Not sure if seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

opaltopal

New
Reaction score
Recently dx after simple with secondary generalized seizure. Tried topamax just weaned off 2 weeks ago. Neuro and family dr. offered other AED, but I chose to wait and see. I have finally felt "normal" this past week after getting topamax out of my system. I'm not sure, but think I may have had a simple seizure yesterday at work. I was feeling a bit stressed at work we are down 1 person with almost double the patients, Im a dental assistant. I came back to my room and felt strange, I was confused thought where am I, I tried to look around and noticed this room was cleaned and reset I thought I had to clean it up. I heard a coworker say are you ok, but it didn't set in she came up to me and asked me again then I knew she was talking to me and said "yea, just trying to think of what I need to do. I felt really out of it but came back quickly. Today I asked her about it and she said she saw me standing there first my eyes closed then opened but with a blank look on my face so she came to check on me she said I was zoned out for 2 minutes. Was that a seizure or something to be concerned with?

Hey opaltopal --

I hope it isn't, but it does sound like a simple partial or an absence seizure. I recommend that you make a note of it and any other odd episodes so you can get a sense of how often they might be happening. I hope that you can stay off the meds, I know they are no fun.

I can't say if it was or wasn't a seizure though it is possible. Either way I agree with Nak, I would make a point of recording it somewhere in detail every time this happens in case you find a pattern & so you can tell the doctor or neurologist about it.

Opaltopal,

You may have had a complex partial or simple partial seizure, or it could be something else.

If you became extremely confused for a moment, and that's the only symptom, it could be a simple partial seizure. Or, it could be a symptom of withdrawl from your medication. The meds do crazy stuff to people's brains. Or it could be something else. If it happens again call your doc. It could be something more serious.

Possible seizures.....

Was it like you were in one place once second, and somewhere else the next, and didn't know how you got there? And you felt extremely confused in general afterwards? That would be like some of my complex partials. (Complex partial is a seizure where either your consciousness or memory is impaired)

Was it like you didn't recognize the room? It looked totally unfamiliar to you? If that's it, then it may have been a simple partial seizure. It's called "Jaimas Vu," and it refers to not recognizing something that is familiar.

Maybe it's time to call your neurologist?

Worth making note of, but you also could have just had a period where your brain needed to reset. You sound like you are stressed, and at this time of year, it can be multiplied.

Make sure you are getting adequate rest, proper nutrition, and take necessary breaks throughout the day. We all could use more meditation in our lives.

Back
Top Bottom