Odd Seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a cousin whose in her early 80's and she has had tonic clonic seizure for most of her life but then they stopped and everything was fine.
I found out today that she has been having problems where she will be sitting at the kitchen table and then just fall asleep with her head drooping down. After a minute or 2 she's awake but not to with it. Do you think this is a seizure or maybe a sleep disorder. Thanks for your time and help. May God Bless All of You!

Sue

Sounds like a seizure to me.
Because I have some like that. As a matter of fact that is how I first realized (family did) that I have epilepsy.
(That and memory loss.)

Hi Topcat,

Thanks for the info. The more I've looked into it I'm wondering if my cousin doesn't have narcolepsy it describes how she's acting. Thanks again and May God Bless You!

Sue

Does she remember anything from when she falls asleep? Any dreams? If it's narcolepsy, then she would probably remember dreaming -- narcoleptics go to REM sleep immediately and skip the intermediate sleep phases.

But if it's a seizure, then she probably won't remember any of the incident, and she'll be confused afterwards.

Can she have a sleep study done? That might help shed some light.

Hi Nakamova,

My cousin doesn't remember anything after it's over and when I spoke with her yesterday I told her she needs to have a sleep study done. The one thing that really surprised me is that her voice was very weak like it was almost hard for her to talk and she sounded exhausted. Thanks for your help and time. May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom