Ohsu

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bazpa

New
Reaction score
Has anybody been to OHSU for treatment? I have read they have a good program. My neurologist seems good, and I like him, however, I am not yet stable on my medications, and it is nearly impossible to get through his nurse. I am on my 6th medication since October, because of hives, allergies, or I:? cannot tolerate the side effects. I had such a bad time with the Keppra-I tried to call, my husband called, and was told to call my Primary care doctor. My primary care doctor called him as she does not feel qualified to change these medications, and was told I would get a call back. After 2 days, I called her back, as I had not gotten a call back. She called again. She checked back a few hours later, to see if they had called-when I told her no, she called them again, and ripped into them. I finally got a call back from a nurse changing my meds. All of this took 2 horrible weeks. I am having several seizures a day again, and a nurse called today to tell me to double my meds, but I would like to go in to see my doctor to see about my sleeping issue as I have not seen him in 3 months. I cannot get an appointment until August 22nd. Does this seem right for a person that has only been diagnosed since last October, and has not found the right medication, or combination of medication to get myself stable, or at least in a state that I feel like I can function as normal as possible. I am new enough at this that I do not know if it is normal that I should have to wait so long to get in, or wait that long to at least get a call back.

I'm in the Boston area, and unfortunately your experience sounds very familiar. I've often had to leave repeated messages before getting a call back from the nurse/receptionist. And if they make a mistake (say, in prescribing the generic instead of the brand) it can take a long time to get it sorted out. They will respond more quickly and maybe squeeze you in for an earlier appointment if you say it's an emergency, but for anything less it can take months.

You might consider writing a letter to the higher-ups at OHSU to see if that gets their attention...

Last edited:
I am thinking of going to OHSU instead of the doctor I am seeing now. I have been reading about their program. It seems they have a program to treat everything for Epilepsy from physical to the mental issues. I really don't like the attitude of this nurse I keep having to deal with. She is absolutely rude to deal with. Other than drive to the E.R. you cannot even get through her to leave a basic message to your doctor.

Back
Top Bottom