Occipital Epilepsy or Ocular Migraines?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Howll

New
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone here suffers from either condition, and what are the differences in how they manifest?
Since my early teens I've had flashing lights or squiggly lines in front of my eyes, nothing else happens with them apart from being a distraction. Sometimes it'll be a blurred line that'll change shape and eventually move out of my field of vision.
I mentioned this in my last neurological appointment and have mentioned it previously but nothing has even really been done in terms of it. It's rather annoying. I've noticed that it seems to happen more often after I have a cigarette for example, which I know can be a trigger for ocular migraines. But these happen multiple times a day and it's just aggravating me.

I also saw something in another thread about Celiac disease, and specifically having occipital seizures due to this condition. I think I'm going to get tested for it because I've always suffered digestion problems, and a couple of the other symptoms seem to present themselves in me.

Sorry for the long post, just curious if anyone else has experienced this because there isn't a massive amount of info anywhere!

Hi Howll,

I have occipital seizure when I have a complex partial seizure. I will start to see the colors of the rainbow in a jagged design and they go back and forth from one eye to the other. My neuro told me yrs. ago that this was the beginning of a simple partial seizure that could lead into a complex partial or absence seizure for me but he told me the moment I start to see the colors flash back and forth in my eyes to tighen up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fists and if I do it quick enough it would stop the seizures and take my word it works great, give it a try and see if it stops the seizure for you. I wish you the best and May God Bless You!
Sue

Before the onset of my seizures, I experienced occasional ocular migraines. No headache, just the visual stuff ("scintillating scotoma"). But in the 17 years since I had my first seizures and was diagnosed with epilepsy, I've haven't had any ocular migraines. Not a one.

Either the migraines were epilepsy-related (maybe some kind of partial?) and evolved into tonic-clonics.
OR
They were "regular" migraines, cousins to epilepsy, but ultimately unrelated.

In either case, perhaps the seizure medication is what caused them to stop.

Hmm, interesting! It's an odd thing I must say but it's kinda become part of my life, I can almost not remember having them. I can't say I've experienced them before a seizure apart from MAYBE my first, but the fact they seem to be triggered by stress and smoking (both prevalent in my daily life) could lead to them being ocular migraines, both factors being big triggers. I read an article recently of a woman who constantly suffers them but they seem to be a lot more visual. Mine are just like TV static almost, like a little moving cluster of dots. I've noticed for the past day or two I've had them almost constantly but again, I've been an anxious mess so maybe there's some correlation. It's annoying but since every medical person I've asked about them seems to shrug it off I feel there's not much I can do!

yeah, I never considered trying to treat my ocular migraines. They didn't happen that often, and I would just wait for them to pass. The flashing zigzag pattern in my vision was annoying, but as long as I wasn't driving they weren't problematic.

Have you tried taking Tylenol when the migraines occur? Or coffee? I know caffeine seems counterintuitive, but for some kinds of migraines it actually helps. (A bit like treating ADD with ritalin, which is a stimulant). Of course you should avoid caffeine if it is a trigger or stressor for you.

I have ocular migraines. Its something new since oregnancy. When I get them they get worse as time passes and last 20-30 minutes. It makes it seem like I am looking through a cloudy cracked window or something. I can see clearly in one small spot at a time. I have to focus my sight on a square inch and can see that small area but the rest is blurred. It typically clears within 30 minutes and leads to a migraine following.
I havent brought this up with my neurologist but its pretty clear cut ocular migraine.

I also saw something in another thread about Celiac disease, and specifically having occipital seizures due to this condition. I think I'm going to get tested for it because I've always suffered digestion problems, and a couple of the other symptoms seem to present themselves in me.

That seems like really good insight. Have you also considered gut origin of seizure? There is a gut-eye connection. In my understanding, gut microbiota imbalance can lead to autoimmunity including eye problems.

That seems like really good insight. Have you also considered gut origin of seizure? There is a gut-eye connection. In my understanding, gut microbiota imbalance can lead to autoimmunity including eye problems.

Yes, that was my thinking actually. I've actually gone gluten free to test this out and after two weeks have noticed not only a reduction in my gastrointestinal distress, but also a reduction in these visual disturbances.

Eeg

I had one of many over the years but this was different when it came to close your eyes look at strob lighting did it 4times,With eyes shut I saw amazing colours blue red green but colours I never seen in usual life.I would think people on acid high would get it.,in fact it was couloirs do not in the spectrum most intense coul our .
What is the chemical and physiology of that I would like to know

Howll, you might try some other things like a low carb diet, perhaps a high fat, low carb, moderate protein ketogenic diet. I believe the mechanism of success behind the ketogenic diet is about gut flora shift. You might also try probiotics and prebiotics. Begin slowly to avoid adverse reaction. There are other supplements to consider, as well, to improve metabolism . . . things like B vitamins, digestive enzymes, certain amino acids, zinc and magnesium . . .

Back
Top Bottom