Not Sure What Is Happening To Me

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AvengerGT

New
Reaction score
I am scheduled to see a Neurologist on July 17. About a two months ago I starting having these spells?, episodes? Where when I was driving I would feel like I was falling or going unconscious. It's really hard to explain. It would last for just a few seconds. I would put on the brakes and grab the steering wheel just trying to figure out what just happened. I didn't drift into other lanes or anything. This event? has started happening more often, at least once a day. I could be walking, sitting in front of the computer or driving. My family doctor mentioned the word seizure. He did blood work to rule the normal stuff. I have a lot of concerns at this point. I have not read of anyone having a seizure in the way I am having these.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like these could be SP seizures and my first thought is, please, don't drive if you're experiencing these "episodes". Putting on the brakes or grabbing the steering wheel, if only for a few seconds, can be dangerous, even deadly to others.

Did your GP send you to a neurologist for further testing? An EEG, MRI or a CT scan?

Here is a site explaining the different types of seizures:http://www.epilepsy.com/Epilepsy/types_seizures

Thanks for the Reply Cint,

Insurance denied the MRI until I am evaluated by a Neurologist on July 17th. This was the earliest appointment. My family doctor has taken me off the road until I see the Neurologist. This opens up another can of worms though. I work in hospitals and driving is part of my job. If the Neurologist doesn't find anything will I still be labeled as having seizures and loose my job? I would like to find people who have been down this road before.

Hi AvengerGT, welcome to CWE!

I agree with Cint, what you describe sounds like Simple Partial seizures. I've had similar symptoms in the weeks leading up to a full-blown seizure. (They are called "partial" seizures because only a part of the brain is affected. Simple Partial seizures can be isolated, or they can be indications that a larger seizure (with full loss of consciousness) is on the way, in which case they are called Auras. Simple Partials take a wide variety of forms -- usually involving one or another kind of sensory disturbance. You can read more about them here to see if anything sounds familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_partial_seizure

If you haven't experienced loss if consciousness during your symptoms, and the neurologist is unable to make a diagnosis, it's unlikely that you would lose driving privileges or your license. Every state has different regulations however, so you should check with yours to be sure. Regardless, if your symptoms interfere with your ability to be an alert driver, you should consider finding alternative transportation. I know that can be an enormous burden, but you should weigh that against the risk of damage to yourself or others should an accident occur while you're driving.

While you're awaiting diagnosis, try and keep detailed notes on when you've experienced the symptoms. Track how long they last and how frequently they occur (especially if they are occurring more and more often). Look for patterns or any potential triggers. The #1 trigger is fatigue, but there could more than one, or it could be something cumulative or subtle. Other kinds of triggers: Low blood sugar, low blood pressure, dehydration, food sensitivities (MSG, aspartame, caffeine, gluten), metabolic issues (deficiencies or absorption issues), hormones (thyroid, estrogen, progesterone), illness/injury/infection, environmental triggers (flashing lights, dappled shade), and/or emotional stressors. Try and be as proactive as possible with your overall health -- avoid extremes in your diet, moderate your intake of stimulants or alcohol, and get plenty of sleep.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom