non materialistic neuro-science?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
I belong to a writer's site and one of the threads was "What is Intellegence". I usually never venture there in the Debate Room because they're usually a bunch of egotisical psuedo-intellectuals there trying to out do each other to the point where the thread becomes ridiculous. But the topic was irrasistable, so I bring up intellegence in the context of the neurological. One fellow mentioned "non-materialistic neuro-science". Finally, I thought. I can have a real discussion. So, I look it up and it apparently has to do with religion figuring in with neurology. I think "Whackdo". I'm not having this discussion! Apparently, it's the "new thing".
Has anyone heard of it and can explain what this is all about? It makes absolutley no sense to me. Religion is a belief. Neurology is a science. How can the two possilby connect in expaining intellegence?

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, non-materialist neuroscience is a bit like "intelligent design" or creationism. It's presents as a faith-based attack on science, and its basic approach is to say that anything that neuroscience can't (yet) explain, must be have a religious/spiritual explanation.

If you haven't read "The Battle Over the Meaning of Everything", it could shed some light on the subject. It won't help you understand non-materialist neuroscience, but it will help you understand why it exists. The book talks about the "intelligent design" movement and really reveals the agenda of the anti-science crowd and the dubious tactics employed.

Thanks, Nak.
Nakamova said:
It's presents as a faith-based attack on science, and its basic approach is to say that anything that neuroscience can't (yet) explain, must be have a religious/spiritual explanation.
I'll have to look more into it. All in all I find the idea hoaky, though.

I watched a Nova program not long ago about intelligent design. I think this thread has a potential for going intothe realm of religion,which is not allowed here. Sorry Cinnabar.

Oh no, I don't want to go there at all. I was just looking for varied definitions. Someone in my Writing Forum brought it up. I looked into and didn't buy much of it. Especially, the religious aspect.

Thanks, Cindy. I'm going to read the article and get back here with some feedback. It is a "very" interesting topic. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom