Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator / Even Keel

Thanked 1,234 Times in 954 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Endless

Numerous lawsuits over Depakote

I don't know if you have been watching the news or listening to ads, but there has been a flurry of information lately about lawsuits over Depakote. They range from birth defects, to pancreatitis, to liver failure... pretty much all the serious side effects in the package insert. It seems like there's been something on the tv or print news here every day, plus all those ads.

I wanted to post some links, but they all belong to attorneys, even the informative sites. First of all, it makes me crazy when somebody uses .org, making it look like a helpful non-profit site when it's really a sleazy way to get business. And I really don't want to intentionally or unintentionally plug some lawyer here by posting a link to their site. If you want to find a lawyer just stand up in a restaurant and yell "depakote" and all the attorneys will run to your table, card in hand. But seriously, if you google depakote lawsuit you'll get pages and pages of stuff, including attorneys.

Anyway, I know some people in here have been on depakote a very long time, and have paid a very high price for using it. I just wanted to raise just the possibility of action, to help them pay for all the care they are going to need now because of the permanent side effects of the depakote. I know it has made your life rather hellish.

P.S. New people on Depakote - don't get scared. Most people are perfectly fine on the stuff. It's mostly the people that have been on it for 40 years that are now seeing the results of that.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Your Host
Recent Blog: Oh poop

Thanked 2,290 Times in 817 Posts
We had a recent advertiser that is recruiting people for a class action lawsuit for the USA:

http://www.depakotebirthinjury.com/

Previous thread on the topic:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...h-defects-733/
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Endless (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Do you know if folks on Depakote were on it for Bipolar or mood stability vs seizures? THat could make the difference..maybe.. maybe not?

Jan
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

UGH!
I hate reading stuff like this. My son is on depakote and the doc's nurse called today to inform me that his video EEG from last week still shows "electrical and clinical seizures". The doc wants me to increase his meds.

Since increasing from 4 caps per day to 5, he has been biting his nails and poking at his eyes. He is 11 and essentially non-verbal (can label and request but can not tell me how his eyes are feeling or why he is biting his nails). Now the doc wants him to take 6 caps per day.

My son has an appointment with her on Thursday (if the snowstorm is not too bad) so I guess I will discuss the issues above before upping the dose.

I feel so defeated. I wish something would help him without side effects!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator / Even Keel

Thanked 1,234 Times in 954 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Oh, hootie,

I'm so sorry. The meds can be brutal. Is your son on other meds, as well? Could a drug inter-reaction be going on?

Has your son tried lamictal? Some people find it hellish, but most do very well on it. It's known as one of the drugs that has the least effect cognitively and emotionally.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
New Here

Enquiry from an Australian TV producer

Hello - if there's anyone reading this in Australia and would like to speak to a TV producer researching sodium valproate, could you please take a quick look at the recent posting in the Hamster Cage?

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...defects-20200/

Last edited by Bernard; 04-03-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: add link