month ago that ive had the two one in my kidney and other in my bladder for over a year(in and out of er a few times from infections uti's)... well, infections started about year ago getting worse... seizures started more often year 1/2 ago.... I dont know about you guys but im kinda seeing a connection between seizures and kidneys......

the stones if they are the ones im thinking they are im not sure if i can buy the disolving stuff i wonder about lemon aid ...

anyways, zoe im up and down... trying to stay up in the morning i feel better than the afternoon and eve.... i havent had a fever though which is good... just some pressure and a little pain sleep or need to lay down....thank you both for helping...

some info on why i think the stones are Struvite stones: this viri they said was the biggie in my urin...(Klebsiella)

http://kidneydiseases.about.com/od/stonetypes/a/Overview0012.htm

Knowing the Causes
Struvite stones are made up of magnesium ammonium phosphate (struvite) and calcium carbonate apatite. They occur when urinary tract infections (UTI’s) cause enough ammonia (a key part of struvite) to be made in the urine. Bacteria that are capable of doing this are Proteus and Klebsiella, both of which are common causes of UTI’s. Struvite stones also need the urine pH to be elevated in order to help their growth.

Understanding the Risk Factors
Any condition that predisposed to chronic urinary tract infections with bacteria capable of making ammonia will be a risk factor for struvite stones. An important cause is a bladder cannot empty completely so urine stagnants and bacteria grow. This is called a neurogenic bladder and can occur with diabetes, strokes and paraplegia.

I have read many places where the liver is extremely important to neurological health. Here is one example:
http://www.holistichealth.com/Publications/EFE50725-9744-4927-ABCE-CA2C5C540020.html
But IMO if you are seeing a connection than you are probably right. Even if it is just the stress of it all, that you are feeling unhealthy, and this is the one way your body knows to deal with that.
Hang in their Angel...don't forget your water too.

A year ago, I would have read these statistics and thought to myself, not me…I eat well and I exercise…only people who don’t take care of themselves will end up as one of these statistics. I would have been wrong and I would have been in very good company. Many well intentioned people who believe they are taking care of their bodies may be surprised to find how many seemingly good intentions impede their progress. To begin, one needs to stay hydrated by drinking purified water, not tap water or beverages which act as diuretics.

“Every cell that makes us who we are literally owes its life to an adequate supply of fresh, clean water. When the body does not receive a constant, reliable supply of water, it has to ration what is available and cut back on certain functions to make the supply go round.”(3) Despite the importance of staying hydrated, too many people, including myself, do not drink enough water.

“The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3.0 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.” (4)
http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers/feature_detail.asp?num=25823

I found this to be a good article, and a great reminder why I need to drink more water.

Regardless of the cause, lack of sleep can grind away at your overall mental and physical health. Insomnia compromises the immune system, making you more susceptible to disease. It also clouds the mind and affects emotional health.
http://www.wilddivine.com/blog/read/is-life-too-interesting-or-too-stressful-to-sleep

CARL BAZIL, MD, PhD: Sleep-related epilepsy actually has a better prognosis than epilepsy in general. Most people with sleep-related epilepsy can become completely controlled. So if they're still having seizures on medication, reevaluation may be warranted to find out if they need additional medication, if they have a sleep disorder that's making their seizure worse. If those are found, then they have a very good chance of having complete control of their epilepsy.
http://www.healthline.com/hgy-transcripts/epilepsy-and-sleep/2

It makes me very guarded when I see drug ads on med-sites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom