"Oh Crap" (not again!)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking earlier this month when we were on holidays. I was with my husband and kids down the south coast on the beach. We were at a caravan park and the kids were asleep. Hubby and I were in the van and I suddenly started to feel like my chin and the bottom of my mouth were going numb and tingly. Under my breath I muttered 'oh crap' thinking a seizure was about to start but then nothing.
It was the strangest thing because it definitely felt just the same as when i've had grandmal seizures in the past. The same thing happened a couple of nights later.

It's great that it didn't turn it seizure. Can you think of anything that: A. might have triggered a bit of abnormal brain activity, or B. stopped the abnormal brain activity from going any farther?

Sorry you went through that. Scary.

Could it have been an aura? Did you used to have those? Are you on meds? If so, it could be a sign they are working and not letting it progress into a seizure.

Just catching up on my reading (while I'm not working - ha ha ha), and seeing all this seizure activity. Full moon, guys, full moon. Does it to me every month. It's no joke. Not for me, at least. It's a trigger for me, and it's why I opted to work from home (rather than drive anywhere).

Chel

ETA: do any of you keep diaries, and if so, do you see a pattern around the full moon?

Last edited:
Chel,

I've never analyzed my seizure journal for lunar activity. This is a great idea, though. Aren't more babies born in a full moon, and more crimes committed? So why not more seizures?

I will do it tonight while I am up with my usual case of insomnia. I will also analyze for solar flares and planetary alignments.

Here's a place you can see all the dates for full moons. For the elders in our group, the dates go all the way back to 1900. :roflmao: : http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/fullmoon.htm

Here's a place you can look up solar flare dates and intensities, to see if there is any unusual activity during any especially high seizure activity:
http://solar-center.stanford.edu/SID/activities/activity.html

Check out planetary alignments and their dates here, to compare your dates with high seizures to see if there is anything unusual going on with the planets:
http://www.etsu.edu/physics/etsuobs/starprty/22099dgl/planalign.htm

P.S. Wouldn't it be a fun site to have someone punch in a date and it searches to correlate with a bunch of stuff, like moon, planets, solar flares, earth magnetic activity, weather, etc.? Or am I just a super-nerd who is easily entertained by esoteric scientific trivia? (I suspect the latter)

Just think. You could punch in the dates when you forget to work on the "honey-do" list, and then blame it on solar flares. I know I already use that excuse with emails that don't get sent or my computer crashing. "Oh - I already sent that but I think it was lost due to solar flare...."

For the elders in our group, the dates go all the way back to 1900. :roflmao:

Cheeky LOL

This was great, thanks! I'm going to bookmark those links. Mind you, I've been keeping an eye on this for the last six or seven months, and know it's a trigger for me. Now I just need to remember to keep my diary up to date *wink*

Cheers
Chel

I like to blame things on "mercury retrograde". It's the time of year when mercury appears to go backwards. Astrologists like to link it to all sorts of foul-ups -- travel plans going awry, computermisbehaving, car battery suddenly dying, things getting lost in the mail, etc. Even if you don't believe in astrology (and I don't, although I love it), mercury retrograde makes for a great excuse.

Just catching up on my reading (while I'm not working - ha ha ha), and seeing all this seizure activity. Full moon, guys, full moon. Does it to me every month. It's no joke. Not for me, at least. It's a trigger for me, and it's why I opted to work from home (rather than drive anywhere).

Chel

ETA: do any of you keep diaries, and if so, do you see a pattern around the full moon?

OMG, I'm not the only one that noticed that! *phew* My brother has bipolar disorder and let's just say the full moon was never a good time in our household when he was still living here. Last night (the night after the full moon) I had my first seizure in almost two months, and it was a doozy. I couldn't sleep until 2:30 AM. (Ask Endless, lol)

Why, yes. I CAN vouch for literophile at 2:30 a.m. :comp:

I am awake and available for all of you about 22 hours a day, should you need an alibi of any kind.

even if I am counting :sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

Chel

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/neurological-conditions/seizure-during-full-moon.htm

haha i looked it up. its not that odd actually

Back
Top Bottom