Omega 3 added to Food - Allergy Warning

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JanieNut

New
Reaction score
Ok - I know I have mentioned that I am allergic to sea food. But I really want to help my brain to function better. I found a new item at the grocery store - string cheese with Omega 3 – Fish Oil is great for the brain right? Maybe they figured out a way to put it in cheese without the fish part. Read the label and no seafood is mentioned or allergy warning was on the package - so - I tried it. I ate one string cheese. It took about 10 minutes to trigger my hives and about 20 for the breathing to be effected. I had them for 24 hours or so. I just wanted to warn anyone with allergies to take care with the Omega 3 food additive. I am afraid to try the flax seed now. Darn it.
On the upside – During the Hives my new tattoo raised up - it was a giant tattoo shaped hive- yep, the entire tattoo. At least I got to see that! Who would have guessed that would happen?

I would want to be trying to figure out why that reaction happened.
I would also want to work to get my body back in balance to not be allergic to sea food. Your immune system must not be functioning properly. Have you ever had a metals test?

I had not heard of people being allergic to Omega 3 before, so I did a quick search and found this:
DrDonnica said:
If you are allergic to fish, you should NOT take fish oil supplements or omega-3 fatty acids, despite their health benefits. Omega-3 fatty acids may be important in reducing the risk of heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and cancer. They also may play a role in improving mood and memory. While cold water fish are the highest source of omega-3 fatty acids, there are other foods and oils that contain these fatty acids in smaller amounts: walnuts, flax seeds, and flax seed oil. The current recommendation is to have 7 to 11 grams of omega-3 fatty acids each week.
Having a food allergy means that your immune system reacts to a specific protein as if it were a threat by releasing histamines and other powerful chemicals, which trigger your allergic symptoms and can range from a rash to an asthma attack to deadly anaphylaxis. Fish is one of 7 types of foods that account for 90% of all food-related allergic reactions; other foods include peanuts, tree nuts (e.g. walnuts, pecans), milk, soy, wheat, and eggs. While some children may outgrow their food allergies, these allergies in adults tend to increase in severity over time.
Maybe you would have better luck getting the essential Omega 3 oil from a non-fish source (like Chia seed).

Back
Top Bottom