Is this normal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chy Girl

New
Reaction score
Last week I had more than 40 absence seizures in about 2 hours, plus thw more I have the longer they get! Is that normal with absence seizures!?

I have similar things happen. I usually get no more than 1 seizure a day. If I get 2 they aren't necessarily longer. What does happen usually no more than once aor twice a year (though it seems to happen more as I get older) is I'll have a seizure that isn't very intense but long. then another & another. This will happen for about 2-3 hours similar to what you described.

Once it's over I won't have that happen for at least a few months.

Perhaps look into Kindling. I don't know much of the technical stuff, but I do understand the concept.

Basically once your brain learns to seize, it can get into the habit of doing so more regularly. Usually this happens when you have uncontrolled seizures over a period of time. Are you doing anything to increase your threshold such as meds or diet? If not, if you get better control, you might see things improve as your brain "unlearns" to seize.

I have similar things happen. I usually get no more than 1 seizure a day. If I get 2 they aren't necessarily longer. What does happen usually no more than once aor twice a year (though it seems to happen more as I get older) is I'll have a seizure that isn't very intense but long. then another & another. This will happen for about 2-3 hours similar to what you described.

Once it's over I won't have that happen for at least a few months.
Yeah it goes away for a bit then comes back!

Kindling definitely does play a part in seizure disorders. It is the theory that the more you have the more the brain learns to release itself through seizures. It is an instable brain gone haywire.

Nothing is "normal" about this disorder.

When we tried four different meds with my daughter they all made it worse. They also added side effects that were not acceptable at all. It wasn't until we had been working with nutritional changes and neurofeedback that we began to see a positive change in the direction of her seizures. It wasn't a quick fix, but it has been a much healthier route to take. Over time her seizures have become further and further apart. As she also has come to realize how important nutrition is, she is becoming more cooperative with it.

I have posted a lot of information all over this forum. If you are interested in this route you might take a look at it, and discuss it with your parents. Most conventional doctors don't have much training in it. So you have to be proactive in your care. Keeping a journal to note triggers is also a good idea. Then you can take this information to your doctor and show them how it is changing the neurological behaviors.

Hi Robin,
I'm Chy's aunt JoAnn (she calls me Jr) Is there a way to stop kindling?

I believe Rebecca's was stopped by Neurofeedback therapy.

Neurofeedback

Her NFB therapist suggested that nutrition was also extremely important for brain health. At the time Rebecca began NFB therapy, I had already weaned her of AED medication and had started an elimination diet. Others I know are able to slowly wean meds during the therapy.

Rebecca's threshold is still lower during her cycle. It is something that you need to journal about. Since Cye began having seizures at 11, there is a good possibility that her hormones are creating an imbalance in her system.

Is there any chance your cycling? Some women and men have more seizures at certain times of the month when hormones fluctuate...and yes, men have hormone fluctuations too.

Back
Top Bottom