partial seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Are all your partial seizures alike? I had one today that was different from others I've experienced. I usually can't think clearly during one but today I saw the year 2017 written on an appointment card & I could not grasp in my mind what 2017 was. I reached for my medication & it had 2016 on the label & that confused me more. It frightened me to think I didn't know the date. It only lasted minutes but it disturbed me to think I might completely lose my mind. Thanks for your support.

I don't tend to get partial seizures, but I know can take all different sorts of forms: Physical or physiological (like twitches or a feeling of nausea), Sensory (like phantom sounds and smells), and Psychic (like deja vu or the confusion that you describe). If this is something new for you, you should make a note of it and let your neuro know -- especially if it lasts longer or happens more frequently than any previous partials.

My neurologist defines my main seizures as partial; simple complex and complex. Of my seizures, and auras, I get several shifts one way or the other, wierd, losing thought, and shifting to my out of reality zone. i really do hope Emee that things aren't shifting to a worse stage (new drugs maybe) for you, but merely a shift resulting via many out of your norms in the day.

Hi Emme, your question hit me just after I had something that seems similar. The wife and I were driving in an area that was very familiar to me the other day, now we did get to this one particular spot using a route I don't use as often, when suddenly I had little to no clue where I was. :/ I kind of mentioned it to her, and she got that concerned look on her face, but then I was able to kind of break out of it and figure out what was what. The weird thing wasn't that I didn't just know the road we were on but it almost felt like I had no idea where we were all together. This was a first for me and it had me a little bit freaked out for a while. I hope you don't get anymore and if I do I'll post again so that maybe we can figure out if it was just a goofy thing or if it's somehow related to our epilepsy.

That sounds scary! And yeah, it's probably neurological in origin. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom