Partial Complex Tounge Chewing in Sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joif

New
Reaction score
I am 31 years old and in my 3rd trimester of my pregnancy. I am currently taking keppra for my partial complex seizures and during my pregnancy I have been ok with my seizures.

Today I was having some seizures during the day while I was awake which is unusal. I came home after work and went to bed. When I woke up I found my pillow covered in vomit and blood. My tounge is cut up and bloody now. This is new to my seizure activity so I am just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what is going on.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks

Go to your neurologist right away! This sounds like a tonic clonic aka grand mal. Tongue chewing and throwing up is very very uncommon with complex partials and you need to have youself checked out, as well as baby to be safe.

Have you ever had a grand mal?

Hi joif,

During pregnancy your estrogen levels can fluctuate, and this can lower your seizure threshold and also make the AED go through your system faster. You may need to up your level of Keppra to compensate. Since this recent daytime seizure is an escalation for you, definitely check with your doctor about getting your Keppra levels checked and/or adjusting your dose.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom