Out of Body experience again.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vapour

New
Reaction score
Out of body experinces.. yeah .. .common with me on falling asleep or waking...

This afternoon i was watching a movie, relaxing and I started to get twitching, so I figured I would lay down and take a nap.

It was hard for me to fall asleep.. because of the twitching...but over a 2 hour period (I think roughly) I managed to get some becuase I had a bad dream.

Most of it however was like .. a half state.. just as I fell asleep I would come around again.. which led to the lovely Out of Body experience.. my last one was a few weeks ago...

So, anyways, the intersting thing about this one, was that as I was having it I had a "knowing" or "revelation" you might call it. This time though.. I remembered the "knowing". ALot of times when I have a seizure I know everything for a breif moment.. and then its gone.

So here is what I recognised/knew: As I as coming out of my body I could hear all these tribal drums in my ears. At that point I was like "Ah, shamans are trying to summon me"

Well, truth be told, I had no idea what summon relaly meant.. or what a shaman really is. SO I googled it.

to my utter suprise I saw how alot of supposed shamans have epilepsy. It also made absaloute sense.. given I was having an out of body experience that I would be thinking about shamans (even though at the time of having this I had no idea what a shaman was)...and I am now in shock and very confused.

Weird. Will explain yet another trip to the Neuro on Monday.

Was going to say something else, but have forgotten.

My Take on This.

You sure you werne't on "shrooms?"

Just kidding.

All in all, since I'm not an incredibly spiritual person, this is my extremely under-educated medical opinion.

The human mind picks up millions upon millions of bits and facts of information throughout it's lifespan. Things you don't even know, you actually have intelligence of, because it's somehow half-way buried in your subconcious from a passing event or remark that may have not been actively listened to at the time, yet can sneak up and find you YEARS down the line. It's sort of my hypothesis and a tie-in to 'dreams.'

As far as I make the connection. In dreams, I believe that people mull over what their subconcious mind has reeled in recently. It can be fragmented, disjointed and not near anywhere anything logical, rational or purposeful - in it's most obvious sense. They teach us by bringing to the forefront, connotations of what we found useful throughout recent times yet may have not heeded enough attention towards.

Goes pretty far to explaining the 'dream-like' quality, thta you had.

As an epileptic, at it's basest form, there is something neurologically wrong with us in an extreme variant amount of ways. Tie that in comparatively to the whimsical and silly nature of 'dream-like' states and you can easily see where a situation such as your own can wave it's head about it.

You could have heard, through background noise on a television show seven years ago, a fact that tribesman had something another to do with epilepsy, or something even more distant and unrelated then that - your own mind filling in gaps.

I believe this experience to be something relatively benign - yet for yourself, something useful.

Don't interpret this event as literal - people may look at you strangely.

Approach it from the stance of an interpreter and try to analyze and draw from it.

You may be the better for it.

Rest at ease - the human brain is a powerful and mysterious thing - Epileptics know best.

:twocents:

I had a few out of body experiences, one was scary, the others were kinda peaceful really, It is sooo hard to explain, I just felt like my karma, aura lifted away, a "Peter pan" type of experience, I explained this to friends, they asked, "as in Astral Projection?" It's annoying cause no one understands, this is why I like it here, others can relate to my experiences.

Billy.

I think

that what I've had were when I was really young....like when I was 7 or so, and so I didn't really know what to think of it then. There have been a few times recently that I've wondered, but not been sure..

I understand the twitching, though. That I have if I don't take my meds and magnesium on a regular basis, and it sucks. I also find that if I'm not totally COMFORTABLE when I go to sleep, my sleep in general is aggravated. My mind will........run a ticker tape if you will. Sounds bizarre, but it's true. You could SEE the text of what I'm thinking as well as hear it, I think, if you were inside my head.

out of body

I totally know what you mean. I always think I'm reaching nirvana though.

Being a shaman is cool too, especially if lots of shamans have epilepsy.

I'm going to go look up "shaman" on google now, maybe I missed my calling.

It is better to have transcended and lost, than to have never transcended at all.

Wow, this so much reminds me, prior to being properly disagnosed, of when I used to think I was being abducted by aliens. I would wake up in the morning and stare at my bed wondering, "What happened in my sleep? Was I abducted by aliens?" Turned out I was having nocturnal seizures and years later I saw a show on alien abductions, after being diagnosed, and how they found many of them turned out to be Epileptics. You can imagine my surprise or lack of surprise. The beauty of the brain and it's many surprises!

I have had out of body experiences. Body floating while I was sleeping then I woke out out of it and fell straight to the bed. A couple of times.

One of the reasons they say Shamans and Gurus are close to nirvana when they have siezures is because of their meditation or trance-like state. In a skilled practitioner it causes a very synchonous firing of the neurons. This causes seizures. It has made me re-examine my meditation practice - don't want more seizures.

One of the reasons they say Shamans and Gurus are close to nirvana when they have siezures is because of their meditation or trance-like state. In a skilled practitioner it causes a very synchonous firing of the neurons. This causes seizures. It has made me re-examine my meditation practice - don't want more seizures.

I've meditated before (neglected it recently) but it helped my seizures for the time I was doing it. I'm curious where you heard this about it causes neurons to fire synchronously to trigger seizures. I've never heard that before.

Research done in India on meditation. I posted the links in some other posts. (no patience to look for them now!) Half the research says meditation helps seizures, half says it makes them worse.

I love meditation. My son and I sometimes do it together. And when I had cancer they gave me free classes. It was wonderful.It was very peaceful. It once in a while happens again. If I'm calm my body is calm.

I loved to read it, people pay for that and die because of something! wonderful write a poem with it please!

I think it would be wonderful for us to get together and meditate together many times and see what happens.I have been at such a place of peace. It would be wonderful to go there with others that meditate. Even with my son it's very peaceful.

When my heart stopped all those years ago and the docs did cpr on me, I saw it. A cute doctor saying stand back.They put the AEDs on me and I was watching them doing it. So weird.I was dead. I could not feel anything. I don't know if I saw them from my eyes or what. I do know my brain was going from the begining of my life to the end. Boy, for those few seconds My brain was so clear. It was wonderful.I'm glad my son is so smart.He worries about me all the time. To much for such a little kid.Well for any kid.

Back
Top Bottom