An ongoing feeling...?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm new here guys and I'd really like to utilize this and make friends and such because it's just so hard to explain to people who don't have epilepsy what it's like for me and that it's different for everyone.
Anyway, I have a question. The majority of my seizures are simple partial, I probably have twenty for every one grand mal and they are all over the place, I've went a year or two without them sometimes without medication, but now I'm on my full dose for the first time in a long time and I'm having the simple partials once a day or so. Anyway, when I'm having the simple partials I usually feel weird around that time, like say I have them for two weeks, during that time I feel paranoid and just kinda scared for no reason, not like afraid of having a seizure, but like there's some kinda weird chemical thing is going on and certain things I think about make me feel weirder, too. The weird thing is that once I stop having the simple partials I feel fine again, I'll go from checking all my closets to see if there's a murderer in the house and looking around my bedroom a hundred times a night while trying to sleep to just being normal and not afraid of that stuff, it really sucks when I'm alone.
Okay, so does anyone feel kinda weird when their seizures aren't controlled but just fine when they are?

Lunameower,

Welcome to the forum!

You are not alone - it's a big supportive club in here. A little company that understands what you're going through is why a lot of people are in here. So much of seizures is undescribable - like no other feeling. There's no way a non-seizure person could understand.

Your feelings of fear are a relatively common symptom of seizures. It can either be a side-symptom, or a seizure itself.

Does it last under 5 minutes or so? If so... There is a simple partial seizure that is simply emotion, most often fear. I call it "dear in headlights." Someone else in here described it as how you've feel if you jumped off a building and you are half way down.

Do you feel it most intensely before another seizure? It could be a warning aura.

If it lasts hours to days it could be pre or postictal (after a seizure) You might find this interesting:
http://www.epilepsy.com/101/Ep101_symptom

Anxiety is also something some people experience because of their seizures;
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/interprob_anxiety

Extinction deficit and fear reinstatement after electrical stimulation of the amygdala: implications for kindling-associated fear and anxiety.

Long, but worth reading:
Neuropsychiatric and Memory Issues in Epilepsy

It's like a blanket feeling that I have during the period of time that I'm having seizures. For instance my seizures seem to be moderately hormonal as in they are more prevalent at certain points in my menstrual cycle, so maybe for a week and a half I'll have simple partial seizures, maybe about twenty or so and while I have a very strong feeling during those, the rest of that week and a half period of time I will just feel weird in general, paranoia is one of the most prominent feelings, but once the seizures stop for that period of time I feel fine again.
I'll be going to a neurologist next month for basically my first time, I've seen neurologists but only during like emergency visits, but I recently went on disability and can now see a neurologist.
Thank you for your response.

Back
Top Bottom