Normal or Not??? - Night times

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Deb12345

New
Reaction score
Hello all, :hello:
I have noticed for a couple of nights when I just get into bed that when I close my eyes for just a few seconds an image appears within seconds of closing my eyes in my own mind (my mind is probably active at the time and not very tired) i.e. one night I felt as though I was on a bumpy bus ride which sent shivers up my spine and made me open my eyes up very quickly. Another night I felt as though I was being tipped upside down on an empty but huge rowing boat which was high up in the sky which sent shivers up my back and made me shake. I immediately opened my eyes feeling very frightened and had a slight headache, and last night I saw an image of a horrible man staring at me from the bottom of my bed. Again it sent shivers up my spine, felt as though I was shaking inside and immediately opened my eyes feeling very frightened again. :( I was just wondering if this is normal for any human being, whether it’s to do with the process of changing one tablet to another or could this be a kind of seizure? I can’t say I have really ever noticed this before but it does frighten me at the time / shakes me up. It’s not like thinking of an image, it just appears and I know it’s not a dream neither – I don’t think it is!? :ponder: I hope the above makes sense.
I will appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thank you all. I hope you are all having an ok kind of weekend.
Kind Regards
Debbie
:rose:

P.S. Can changing tablets make you feel very tired and out of breath?

Deb,

There are nights that when I lie down to go to bed and close my eyes images will appear. However, they are random images and move extremely fast (flashes) not allowing me enough time to really even grasp it. I have nocturnal complex seizures and this is usually an indication that I will seize in my sleep. Try not to stress these images and remind yourself that it is of the brain and not real. Maybe you could listen to some soothing music as this will maybe relieve some stress.

As far as changing tablets it can cause a variety of things.

Welllll now

what you're describing could be one of two things: a side effect of meds, especially if you've just changed over, and your body is getting used to the new one. OR it could be an aura/seizure of some sort. I don't remember what type of E you have....a lot of times events like what you just described are tied to Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, but I may be wrong....don't quote me on that. It may very well be an aura (simple partial) so you need to put in a call to your neuro!!

Hi Deb --

Which med are you switching to? I know with Lamictal people tend to have very intense dreams/nightmares during the adjustment period. It is possible to have dreams in just "a blink of the eye", although it might also be that you are experiencing a kind of aura. The period while transitioning from one med to another can be a little unpredictable, with side effects related to the combination of old and new meds, or just the new med. The tired feeling could come from that. You might want to check in with your doctor about what you are experiencing, especially if any of the things you describe start escalating.

Best,
Nakamova

Hello,

Meetz1064, the Neurologist thinks I have got "Temporal Lobe Epilepsy". On the 18th January 2010, I will be having a week EEG scan to see if I am having nocturnal seizures or seizures I don't know about.

Nakamova, I am on the process of changing my Levetiracetam (Keppra) to Lamotrigine (Lamictal). I am currently on 750mg of Keppra and 100mg of Lamictal.

So far all of the above sounds very interesting. :ponder: I will have a word with my Neurologist when I next see him. It won’t be until next year now. :eek:
Thank you

I'm glad

to hear that your neuro is actually being thorough about it, Deb. :) Some are not...

Yep Meetz1064, at the moment can't fault him. :p The one I saw in hospital before being diagnosed with E, was absolutely rubbish. He never even listened to what I had to say. He just said, "No you haven't got E. so you can go home now" (after 12 days being in hospital - why I don't know). He put it down to anxiety and depression, and to think he is one position below my Neurologist. I just feel sorry for the people who have to see him. It just gets you annoyed. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom