Panic Attack Or Seizure Activity?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tom21

Reaction score
Hello all. Once again I've experienced a very alarming "episode" that involves dp/dr, panic, strange vision, and all of the other things I've posted about over the years trying to fully understand what's wrong with me.

For those that don't know, I've been on here for quite a while. I would come on here occasionally and post about a strange experience I'd had that was different than the usual everyday dp/dr symptoms I experience. I've experienced dp/dr/dissociation for years now due to a bad drug experience when I was an adolescent. And knowing how related dp/dr and TLE are to each other, I started browsing sites like this. The dp/dr is constant but I will also every once in awhile get unusual experiences which I come on here sometimes for.

The last time I posted about a scary experience was in 2015 when I also got my last EEG and MRI, both of which turned out clean. Since then I haven't posted much, other than the occasional question about some symptoms I was having. Tonight I experienced another very strange and scary episode in which, like the time before, I was either right about to sleep or just awakening. I felt worse than usual so I got up and went to the bathroom and then started panicking and felt confusion, increased dp/dr, disorientation, strange vision, and my head feeling kind of strange. Now I'm not sure which came before, the panic or the symptoms, and that is a really important part of this. I want to say that I felt strange first and THEN started panicking because of it. However the symptoms I was getting like strange vision, worsened dp/dr, shaking, nausea, etc, I don't know whether that was due to the panic or not. I also want to stress just how fearful and confused I was. That was the most noticeable aspect of this episode. I felt as if I quite literally had no idea what reality was, or what anything was. I almost went to the hospital because of this. And during the experience, I swore up and down it was the worst experience I ever had like this and was certain something must be wrong with my brain. And indeed I think I will see my doctor about this.

Please tell me what you make of this, thanks.

Last edited:
Hey tom, can you give more detail about the "strange vision" you were experiencing? Was it distortions, hallucinations, flashing lights, blurring? Did it matter whether your eyes were open or closed? Did it matter whether you were in a dark or lighted room?

Hey tom, can you give more detail about the "strange vision" you were experiencing? Was it distortions, hallucinations, flashing lights, blurring? Did it matter whether your eyes were open or closed? Did it matter whether you were in a dark or lighted room?
It's really hard to explain now that it's over. I think it was just "visual disturbances" like strange patterns or lights/colors. I just felt very very disoriented, confused, and scared. The fear and confusion was very intense. It was like I was on the brink of normal consciousness. I was just barely understanding reality and my environment. At least that's how it felt.

Also, there is another odd thing that I experience every time an "episode" like this happens. As soon as I start panicking, I always have to have someone talk to me constantly. It's like it helps "bring me back". It's very odd.

Last edited:
Ooh that panic is familiar panic attack you end up panicking because you already panicking.
The vision I not comment to much I can only go by what I get.yes I do her visual diorination which reasonable.Some years ago by visual was worse than ever Been so bad I went to A &e.iit was decidedd I need MRI and yes was a stroke but to this day I dnt know if it was.Medicene can do this swell.i had one doc day Otptzlmic other it ep others say small stroke.when panic started d I just need talk to people about ordering things that hope but other times not.i came to learn if ep or just stress but even that big problems.I just think I not dying that easy said bc brain feels like dog food by then.eeg not conclusive and neither is MRI.
I find the panic aura and migraine at the end Most debilitating.the short sz ok.often I get small sz and unaware of it.i have cloberzam if timed to the second he often aborts it.
There many on here have e and panic Acura is life restrtrickimg.so you not alone

Both the strange patterns/colors and the intense fear can be partial seizure symptoms, so make a note of them and definitely try and see a neurologist.

Back
Top Bottom