Coping With Epilepsy Neurofeedback & Counseling Associates
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Las Vegas, NV and Denver, CO
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Other causes of abnormal brain activity in left temporal lobe?

Hi everyone!

The Epileptologist found abnormal brain activity in my left temporal lobe on my recent EEG. I forgot to ask what else, apart from epilepsy could cause this abnormality. So I googled it; ADD, Skitzophrenia, Dyslexia, brain trauma, brain tumours and deprived oxygen at birth, infections etc. I did get stuck in the birth canal and had to be pulled back out again and delivered via emergency ceaser. I also had a 2hour febrile seizure as a baby so that could have been caused by an infection I guess. I'm hesitant to self diagnosis but my research is always Doctor reviewed or scientific academic journals. It sounds like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck so I doubt its a goose! Bring on that video EEG.

Here's a cool video I found for the newbies to epilepsy...

http://www.everydayhealth.com/epilep...-epilepsy.aspx

Psychology honours student and stablehand =)
Childhood history of "the works", 2013 EEG shows abnormal left temporal lobe activity and cognitive slowing, but not of an typical "epileptic" nature = Seizure disorder - cause unknown, plus vestibular vertigo. Pristiq: 75mg daily
Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,323 Times in 5,406 Posts
Keep in mind that different disorders cause different kinds of abnormal brainwaves. So while both dyslexia and epilepsy may generate abnormal brainwaves in the temporal lobe, the EEG pattern for dyslexia will be different than that for epilepsy. The same is true for the other disorders you list.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 AM

Thanks Nakamova, that's good to hear, at least it should narrow down the diagnosis. I've just called the hospital and they told me they have sent me a confirmation letter for a 1day Video EEG on April 16th!!! So much sooner than expected, given the 12-18month waiting time. I had said to my Epileptologist that if I couldn't get in soon, I'd fly to Melbourne so I think she must have pulled some strings =)

Childhood history of "the works", 2013 EEG shows abnormal left temporal lobe activity and cognitive slowing, but not of an typical "epileptic" nature = Seizure disorder - cause unknown, plus vestibular vertigo. Pristiq: 75mg daily
Old 04-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thanked 1,306 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Wobblez View Post:
Thanks Nakamova, that's good to hear, at least it should narrow down the diagnosis. I've just called the hospital and they told me they have sent me a confirmation letter for a 1day Video EEG on April 16th!!! So much sooner than expected, given the 12-18month waiting time. I had said to my Epileptologist that if I couldn't get in soon, I'd fly to Melbourne so I think she must have pulled some strings =)
Hi Wobblez,
That's good news that your epitiologist was able to get you in for the Video EEG so quick.

One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day
Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 PM

I KNOW!! I'm so grateful, I'll be sending her a thank you card. However, when I rang her office to make an appointment for the follow up/results, her receptionist said that the doc didn't want me to make one just yet, as I may not need it???? So if I get no results, that's it, is it? And if I do, surely she can't prescribe additional medication/treatment without a consult? All I can assume is that she will book me in for a 5 day Video EEG and/or raise my Lamictal. I wanted to make the appointment now so this won't drag on for another month but I guess I'll just wait and see. Fingers crossed I can wrap this up!