Pain induced seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been having some "male issues" for the past few weeks, and yesterday while at work, I keeled over because I was in so much pain. The nurse there told me to go to the ER. While I was there, I was shaking like a leaf. My BP was 140/95 and heart rate was at 114. I then began to have terrible myclonic and staring spells for about three minutes straight.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else before. I did some research and saw something about "anoxic seizures" which I have never even heard of before.

Last edited:
It hasn't happened to me, but it makes sense that pain could be a possible trigger since it's a stressor to your body and brain. High blood pressure can also be triggering so that could have been a factor too. I hope you feel better soon, that doesn't sound very pleasant. :(

I get myoclonics in my leg if I hurt my leg or feet if I'm in a period where I'm prone to myos. For example, if my seizure threshold is low already and I stub my toe or get poked by something sharp in my leg, it will set off a strong myoclonic attack in that leg. Strangely, I either get myos on both sides at the same time, or right side only (but never left only), so this doesnt happen if I hurt the left side. So a slightly different thing, but pain will set off myoclonics for me if it's in the leg affected by them (and if I'm not very stable at the time).

Well, it happened again this morning. Instead of myclonics and staring spells, my body tensed and jerked in 10 to 20 second bursts (more or less tonics) and I was going in and out.

After further research on anoxic seizures, I found that it isn't tied to epilepsy. Would it be something worth mentioning to my doctor anyways?

Since it's a change in your seizure pattern, I think it's worth a mention.

Just an update. My urologist just prescribed me Percocet for the pain. I've never taken it before, school I'm a little worried that it might mess around with my seizure meds. Has anyone taken it with negative seizure effects?

I had very bad back pain for years, 2 herniated discs. It wasn't a constant pain but if I moved the wrong way, sat or stood too long and many other things it would act up. I even ended up in the ER a few times because I couldn't move. I don't believe that I had any seizures that were related to the pain. I did have seizures that were caused by some of the medicines that I was given for it.

Like Nakamova said pain can be a stressor. If I'm under stress for things I'm almost guaranteed to have a seizure that is caused by that.

I'd defently mention the changes in your seizures to your neuro. Let him know that you were prescribed another med. Sometimes drs don't know that a certain med that you are given could react with the seizure meds you are on.

I've taken Percocet after two different shoulder surgeries. It didn't mess with my seizure meds in any way. I found that half a pill every now and then while I was recovering from surgery was enough to help with the pain and pain-related sleep problems.

I also took a percocet (I still have leftovers from the original rX) after I dislocated my shoulder, to help with the pain as I sat in the ER. It relaxed me so much that my shoulder slipped back into place while I was still waiting to be seen. Unfortunately the ER doctor then re-dislocated it while examining me. :(

I call my Percocets "Circus Pets" -- it makes me laugh and makes taking the pills less of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom