Other causes of abnormal brain activity in left temporal lobe?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

The Epileptologist found abnormal brain activity in my left temporal lobe on my recent EEG. I forgot to ask what else, apart from epilepsy could cause this abnormality. So I googled it; ADD, Skitzophrenia, Dyslexia, brain trauma, brain tumours and deprived oxygen at birth, infections etc. I did get stuck in the birth canal and had to be pulled back out again and delivered via emergency ceaser. I also had a 2hour febrile seizure as a baby so that could have been caused by an infection I guess. I'm hesitant to self diagnosis but my research is always Doctor reviewed or scientific academic journals. It sounds like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck so I doubt its a goose! Bring on that VEEG.

Here's a cool video I found for the newbies to epilepsy...

http://www.everydayhealth.com/epilepsy/understanding/when-are-seizures-not-epilepsy.aspx

Keep in mind that different disorders cause different kinds of abnormal brainwaves. So while both dyslexia and epilepsy may generate abnormal brainwaves in the temporal lobe, the EEG pattern for dyslexia will be different than that for epilepsy. The same is true for the other disorders you list.

Thanks Nakamova, that's good to hear, at least it should narrow down the diagnosis. I've just called the hospital and they told me they have sent me a confirmation letter for a 1day Video EEG on April 16th!!! So much sooner than expected, given the 12-18month waiting time. I had said to my Epileptologist that if I couldn't get in soon, I'd fly to Melbourne so I think she must have pulled some strings =)

Thanks Nakamova, that's good to hear, at least it should narrow down the diagnosis. I've just called the hospital and they told me they have sent me a confirmation letter for a 1day Video EEG on April 16th!!! So much sooner than expected, given the 12-18month waiting time. I had said to my Epileptologist that if I couldn't get in soon, I'd fly to Melbourne so I think she must have pulled some strings =)

Hi Wobblez,
That's good news that your epitiologist was able to get you in for the Video EEG so quick.

I KNOW!! I'm so grateful, I'll be sending her a thank you card. However, when I rang her office to make an appointment for the follow up/results, her receptionist said that the doc didn't want me to make one just yet, as I may not need it???? So if I get no results, that's it, is it? And if I do, surely she can't prescribe additional medication/treatment without a consult? All I can assume is that she will book me in for a 5 day Video EEG and/or raise my Lamictal. I wanted to make the appointment now so this won't drag on for another month but I guess I'll just wait and see. Fingers crossed I can wrap this up!

Back
Top Bottom